• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse Turbo VS MPI Stage 3 Supercharger

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
I agree that the turbo itself does have lag if measured with a backpressure gauge and forward pressure gauge in relationship to the acceleration of the crank and the throttle. It would take instruments like that installed on my Nytro to find it. You can make up any appreciable lag on a properly installed Impulse turbo by clutching for it. So I disagree on any perceived lag physically felt on my sled whatsoever. So basically, since the clutching makes up for any physical lag, who cares? Because that is possible and it runs outstanding, why would you go the Supercharger? You just eliminated the pros for going that direction IMO.
BB

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
BigBull hit it on the head. There IS no lag on a supercharger, but on a snomobile you can clutch a LOT of lag out. We have had awesome luck with both the turbo and the supercharger. I find the SC to work better in boondocking situations and find the turbo to work better on the big end for big long open pulls. They both rock and both require some care and feeding.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Lag?

:confused: When you jump on a sled set up with Paul's specs you can barely crack the throttle and the track spinns. Because of where the turbo is placed, throttle response is instant and I mean instant. Paul's systems have proven themselves time and time again against many others. The SC sleds I've seen wouldn't hold a candle against a sled with Paul's Impulse turbo, properly set up.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
You might want to consider keeping your day job 'cause your endeavors in comedy might prove to be very hungry times indeed!:eek:

venom1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ft mac,alberta
talk to darren @ e & s motorcycles in fort sask.they were at the friday night street legals and the diesel blackouts in edm. a couple weekends ago.they were running a mpi stg 2 s/c nytro @ 17lbs batteling it out with a t-apex @ 22 lbs.darren posted a 9.0 sec 1/4 mile in +30 deg c beating the t- apex,but by inches.the hole shot on the nytro was unbeleiveable.only got to talk with him for a few secs but he said that he wanted to run more boost but was creating to much heat.was a good thing because the t-apex wouldn't have stood a chance atleast not in the 1/4.there was an rx-1 there aswell which was super fast.they were all really close.don't quote me on this because i don't know all the facts but was sure nice to watch.:beer;

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
Fort St John , BC
I've seen many superchargers that actually work but they don't compare to the impulse kits, Pauls set up is superb and his customer support is exellent, just like others have said he'll help anyone even if you didn't buy his kit and he likes to shoot the **** and drink a silver sissy, my next kit will be a impulse

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
Sorry, Propane in a bottle will stay in liquid form at - ??F/C (specific number unknown) but if you try to get that propane to flow out of the bottle in colder temps it will gel in small lines. I know this because I work with it everyday for the last 3 ½, we have electric blankets to keep the bottles warm in the winter. I live in Grande Prairie AB; I have to travel to get to the mountains. Winter is my busy season, so no madder what the temp is when I get there I ride.
I ran a s/c propane truck for a few years and it ran great in -35 C but it had a block heater.Back in 94 there were a few propane turbo 580 cats in the area but they were not out in -35 . Even trying to start my RX1 with 100 ll at -20 I had to give it a shot of regular for it to fire.I simply would not go out in -35 and I dont think the sled would turn over in that condition no matter what the fuel is.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I ran a s/c propane truck for a few years and it ran great in -35 C but it had a block heater.Back in 94 there were a few propane turbo 580 cats in the area but they were not out in -35 . Even trying to start my RX1 with 100 ll at -20 I had to give it a shot of regular for it to fire.I simply would not go out in -35 and I dont think the sled would turn over in that condition no matter what the fuel is.

If you didnt have the right weight oil for those temps it would just turn into tar too!

In this particularity story I was ridding my 04 P.S.I power RMK with V.P. 110. The point I was trying to make is I DONT CARE WHAT THE TEMPERATURE IS WHEN I GET TO THE HILLS I AM GOING TO RIDE.

H

Heath@MPI

Dec 8, 2008
Either kit has amazing power and great potential. if someone is having issues on the top end with as supercharger i would say there clutches are overheating or running out of fuel.

