• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 ZR 200 brief review

PaddleTracker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yesterday was the maiden voyage for our new ZR 200. The purpose for buying this sled was to get my girls more comfortable with riding in the hopes that we sled more as a family. The girls are almost 10 years old and 6 years old for reference. In short, the ZR 200 was a good purchase!

My older daughter rode it almost non-stop, going "fast" on the trail and going into the loose snow. On the trail, next to my sled top speed (6k feet elevation) was 23 MPH, eventually and very gradually making it up to 24 MPH.

In the loose snow (6-10" of dry snow) it motored right on through. She got stuck once, hopped off, lifted the back end up and moved it maybe and inch or two and got back on and drove right out.

She burned about a 1/2 tank of fuel over the course of a few hours.

Bottom line: steers easy, great ergos for the kids, fast enough that it is fun to ride, but not intimidating. The sled performed really well for its purpose.
Thanks cat/yamaha for giving us a long overdue size machine!

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I'd agree with this. My 7 (almost 8) year old rode his on a 5-6 hour ride, burning ~3/4 tank of gas. Similar speeds, low 20s, in a few inches of fresh on the trail. Decent off trail, if he kept the speed up.

Would be an absolute blast with a little more track and double the power, but it's exceeded my expectations for what it is.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Thank you Cat

I think Cat probably deserves the Lion's share of the praise for the ZR200 development.

My initial review last year this time is at the link below.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438955

It's very similar to what you guys are saying. Sure, we would love even more power, the next step up, but as is, this is still a really terrific step up from the 120 and I'm really grateful it came around just in time (really about 3 years too late, but still, better late than never) for my little family. My kid is 9 now (a small 9 year old though: 4'4" and 65 pounds) and he was driving it around the yard again today loving it and showing me his scooter walks etc.

Thank you Cat
Thank you Cat
Thank you Cat
And thanks Yamaha as well for the engine.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
unstuck

And it's also super awesome how easy they are to get unstuck. When the kid is 5,6,7, the adult just lifts the back, gives a little push, and you're off. When the kid is 8,9,10, he can legitimately begin to get himself unstuck (especially if he has the help of another kid) and start to learn how to do that for himself as well. It is just such a terrific learning tool for the kids in so many ways.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
I am pumped. Had both my girls (4&6) out in the yard tonight on the 120. They love it, but my 6 year old is ready for the next step. I picked up a new purple ZR200 for her. It is sitting in my trailer for Xmas. Definitely want to say thank you to Cat and Yamaha for this sled. Admittedly, it was a stretch for my budget but when I figure that this sled will likely be ours for the next 8-10yrs, it was a no brainer for me. Plus the youth sleds hold their values.

I really think it is a home run for the younger generation and am pumped to get getting both of my kids involved at such a young age.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Me too, did that last Christmas for my 8yo daughter!! My dealer told me today that AC is only making a limited supply for this year; Sadly, there is going to be some kids that don't get one in time for Christmas:sad:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Come on man!!!

Just let Christmas come early for that cute little 6 year old. You know you wanna!!!

I actually gave mine last year for Christmas as well, but I had an excuse. We didn't have any snow until literally Christmas day, the timing was so perfect. Shoot, if I had seen the kids out there on the 120, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to hold back. The temptation would have been too much.

Here is the video. You can see my grass was still bare. My Dad's house though, 50 miles north had gotten a good 8", so as soon as Christmas morning was over, it was time to pack up the scoot and head to Grandpa's for a real Christmas celebration!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Sbfsy7mnU

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
We have close to a dozen tanks of gas through our 19 ZR200 already. My 6 yo loves it. He's probably the size of a 8 yo and the ergos fit him good. I wasn't sure on speed for him so put a hose clamp behind the throttle. Works great at limiting speed.

Last edited:

catzr

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Selah
zr 200

I am pumped
we have gone the 60 route
the 120 and repowered it
now we have the 2019 200 under the tree for our
7 yr old grandson, the first of 3

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Dozen?

You have put a dozen tanks of gas through your scoot already? Man I wish I lived in Canada!!! I've had my scoot for a year now and I may well not be up to a dozen tanks of gas even after a year.

I'm excited even just by proxy for all these kids getting the raddest christmas present ever. I look forward to seeing the videos from everybody of the kids tearing it up!!

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
You have put a dozen tanks of gas through your scoot already? Man I wish I lived in Canada!!! I've had my scoot for a year now and I may well not be up to a dozen tanks of gas even after a year.

I'm excited even just by proxy for all these kids getting the raddest christmas present ever. I look forward to seeing the videos from everybody of the kids tearing it up!!

We're at about tank #25 right now. Machine runs well. I've got it governed to about 15-18mph. He's comfy on it. Measured him today and he's 52in at 6.5 years old and about 68lbs. Fits him perfectly.

Amazed at cranking up suspension and me being 200lbs+ I have trouble bottoming it.

Have towed 4 kids in a train on seperate toboggans with me driving without issue.

Biggest beef is this is not a cold blooded motor. It definately takes some choke massaging to get it to idle when its cooler out. Once started starts much better, but still doesn't take long for the machine to sit before it needs to be choked to start again.

Would buy again in aheartbeat....

B
Dec 29, 2018
I've been on a 12 month love/hate with our two ZR200s and can't quite sing the praises you guys can.

AC and Yamaha both failed on follow through with these sleds and left a lot of buyers (and young riders) frustrated over issues with these sleds. Almost every forum one visits that has any mention of the ZR/Snoscoot has very common themes.

