• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Questions for you guys with sx kits

Nov 13, 2008
Test rode two different bikes yesterday. One was a Ktm 530 with a st kit and the other was a '11 rmz 450 with a sx kit. The rmz seemed to handle much better than the Ktm. The Ktm had very heavy steering feel. Wondering if the difference came from the bike, the kit, or a combination of both. Also the sx track has only like a quarter inch from the edge of the window to the edge of the track. Wondering if anyone has had any issues with the track. Kinda leaning toward a sx kit. I'll be riding it about 2-3 trips a year out west and also do some trails, ditch, and single track riding at home here in mn. Big question is will I be giving up a lot of back country capability with the sx? Decisions, decisions....

First - the RMZ is a much better handling bike than a KTM 530, some of that will transfer to the snow. The heavy steering feeling is likely the bike more than the kit, however the SX does handle a lot better than the ST kits also.

I haven't had or head of any problems with the outer 1/4" of the SX track tearing. The 2-Moto tracks are open on the outer edge, I never had a problem with that either.

Riding in MN with only a few trips out west, I would go for the SX kit with out a doubt. I live in the mountains and ride an SX kit. They give up a little on the deep days, but they're way better on all other days.

Last edited:
R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Yep, that 530 is what's over promoting the heavy feeling for sure. I would definitely go for the SX with where you live. You won't be at much of a disadvantage when you come out West... and you can't be promised that we will be nipple deep power every trip.

M
Nov 23, 2010
Bozeman
If you are only coming out west a few times and are mostly going to be riding in MN then I would recommend a sx or a updated ufo kit. I have both, They are both fairly comparable. The SX is narrower so that helps with leaning on hard pack and handles effortless. The UFO is just flat out fun, you can load the rear to attack larger bumps, it handles great and is fun to boondock.I would say the UFO is going to take much more abuse, The craftsmanship is impressive and its built all out of billet aluminum with no welds. I have went thru several bearings and had to replace a few parts and add some welds on my sx kit. In deep snow both kits are dead even. Both kits are on 13 RMZ's.

C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
I have a 2006 YZ450f with a 2013 SX kit. I absolutely love it. I have made a few adjustments and have been able to boondock in the steep and deep just as well as a ST kit. The third shock makes it much more fun on the trail and jumping. Also the narrow edges on the track were a concern for me as well. I am very impressed. I have done my fair share of log hoping and rock hopping for that matter and the track holds up great. No complaints here I love it. As far as the bike goes I am not sure I can say. I think they all work about even when it comes down to it. I would say go with a SX Or UFO if you have $$$.

Here is a video of the SX kit. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXJ7cy-VvM

Premium Features