• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

670 into summit 550 fan cooled! what to run for cooling?

P

prairieguy

Nov 26, 2007
Hey guys, I have an opportunity to get a rolling summit chassis (01-03 I think) to put my 670 in the only problem is it was a 550 fan cooled engine that was taken out of it. How hard is it going to be to install coolers? What cools should I run? Also has anyone done some kind of mod like this? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I would say if you have some fab skills and access to a tig welder get some U-Cooler material and make one up. If not most big name companies can do it for some $$$, just give em all the measurements you need to fit it.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Shouldnt be a problem to add a decent sized U-cooler...drill holes thru the bulkhead in a stockish spot (as compared to say the S-chassis you got the 670 from)...then use the 670 coolant hoses...

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
You should be able to run a tunnel cooler with this, just drill the two holes in the bulkhead/tunnel and route the cooling lines, its up to you if you want to run a reservoir or not, if so get one from PSI or another aftermarket company and plumb it in. The chassis' were generally all the same between the fans and the liquids, the bulkhead should have the holes cast in it, the tunnel just probably won't have them drilled through. I have a ZX chassis in the garage I can look at for you tonight to see how they ran the cooling lines.

P

prairieguy

Nov 26, 2007
nosecondchance, that would be appreciated if you could make me a digram on how to run the lines with a resivor

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
does the ZX chassis have a tiped up tunnel or straight. if it's tipped I have a 55 1/2 " cooler from a GTX Rev sitting in the garage that I'd sell cheap. has 2 up tubes to come up through the front of the tunnel between tank and jackshaft and would be plenty of cooler to cool the 670. PM if interested.

P

prairieguy

Nov 26, 2007
sorry guys its a 2000 or 2001 model i was told it was newer ut went and looked at it today and its an older model.

XC700116, will your cooler still work i'm intrested but i won't now untill next monday, that is when i'm picking up the sled.

i just got to figure how to run a resivor now.

thanks
joe

Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
go withrunning board heaters

I would finds some running board heaters off of a mid 90's polaris indy they would be ez to install and it keep the snow off the boards.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Will post some pics up tomorrow, my drawing ain't that good.

As promised. The coolant lines from the reservoir and to the reservoir run to the cooler in front of the drivers and then down the big u-cooler in the tunnel.

Sorry the pics ain't that great, the lines run through the bulkhead under the motor so I'd have to pull the motor to show you where they go. I would route them just in front of the gast tank into the tunnel and into a U-cooler running the length of the tunnel. I'm not a big fan of the front coolers near the drivers, more chance you're going to rip a piece out if you pull a rock in IMO.

edit: pics didn't work, trying again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Premium Features