• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 Apex with MCX kit wont run. Need help

R
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatchewan
HI guys. Just bought my first Apex with an MCX rear mount turbo. Basically took it off the trailer and rode it about 2 blocks and parked it in the garage. It seemed to run fine when I had it out but never took it above 1/4 throttle. The only thing I have done since then was change the oil and add a 2 inch ROX riser. Didnt disconnect anything. Fired it up after changing the oil to get the level correct and it seemed to run fine when I did that. The throttle cable had to be re routed as it was too short and would rev up if you turned the handle bars all the way to one side. Today I went to start it and it would barely run. Seemed like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders. Ran rough and if I didnt keep on the throttle slightly it would die. It has lots of gas so that cant be it. When I start it up I can hear the fuel pump prime. There are no codes showing up on the screen. I checked all the conections I could find and they all seem good. I checked the fuses on the right side above the chain case. All good. I backed it out and tried to go up and down the driveway. I could get it going but didnt have any power and when I let off the throttle it would stay revved up for a few seconds adn then die off. I could keep it running but it was acting strange. What am I missing. I' ve always had 2 strokes and they were easy to diagnose but this thing has me stumped and being that its my first turbo I really have no idea where to even start. If anyone has some suggestions of what to look for I would really appreciate it. Of course the dealer here doesnt do much with turbos so Im not sure they would even be a help if its a turbo problem. Its weird that it worked perfect last weekend and now after sitting for 5 days in a heated garage it acts up. It cant be anything frozen. Stumped!!!. Forgot to mention it has a Pure Logic controller on it. Thanks for any help. Rizzo

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It sounds like the TORS (code 84) but usually shows the code. If it revving up when you turn right then you need to reroute that throttle cable back to where it was. I'm sure that is your problem. Put a bunch of slack in the cable and see if it clears up. See what happens

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
that or a tps sensor. sled runs like smag if that is screwed up.

which sled did you buy rizzo?? hope you get it running, fun sled for sure.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatchewan
Ok. So I went out and tried the cable thing again. This time I checked to make sure it was tight in the middle connection and I made sure it was free right at the throttle itself. It seemed a little tight and it was pulled out maybe a mm or 2 at the base. Re routed the cable again and made sure it didnt move the throttle assembly at all when I moved it side to side. Fired it up and ...................... RUNS LIKE NEW. Weird that it didnt throw a code. If this fixed it Im a dumb as$. Will take it out tomorrow and see if it runs good outside. Too noisy to ride it around now.... My neibours are just starting to talk to me again since I put the Viper away for the winter...LOL. Its loud. Thanks for the help guys. I will keep you posted if this fixed it but so far so good.

Last edited:
R
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatchewan
that or a tps sensor. sled runs like smag if that is screwed up.

which sled did you buy rizzo?? hope you get it running, fun sled for sure.

Bought it down south. It was one that Dakota Performance had. Only has a 1000 miles on it. Havent had it out yet other than down the ditch at 10 mph so I have no idea what it will be like but I cant wait to try.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Glad it worked. Mine is even a smidge tight every once in a while. I get the little rev up when i turn right here and there. I should get a longer cable, or not. Its the tall Mahler ape hangers LOL !! Love em !

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
another thing to remember when you fire it up dont shut it off right away.if you shut it on & off a few times it will foul the plugs then it wont run, always let it go through its warm up cycle.:beer;

Premium Features