• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Reverse Bolt Breakage Issue Update

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We have seen every one of the Nytros with reverse that we have pulled apart have the broken bolt issue that was posted on here a while ago. There is an updated bolt available. We have them in stock. Yamaha is going to warranty them.

From what I have found the bolt is too long. Even the updated bolt is too long. At the factory during assembly it appears that they bottom out against the driveshaft and then break as soon as the machine goes into use. This is indicated on every one that I have seen by a sheer break. They are shiny which indicates that the two halves of the bolt have been bouncing against each other for quite some time even on low mileage sleds. We are taking 2-3 threads off the new bolt and then installing them.

Have your dealer log all warranties possible. This is the only way to get problems fixed on the assembly line.

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
i had mine apart last week for a track change the bolt was ok, as for the chaincase its not bad just set everything in a line and place them all up as they come out, pay attention on reassembly to the reverse fork, and test it with the sled in the air by spining the track, also the 2 green bolts need to be removed to get the case off

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Lucky: is yours a reverse model? I ask because EVERY one of the sleds I have been into the bolt was broken. If your bolt is not broken, pull it out and shorten it.

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
yes mine is the reverse modle i didnt learn of the problem until i had completed the track switch, one guy did tell me to check it looked good so i just put it back, the new ones that you have are they anything special or just shortened versions. id rather do it myself if possible rather then haul it to the dealer

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
NO, the new ones are the same length and from what I can see will break just like the old ones. They need shortened, new or old.

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
Racinstation, i'm not sure I get it, if the bolt is torqued to 40lbs and bottomed into the driveshaft, how easy was yours to get out?
I cant see an easy out pulling a bolt that is crushed into the bottom of the hole
Also if the bolt can take 40lbs torque then what caused it to break?, there would have been no load on the head
No arguing, just dont see how?

N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
Pulled mine apart tonight, broke as well. I measured the depth of the threads into the shaft and there was still 1/2" of thread left behind the broken bolt.Don't see how it would have been bottomed.Drilled it out and used an 8mm wrench to back it out, maybe 5ft/lbs which was probably just the resistance of the loctite. What's breaking it? The thing works with out the bolt so what kind of force would be present to break it. I will try the 2-3 threads off,but not convinced, but also no better solution or explanation!

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Its not bottoming in the hole....same here I drilled right thru it with a gap behind the bolt. I got a 10.9 grade bolt and gonna try that....for some reason there is force on there. On the no reverse models does it have that collar and the outter brg in the cover??

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
If it works without the bolt, what is the bolts purpose? It is interesting that a bolt that is not needed is breaking. :eek:

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
more info please

If it works without the bolt, what is the bolts purpose? It is interesting that a bolt that is not needed is breaking. :eek:

This is what I would like to know also...there was another thread where guys say they are just leaving the bolt out???

I haven't taken mine apart yet...like ruffryder said, what bolt is it, what does it do, and what is causing it to break...inquiring minds want to know!!

thanks
modsledr

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It DOES need fixed and we are currently working with Yamaha on a fix. Right now they lack warranty claims through the dealers to back it up. They said that the number of warranty claims on this issue is almost non existant. So, if you have a failure you need to let your dealer know so he can let Yamaha know.:beer;

R
Nov 26, 2007
COSTCO
called my dealer today and said hes never heard a reverse bolt breaking and yamaha has no warrnanty recalls on the nytro . what do i do ? take them the broken bolt ?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
OF COURSE, you must have done something wrong. If you could PM me where you live and we can get the information where it needs to go, actually I'll PM you.:D

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
racinstation,

could you please post a little more info...what bolt is breaking, what does this bolt do, why are some saying they are running without it?

Thanks,
modsledr

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The bolt is the bottom sprocket bolt that goes through into the driveshaft of the reverse models. I have done a few of them and MOST are not bottoming out, just breaking. These bolts are coming out fairly easy. BUT, as stated above I had 1 that was bottomed out and it was a BEAR to get out because of 40lbs of torque and loctite. It does appear that you could run without it. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND RUNNING WITHOUT THIS BOLT.

i would think the reason it aint hurting anything is because the reverse linkage is still holding it straight on the axle and it doesnt have any room to back out. i still wouldnt be driving around with no bolt on the bottom gear.:eek:

Premium Features