• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Polaris Pro RMK 800 Bog/Detonation

T
Mar 19, 2017
I have a strange issue going on at the moment that I'm hoping I can get some help with before bringing it to the dealer:

2017 with 300 miles. Issue has happened in the last 2 tanks of fuel it seems:

- When the sled is straight up (Wheelie) after about 2 seconds at wide open throttle it starts missing / bogging out until you let off.

- The same thing will happen during a steep climb

- As the day goes on & the fuel gets low in the tank it also seems to get worse.

- Maximum detonation light will also come on at times. (Mag side or PTO)

My guess is the fuel pump, but at the point it isn't making at strange noises.

Thanks in advance

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
maybe check the pipe fittings heard of one that hade a gasket go bad and at WOT it was filling under the hood with EX gasses.... seems to me it would have ben the loss of backpressure in the pipe but ether way just something to look at {cant match that up with the low fuel}

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have a strange issue going on at the moment that I'm hoping I can get some help with before bringing it to the dealer:

2017 with 300 miles. Issue has happened in the last 2 tanks of fuel it seems:

- When the sled is straight up (Wheelie) after about 2 seconds at wide open throttle it starts missing / bogging out until you let off.

- The same thing will happen during a steep climb

- As the day goes on & the fuel gets low in the tank it also seems to get worse.

- Maximum detonation light will also come on at times. (Mag side or PTO)

My guess is the fuel pump, but at the point it isn't making at strange noises.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like over rev

E
Jan 20, 2011
cashmere washington
I had a very similar issue. One day my sled would miss and bog and hit the det light several times during the day. Snow was deep so I know I wasn't over reving. It Would bog as I hammered the throttle and got the skis off the ground like you said. Took it to the dealer and it was the tps was out of adjustment. It's been fine since

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
I had a very similar issue. One day my sled would miss and bog and hit the det light several times during the day. Snow was deep so I know I wasn't over reving. It Would bog as I hammered the throttle and got the skis off the ground like you said. Took it to the dealer and it was the tps was out of adjustment. It's been fine since

Same here, TPS out of spec.

T
Mar 19, 2017
I just wanted to touch base with this issue again. I had it to the dealer. They really couldn't find anything other then possible bad fuel. However I'm really curious on code: P1552 (Stuck Throttle Error) 17 counts. The dealer said this doesn't mean anything but the sled was wide open?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Yup over Rev. Mine did the same. I just added weight.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Det

A friend of mine has the same issue with his 17, he took it to the dealer and they could not find a thing wrong, and told him that it might just be bad fuel. He is now being told by the dealer that their has been a few sleds that have the pipe hitting the bulkhead causing the sleds to through a det code, they said that they are having to shim for clearance, not sure where though. Their have also been issues with 4 wire connections, (5 if you have electric start) one in the cover above the clutch guard, two on the cross bar above your Y pipe and two by the battery, they have been getting water in them causing corrosion, their is a post on here about this.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
One thing to keep in mind, as there is no external fuel filter on the Axys RMKs, there is a filter in the tank that's part of the fuel pick-up unit. I would suggest those with the 16 models think about changing that out this summer as preventative maintenance.

The part number is: 2205618

At Babbits (online), it costs around $123 + shipping for the pick-up unit which includes the filter.

T
Mar 19, 2017
After doing some of my own testing here is what I have figured out. If the sled has 1/4 tank there isn't much fuel left at all. Not enough for the sock - valves to pick up enough fuel if the sled is on an angle or under hard acceleration you will get a miss / bog. With more then 1/4 tank I am experiencing no issues. Has anyone else run into this issue?

D
Feb 25, 2019
OK I am in the same boat. Got this 2017 RMK 800 this year. Have put a couple of hundred miles on it. Had some random detonation, may be 2-3 per ride. Since our fuel has Ethanol in it I changed the fuel type in the computer to non premium today eventhough I have 91 Octane in the tank to see if the detonation problem goes away. Well it did not detonate today but at the end of a 30 mile ride it started to bog, would clear and run strong and then bog now the bogging is more consistant. Checked cylinder compression and they are good and the same. Starting to wonder about my TPS setting. This engine was suppsedly completely rebuilt by two owners back, he is a mechanic in town. 4000 miles on the sled. Anyway was running great other than 1-2 detonations but then again today I have a bogging issues, definite lack of power. When I open the throttle wide open it clears and then bogs again. Any ideas appreciated. Will start to dig into it more tomorrow.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
If it hits too high of rpm it will detonate or if the pipe hits the frame. Can try 2 grams more weight in the primary or a different spring. Sounds like it's running rich in the ethanol mode.

Premium Features