• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wilderness Proposals are Back

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
Nice to see the democrats from New York know waht we need out west.Swampy:eek::mad::(

Bill would add wilderness to state

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- A New York congresswoman has again introduced a wide-reaching wilderness protection bill that would ban logging, oil exploration and other development on 23 million acres across five Northwestern states.

As in previous years, the proposal by Democratic Rep. Carolyn Maloney drew criticism from some Western lawmakers who view it as an intrusion on their turf. The Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act would designate millions of new wilderness acreage in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, and add smaller amounts of wilderness in eastern Oregon and eastern Washington.

No member of Congress from any of the five states has agreed to co-sponsor the bill, which Maloney has pushed in Congress since 1993. Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz., is a co-sponsor of the latest version. The bill would create 9.5 million acres of new wilderness in Idaho, 7 million acres in Montana, 5 million acres in Wyoming, 750,000 acres in northeastern Oregon and 500,000 acres in eastern Washington.

Rep. Denny Rehberg, R-Mont., called the bill a "top-down approach" that does not account for effects on the local economy or adequately protect access for hunting, fishing and other forms of recreation.

"Montana doesn't need Washington, D.C., imposing its will and telling us how to take care of our public lands," Rehberg said. "We're going to fight this. As a state that's almost one-third public lands, we have no choice."

Maloney, who represents New York City, said the bill would protect some of America's most beautiful and ecologically important lands while saving money and creating jobs.

"Many of America's most precious natural resources and wildlife are found in the Northern Rockies," she said, adding that the wilderness proposal "would help protect those resources by drawing wilderness boundaries according to science, not politics."

The measure would also mitigate the effect of climate change on wildlife by protecting corridors that allow grizzly bears, caribou, elk, bison, wolves and other wildlife to migrate to cooler areas, she said.

The plan would forbid most development across broad swaths of public land in the five states. It calls for the removal of more than 6,000 miles of existing roads, primarily within national forests. Old logging roads would be removed, and habitat restored in most of those areas, creating about 2,300 jobs and leading to a more sustainable economic base in the region, said Michael Garrity, executive director of the Montana-based Alliance for the Wild Rockies, an advocacy group.

The wilderness measure has been introduced every Congress for nearly two decades, but has only twice made it so far as a public hearing, in 1994 and in 2007.

A significant number of Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Rep. Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee, spoke favorably of the bill in 2007, and even more lawmakers from both parties are likely to back the bill this year, Garrity said.

"We think we're making tremendous progress. We have a new president who is much more supportive of wilderness, and we think we have an excellent chance" of winning congressional approval, Garrity said.

A key argument in favor of the bill is a plan to dismantle old logging roads and restore habitat in many areas that have been clear-cut by logging, Garrity said. "This bill puts people to work" in a manner reminiscent of the old Civilian Conservation Corps created in the New Deal, he said.

See the map

For a map of the proposed wilderness areas go to www.wildrockies.org/nrepa/brochure/nrepa_map.html

http://wildrockies.org/nrepa/brochure/nrepa_map.html

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Looks like the old Yellowstone to Yukon map. Didn't know grizzlies need a wilderness corridor through the foothills above Boise. No one's seen a grizzly here in forever.

Well, that would pretty much end sledding around here. We really need to be thinking about forming our own country.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
I don't think this will move to fast and hopefully SAWS will be right on it with the right legislators to target but I am going to start emailing or calling all of the western legislators just to be a pain in their neck. Swampy:mad:

Swampy- I saw this in our local paper also. Makes me both scared and angry:mad: Time to start sending emails asap!!

R
Apr 24, 2008
Douglas County, Minnesota
Maloney, who represents New York City, said the bill would protect some of America's most beautiful and ecologically important lands while saving money and creating jobs.

I don't want to be as presumptuous as her. I live in Minnesota, not the West, so I'll ASK people that live there this question. How does closing millions of acres of public land to logging, hunting, motorized recreation, mining, and drilling save money and create jobs?

Doesn't she realize that if we drill for oil here in the U.S. that the federal government could collect royalties on that oil? Then she and her Manhattan liberal friends could get a warm and fuzzy feeling by buying Henrietta Hughes a new car and a new house. Why can't urban liberals leave the real world alone??

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Swampy. :D

These folks are totally nutts. :mad:

But yes, here we go again with this crazy bill in the 111th Congress that has been introduced by this loon from New York every year for many years and previously had never passed, but could this year be different? It is certainly possible with the changes in Congress and the White House.

I will put something together and send out to our SAWS members hopefully this weekend. I have been out of town and just read some of the recent articles on the internet about this bill being introduced again this year. I must admit I am not surprised.

Here is a link to our last SAWS Action Alert during the 110th Congress.

http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/...Northern_Rockies_Ecosystem_Protection_Act.htm

Not much has changed since our previous alert, so the info and Congress contact info would be the same, but the bill number WILL be different, but I can't find the bill number as of today. My guess is that the bill number is not assigned yet. So if you write your representative, DO NOT reference bill number HR1975, just refer to the bill as the "Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act".

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Well, I am just so happy that New York speaks for us out west. :mad: Looks like we have a real battle over the next 4 years if not more. I will be writing my letters! Like how the word "job creation" is the key word to this issue.

highmtn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kelso WA
Why don't we create jobs by bulldozing half of NYC and planting trees there? Then they could have a wilderness area of their very own? Thousands of acres that get used by very few. I'd like the congresswoman to walk one 100 acre timbersale with me and then tell me she needs millions of acres to feel like she's in the woods

Premium Features