• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 RMK Radiator

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Remove it but make sure you delete the entire loop. Not dont just join the inlet out let of the radiator ends. Don't put the restrictor in, and get a set of scratchers. You will ALWAYS run cooler if you do this. I removed mine last year and I was running mostly trails then. I was hitting 160's like nothing and then I did the above and now im never over 140. I hold right at 126 most of the time. Vents help alot also. The thermostat on this sled opens at 126 so the closer you stay the that the better. If you delete your radiator you will run cooler on trails and off.

F
Jan 14, 2009
Remove it but make sure you delete the entire loop. Not dont just join the inlet out let of the radiator ends. Don't put the restrictor in, and get a set of scratchers. You will ALWAYS run cooler if you do this. I removed mine last year and I was running mostly trails then. I was hitting 160's like nothing and then I did the above and now im never over 140. I hold right at 126 most of the time. Vents help alot also. The thermostat on this sled opens at 126 so the closer you stay the that the better. If you delete your radiator you will run cooler on trails and off.

My sled has vents, and I've done some research on the proper way to do the radiator delete but I'm still a little unclear as to what ice scratchers are, what they do, and where to get them. I'm a little new to sleds. I have a little more research to do. Thanks for the tips.

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
My sled has vents, and I've done some research on the proper way to do the radiator delete but I'm still a little unclear as to what ice scratchers are, what they do, and where to get them. I'm a little new to sleds. I have a little more research to do. Thanks for the tips.

Ice scratchers have a few forms but all accomplish the same thing. They dig into the snow or ice and throw up ice chips and snow. These airborne chips spray the hifax, thus lubricating it and rear coolers to help cool the sled.

They are designed for use when riding on harder snow and trails where the snow isn't flung around as much by the track.

Heres an image of slidekicks. The only reverse compatible scratcher I am aware of.

sledsidekicks.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
^^ what he said..but i prefer the scratchers from SUMMITSEEKER on the forum..i bought 2 sets from him last year and theya re AWESOME..$45/set..send him a PM or do a search for his product on here..

IMO the sidekicks do not have enough tension to really get in the ice and scrape enough to lube/cool the sled..but some have had good luck with them..

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
I used traditional scratchers from holz last season and they lasted until around the 5th or 6th time I reversed with them down. The tips broke off first, then the shafts broke. SummitSeekers scratchers are said to be a lot stronger and better made than others and I believe that.

I put two sets of slidekicks on this year and will see how that goes. I do have to say though, these things are BUILT. I have heard they got update from the first release. The pics dont do these things justice and I dont have any worries about lack of pressure.

I will definately let you guys know!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I have not rode with it out yet. I was really nervous about doing it but after reading TONS of threads about it on here sounds like it will run cooler.

it certainly won't run any warmer w/o out it and that's kind of the point of all the threads is that the rad. doesn't do anything

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
it certainly won't run any warmer w/o out it and that's kind of the point of all the threads is that the rad. doesn't do anything

LP is correct. It has been explained to death already in multiple posts but take it from those that have done it and had amazingly positive results.

It has a lot to do with improper airflow to the radiator and poor cooling system design allowing hot coolant to re-enter the coolant bottle.

Here is how to remove Link

G
Nov 26, 2007
Fusion vs. RMK

It seems like A LOT of the people that have 900's have the RMK's and don't trail ride much. I trail ride 95% of the time so I don't always have fresh powder to cool my sled down so I've been hesitant to remove it.

I didn't notice that you're riding a fusion. And you have a good point. The only reason to remove the radiator is to loose weight and that's the only way to use the SLP air horn and may some other aftermarket air horn kits, which also loose weight. For RMK/deep snow riders loosing weight is the issue and trails are only used to get to the deep. If you're riding trails most of the time and aren't concerned about weight, I wouldn't even consider removing it. The question for you I guess is why are you considering it. If you do choose to remove it IMO ice scratchers help alot and I think there is a thread on here somewhere about removing the radiator and not using the "restrictor" so that it the system is more free flow.

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
I didn't notice that you're riding a fusion. And you have a good point. The only reason to remove the radiator is to loose weight and that's the only way to use the SLP air horn and may some other aftermarket air horn kits, which also loose weight. For RMK/deep snow riders loosing weight is the issue and trails are only used to get to the deep. If you're riding trails most of the time and aren't concerned about weight, I wouldn't even consider removing it. The question for you I guess is why are you considering it. If you do choose to remove it IMO ice scratchers help alot and I think there is a thread on here somewhere about removing the radiator and not using the "restrictor" so that it the system is more free flow.

Good catch!

Yes the removing the radiator is most beneficial to RMK owners.

On the trail, scratchers are highly recommended if not mandatory if you remove the radiator. If you are satisfied with your current engine temps and loosing weight isnt an issue I wouldn't worry about removing the rad on a trail ridden fusion.

Last edited:
N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Even if you run %100 trails removing the radiator will keep your sled cooler. FACT proven by many. Delete the loop and don't use the restrictor.

It cleans things up, looses weight, makes your sled run better, and allows for front bumpers and many other accessories. I can't think of anything bad that comes out of removing your radiator... (other than the cost of all the scratchers I go through because I grab a fist full of throttle when I am in reverse...I refer to it as just doing a headlight check!! LOL)

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Mine doesn't run any cooler but it doesn't run warmer either. So I guess the question is, if you can do it for free, reduce weight, eliminate a possible failure point (stick through the rad or bad hoses), why wouldn't you do it? The scratchers are a necessity regardless for cooling of the motor and hifax.

I just used a piece of galvanized flashing to close off the area where the rad once was...think it cost me $1.50

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
TTT

This is the ORIGINAL Radiator Delete thread... finally got it moved into the 900 forum... :eek::D

Last edited:

powder dragin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2008
Nevada
Remove the radiator, for sure. The weight savings alone make it an easy choice.
Did this to an '06 900, and was pleased with the results. No temp problems. Also had the SLP intake. Very pleased with it as well.
:D

Premium Features