There are upsides, and it isn't a total sob story, but there are folks at both AC/Yamaha that should be ashamed of themselves for putting these out on the market without fixes available or communicated.

My kids have close to 300mi on thier sleds now, with some fairly major trips under their belts. We ride 0-2000' elevations.

A few pics from the "high country" at our cabin...

RVYLzg.jpg

fPHSb2.jpg

First the ergos:
Mostly upsides to the ergos of the sled, from handlebar height to throttle position.
Big downside is the ground transfer vibration from the ski to the handle bars. I've ridden these sleds, and there is justifiable reason for my kids to want to stop fairly frequently to rest their arms. I have not found a fix for this yet.

Pilot jet: I get the EPA stepped in and they were jetted lean from the get go. Factory carb was a 50.0 pilot and they were leaned down to a 37.5. ****ty cold start and idle issues enter stage right... At least give an option for additional pilot jet sizes. Luckily for the sledding community you have folks like Rec Motors out there making a drill kit to open them up a bit (don't forget to open your air screw a bit too). There are NO stock pilot jets available right now, none, across the country. I find out that Yamaha is offering a 38.9 pilot, but AC is not. I also found a local guy that sourced me a 42.5 and a 47.5 to try. This will fix the cold start, the rough idle, and the bobble on take off.

Exhaust gasket failures: Multiple reports (including both of mine) of the failure of the exhaust gaskets failing, causing issues and damage to whatever the hot exhaust comes in contact with. I still have melted plastics (again, not available for order, at the time anyways).

Warm starts: Lots of complaints (mine included) of trouble with warm starts. Yamaha failed to put enough heat isolation on the gaskets on the engine side of the carb. Guess what, ride it long enough then shut it down, try to restart....pain in the but. The heat transfer is enough to cause the fuel in the bowl to vapor off. They put an insulator in place for MY 2019 to fix this, but guess what? You can't order that part, so if you have a MY 2018 you are SOL. I am currently working with a gasket company back east that is sending me a few different styles and thicknesses to try. I'm going to order a couple hundred of them!!

TSS: Still having idle issues? Yep, the TSS doesn't adjust well. At least they give you the option for adjusting it, but the first thing I did was disconnect it.

Other than "that" Mrs. Lincoln; I enjoyed the play.......

The kids are still rallying these sleds, and I'm still fixing them as fast as possible (two new carbs just showed up yesterday so I could steal the stock pilot jet out of them because that is the only way to source a pilot at the moment).

These sleds were a great idea; it was long over due to rethink the entry sleds. I've got a new EVO to transition sister off of her ZR200 next year and little brother will transition to an EVO in 2020.

It is just unfortunate that both companies failed on the follow through; compounded by the inability of the average joe to get feedback to either company and forced to go through local dealers.

Cheers and best of luck to you all with your kiddos and their new rides....

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Bummer

That's a bummer to hear. That's the first I've heard of kids needing to stop to rest their arms. I wonder if that is specific to your machines, although that would be weird for it to be both of them. I'm riding anywhere from 4,500 feet to 10,000 feet, so that explains why I haven't had any complaint about the jetting being too lean. I guess I better check my exhaust gasket. :face-icon-small-dis I can attest that it has not been the easiest starting sled ever. So far though it has never left me stranded, so I'm happy about that. I'm also not operating it at probably nearly as cold of temperatures as you as well. Yes, I just unplugged my TSS the other day as I got sick of it. However, I saw this video that I like a little better and might try as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2x3GZjQWLI

I hope you start to have better luck. Sorry you haven't been super satisfied so far.

PaddleTracker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I disagree with the assessment on the starting issues. I usually full choke, slightly press on throttle (barely), start it and hold the throttle still with a slight press and listen to the engine. When the engine's rpms start to decline I push the choke to half, then repeat until no choke.

I'd rather do that than have my kids flood it because they are impatient. Sleds run good and idle well once warmed up. Given the price point you cannot expect efi. I would argue these work quite well given the small size of the engine and the fact they are carbed.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I disagree with the assessment on the starting issues. I usually full choke, slightly press on throttle (barely), start it and hold the throttle still with a slight press and listen to the engine. When the engine's rpms start to decline I push the choke to half, then repeat until no choke.

I'd rather do that than have my kids flood it because they are impatient. Sleds run good and idle well once warmed up. Given the price point you cannot expect efi. I would argue these work quite well given the small size of the engine and the fact they are carbed.
Maybe this is part of the design= Parental Controls

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Big downside is the ground transfer vibration from the ski to the handle bars. I've ridden these sleds, and there is justifiable reason for my kids to want to stop fairly frequently to rest their arms. I have not found a fix for this yet.
Ours does have this vibration too, it is annoying.

Pilot jet: I get the EPA stepped in and they were jetted lean from the get go. Factory carb was a 50.0 pilot and they were leaned down to a 37.5.
Thanks for that info! We found that you can pour a tiny bit of fuel through the air filter and it'll start right up. Then once warm, no issues.

We had ours and two 120s out just in the field over the weekend, with a few inches of fresh, fluffy snow. The difference between the ability of the two is enormous. My 8 year old on the 200 could go anywhere he wanted, making his own track, climbing little hills, anything. The 5 year olds on the 120s could barely go downhill in a track.

T
Thanks my daughter is 10 and is getting one under the tree this year. She is small for her age so I hope she can get a couple good years out of it.

Took her out on Saturday into some lower backcountry. Was amazed how well that little sled did in some pretty deep snow. She would get on my track and just go and go. Super happy with the purchase. Even though it is technically a Yamaha:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features