• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'10-'11 etec head up

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
I called Rexburg Motor Sports today just to try to get some more info... The service manager really didn't have a lot of information as of yet. They are going to contact BRP today to find out if the update can be done to sleds with fewer than 1200 miles as preventative maintenance. I'm supposed to call back at the end of this week to see what they found out. Just an FYI...

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Another crazy RKT response where is your sidekick BJ? You guys must have more money, better equipment, and more test time then all major engine manufacturers combined. This crap year after year is so old, Im sure you have more time testing / building the engines then rotax! Flame away, I've said it many times beleive the guys working from their garage?

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I think this whole thing is getting blown way out of proportion. Ive had alot of after market pistons that were suppose to be the best fail, I have several engines that were by some of the best fail. Every manufacter has engines fail every year. Ask RTK how many failures he has had over the years. I would like to know that real number.:faint:

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Paul..
Great questions...

Every rider rides different and subjects their sled to different stress levels.. I have my "group" that I ride with and only a few of us pull the big chute.. So, mountain riding is not all equal in these terms..

The dyno "hour tests" durability tests that the manufacturer's use is great testing but does not factor in ALL the parameters that are at play in a realworld situation. Take the 07 800R for instance, why was the case tolerances not caught in the durability testing? 08 testing.. why were the bad rods not caught? But back to the other players.. the durability testing has not tracks spinning, elevation changes, temp and density changes (maybe they can simulate this to an extent).. and just overall twisting and vibration of the engine and chassis.. there is simply not an easy method for simulating this sort of thing.

As for the new piston.. simple.. the #1 cooling agent at work in ANY 2 stroke engine IS the incoming fuel charge entering the lower end. The ETEC has eliminated this agent.. this WILL cause premature engine failure and accelerate component wear..

There is a reason why the 800R (2007) ran at 8500 rpms (stock) and the 2008-2010 800R at 8150 .. Now, the ETEC runs , initially, at 8000 rpms and now 7900 rpms. WHY? because lower rpms WILL always LOWER crank bearing, rod and rod bearing stress levels. This all relates to the ABSENCE of cool fuel entering the crank. So, lower rpms and this will alleviate SOME of the stresses at play in the crank.

The piston will keep getting hotter and hotter every revolution . this hot piston heats the lower end components every time it passes there.. So, the hotter piston (single ring vs. dual) contributes to the stress and heat on the crank.

Simple math and engine building formulas.. you can not EVER make more HP at a lower rpm on the same engine UNLESS the torque has been increased.. Maybe they have increased the torque at 7900rpm from the previous year engine..but I suspect they have not.

Kelsey

I believe in what you are saying, but have not seen much of a problem here. I think there are more parimeters involved. Until this year we have been blessed with either good fuel or riders mixing fuel to achieve good fuel. Lately our fuel is going the way of ethonal blends and I am watching to see what happens. I believe I will see more of the problems you have stated. I believe heat is an issue in the engine design, but detonation is also a factor. They are related, but in the past deto has loosened more locator pins than heat. Heat seems to leave a clue in aluminum deteriation, pitting etc. where deto evidence is sometime unseen.
Which came first, heat or deto? All I know is that our fuel sucks and deteriates quickly. To create a new design engine like the E-tech with consistant fuel quality is one thing. To keep something that high tech running without troubles, with factors like bad fuel, and riders not keeping fresh good fuel in the tanks, is a difficult thing.
I don't think anyone puts an old batch of fuel in the tank and puts the engine through the dyno or real world test. I have yet to see a problem with any sled that runs av gas or VP.

P

pyxle

Jan 27, 2008
Maple Valley, WA
Pistons

Does anyone know if there going to fix sleds with zero miles on them?

No. I've already tried. HAS to have 1200 miles.

RKT said:
After this update, expect your 2010.5-2011 ETEC to run at the lower rpms and at a lower power output.

It will not lower RPM. The warranty bulletin is pretty straightforward: Replace pistons with new, replace base gasket with same thickness, fill with coolant, test run.

There are no ECM software updates.

BRP has been doing durability testing for quite some time on these 800 ETECs and I think these new pistons are the answer. There have been virtually no failures below 1200 miles.

Just my two cents.

Premium Features