The reason you see so much good and bad about MPI stuff is cause we have been out for Longer then any other forced air company.

Most issues with kits are fuel controller related. We now have a new one finally after promise after promise from our other distributor.

And Now that im here you dont need to worry about not getting your sled setup right cause i wont sleep till it is.

Paul is a great guy and build one hell of a product and either route you go i can guarantee happiness and one hell of a sled.

Now hopefully soon we will have tons of snow to play in. :beer;

H

Heath@MPI

Dec 8, 2008
Controlller will be a complete standalone system controlling timing and Fuel.

just need to finish testing

Hope to have enough snow to test it in the hills or we will make a treck to find some snow.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
dont go with a supercharger. if your going to try and run big horsepower and big shoots. you might as well go with a turbo. they just flat out run better. also you can tune out and clutch out the turbo lag. just need some time thats all. im running a turbo nytro at 28 pounds of boost and i dont have any lag. you just engage the clutch at a higher rpm (along with other stuff) and your turbo lag is gone.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
The regular kit will still make 20 pounds! Other kits like mcx ect. only want you to run 12 pounds."thats from mcx not me" With the Impulse kit you will have that choice to run a low tame boost to 25 pounds of savage. Customer service is excellent and a great kit, the choice is simple.My next kit will to be a Impulse.:beer;

This statement is absolutely false about the MCX kit. They do not say to run only 12 psi. With the 270 kit you can run 17 psi at 6000-7000 feet on pump gas. TRUE. I RAN IT FOR 2 YEARS.

Impulse is the one to get for all out performance right now. But dont put out false statements. Stand alone from impulse is the cats azz.

Thanks

As you can tell from my signature I have the Impulse race kit and I love it:D. The only sleds that beat me up the hill in revey were hit the NOS out of the hole:mad:. the only problem I had was I cracked my intercooler (Paul farmed out around 12 last year and most of them ended up needed to be repaired:eek:) other then that it ran great all year, I never had to even change the fuel settings. Paul has a great product and even better service, I rode with them as part of team Impulse last year at the Big Iron and we had so much fun we all got together again for Yamafest in April:cool:.

Looking forward to another great year with my Impulse boosted Nytro. I would strongly recommend this kit to anyone.

Thank you:
Redline Yamaha for the sled.
Paul & Hillary from Impulse
My buddy Jeff for help with the motor work
Dustin & Cody @ outlaw motorsports for the rods and pistons
Trevor @ Mac’s machine for the M10
Allen & Budd @ Timber Sled for the Bark Buster and bumper.
Curtis @ tracks Canada for the track, ski’s and drivers.
Kevin for the seat.
Rob @ L.S.M for the powder coating.
Ride safe, Have fun and make sure to rag on your buddy’s when they get stuck in the fluff...:beer;:beer;

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
This statement is absolutely false about the MCX kit. They do not say to run only 12 psi. With the 270 kit you can run 17 psi at 6000-7000 feet on pump gas. TRUE. I RAN IT FOR 2 YEARS.

Impulse is the one to get for all out performance right now. But dont put out false statements. Stand alone from impulse is the cats azz.

Hey Washy. Read the date on that post, thats back when the update was into play with the mcx with a re map and fuel pump, guys were upgrading back then or thinking to. That statement was not false.The MCX dealer (north American Dist) did not encourage the boost to be turned up. Two good friends i ride with were not encouraged by the dealer that sold them their kit to run higher boost or even pull some weight to get a few more RPM.Just ride it with the waste gate set up the way it was and clutching that was sent.Maybe they were playing safety? At the time, i thought that was a out right Joke!Seeing we are all fairly competitive among our group. You spend big money and there telling you to not crank up the boost. Where back then impulse was testing at 30 psi and trying to punish that sled to get the most he could out of it with reality and durability. I think MCX makes a great kit.After seeing you can run more boost and are reliable, but at the time that statement was made i thought different and so did others.

Last edited:
W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
EZmoney, yep I did not look at the post date. Just read the post and replied. My bad. BOOST ON

Premium Features