• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you want to cure the belt chatter and hot belts on your Proclimb 800?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J
Oct 11, 2009
Iowa
I have been following this post off and on since it started...No snow to ride on to do my own testing..I do have a few questions when I am looking at these posts. We all know that some are having issues and some not... What causes belt failure? Heat, bad belt?
What creates heat? belt slipping, alignment, wrong compound of belt, not able to keep cool?
Just looking at how many openings we have in the front end allowing snow in would lead to belt slipping, heat and failure..
The reason I say this is why would cat already have a side panel vent pointed at the belt? Early testing proved that cat had an issue?

How much heat is to much? Is the belt chattering related to the failures? Did everyone who heard chattering have a failure?
The people who are not having failures? are they riding in corn fields vs mountain powder?

With the old M's everyone talked about having to get rid of heat? Did we have belt failures?

Just trying to provoke thought around are we missing something simple? Shortage of belts?? are they all the same?

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
RKT... or anyone else trying out these fixes.

For the bushing idea for an additional TSL holding location, has anyone see or tried these?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sleeve-bearings/=fvhck9

Scroll down to vibration dampening bushing. There is a neoprene layer sandwiched between the bushing sleeves.

I have not read through the last several pages, but there seems to be more questions than findings lately. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
if your going to use rkt fix you are going to need these bushings.after 100 miles my holes in the bracket were ovaled.i truley believe the problem lies in bad belts and poor clutching by ac.in there hurry to get these sleds out they threw some shat together.i have been running the 020 with great success,other than the belt being to big.i have done some other clutching changes also,but to aviod being told i did something wrong by the desk jockys here in sw i will keep quite.6ft of great snow and 100 miles on a belt with no pulled cords, must have done something right.peace:face-icon-small-coo

Nickname

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Sweden
I checked my belt today, and it seens that the clutches only grab upper half of the belt, (where the cord is). So i belive the angle on the belt is of.
I got ca 130 km on one belt no pulled cords.

G
Jan 18, 2012
if your going to use rkt fix you are going to need these bushings.after 100 miles my holes in the bracket were ovaled.i truley believe the problem lies in bad belts and poor clutching by ac.in there hurry to get these sleds out they threw some shat together.i have been running the 020 with great success,other than the belt being to big.i have done some other clutching changes also,but to aviod being told i did something wrong by the desk jockys here in sw i will keep quite.6ft of great snow and 100 miles on a belt with no pulled cords, must have done something right.peace:face-icon-small-coo

What are the clutch changes that you have made if i might ask i still have strait 36bull**** helix and 70u g weights got to take it on one ride so far i have the high country 800 and 83 miles i smoked my first one.... snow ingestion is definately happening so ill be patching up holes and problematic ways for sno to get in. Also noticed that the belt and clutches were SOOOO HOTTTT im going to try frogzskin vents... has anyone tried this yet and just see how much temperature that will relief. I have read this whole thred and have only noticed one guy that uses vents. Id like a different helix since the 36one is not allowing full shift.

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
i choose not to get into clutching on this forum.1,000000000000000 ways to do it right.get with guys in your area and visit with them about what works and what dosent.i will say the 36 can be modified to work and there are threads about this.elavation is the first factor.:face-icon-small-coo

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I checked my belt today, and it seens that the clutches only grab upper half of the belt, (where the cord is). So i belive the angle on the belt is of.
I got ca 130 km on one belt no pulled cords.

I noticed the same thing. Only the top is wearing and not the bottom.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I noticed the same thing. Only the top is wearing and not the bottom.

I heard that was the issue....belts cut a couple degrees wrong. Anyone having the issue with aftermarket belts or has that possibility already been beaten to death earlier in the thread?

J

jkjasperson

Jan 28, 2008
Rock Springs, Wyoming
Funny you bring this up I was looking at my clutches last night and it seems to me that all the sheeve faces are around 14* and the belt seemed to be cut at a 16-17* angle. This is the first belt i have any kind of miles on because the rest i removed out the bellypan in pieces, It seems that it is only making contact on the top half of the belt. I was going to compare the belt angles to other belts but i didnt have any other belts around. Anyone elts compare any? I will look at other belts as soon as i get in from work tonight.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Now you are seeing what I am seeing!!!!!

I have seen the sheaves from 13.5 to 15 degrees. Belts should be 13.

I have yet to see a FLAT set of stock sheaves.

I machines some flat, but am running them on the 1100, which is running cooler than the 800 anyway.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
I did notice all my belts didnt look like they were grabbing the belt evenly (by looking at the wear on them)

Like the belt to sheave angle was off...

Could be why breaking the belts in is so critical cause were essentially refacing the angle of the belt in the first 50 miles!

-Aksnopro

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I'm cat ignorant right now....do the 800 and 1100 use a different belt?
Is the 800 belt a "new" belt number for this chassis?

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
If that's the will we be looking at an enormous recall of secondaries by cat? Or will they just deny it and ignore they had a problem?

That would explain why some have issues and some do not.

Perhaps the bad secondaries cause one problem and the jackshaft movement is causing a separate less severe problem?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yes, the 800 uses the 0627-083 and the 1100Turbo uses the 0627-082.

I'm simple minded...bare withe me....are the 800 and 1100 clutches the same sheave angle (same clutches?) and are the 083 and 082 different angles?? (not necessarily per spec, but actual measurements when you compare belts)??
I guess what I'm getting at, was it possible the "spec" for the 800 belt is wrong? and then the aftermarket also used the "wrong" spec info?
I see this everyday in my "normal" job, all it takes is a engineer or planner to make a little mistake and it goes unnoticed and causes all sorts of problems.
It HAS to be something simple since some guys have ZERO issue and some can't make a belt last 25 miles....a little birdie told me weeks ago there was a belt mfrg. issue. True or not I don't know.

K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
Guess I'll have to throw my STM measuring bar on one and see what the dial indicator has to say then.

I know how much a conventionally mounted engine moves, and its a ton.

Like I said before, I have seen turbo sleds with the mag end of the engine .180" low, and twisted pto side forward with .100" difference (measured at the front and back of the fixed sheave to a straight edge clamped in the secondary)

IMHO There is no way these sleds are getting a fraction of that misalignment.

FWIW has any one mounted a camera to record what is going on under real world loading?

J

jkjasperson

Jan 28, 2008
Rock Springs, Wyoming
Now you are seeing what I am seeing!!!!!

I have seen the sheaves from 13.5 to 15 degrees. Belts should be 13.

I have yet to see a FLAT set of stock sheaves.

I machines some flat, but am running them on the 1100, which is running cooler than the 800 anyway.

From what i can tell all my sheeves are 14* and look to be flat. The belt lookes like its around 16-17* and when i checked an 082,020, and a dayco belt they all look like 13-14*

Premium Features