• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

General warranty questions, could use some feedback.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Here is the deal, took my sled in as it has 1 month of warranty left on it so I decided to have a few things checked. Mostly the handwarmer on the left side was shot so I thought while in there have them look at a couple of things. Now before/during/after I brought the sled in I was extremely clear on if its covered on warranty then go ahead and if not then forget it. I knew the bolt had broken off the drive shaft inside the chain case (the one that holds that spring retainer), and of course the clutch was noisey, and last check the front end again as it seems loose on the ball joints (even though they replaced them 370km ago).

I call them 5 days later to check up and they say the handwarmer and bolt are on order and they have some new kit for the clutch that is supposed to help. I say again if this all under warranty.......then go for it. I gave the information that thistledoo gave me about shimming the clutch and they could not find any info on it and something about they can not order that shim for spider any more anyway.........shrug.

I get a call today15 days later that its ready, they tell me yamaha will only replace an item under warranty 1 time but he feels they should be able to fight it because the ball joints are wearing after only 370km.

I ask him if there is a bill and he say yes. I say how much, 300$. Now you can see where I start to scratch my head. I am told that yamaha warranty works like this, first you do the work then submit the claim and then they decide if it is covered. So basically, the shop will always get paid either from yami or the customer. Luckily I have dealt with the same individual everytime so I review what we had discussed. First off I am told he reduced the hours because I told him to not do any non warranty work.......then a big pause and he says well you are going to have to pay for the parts at least. At this point I can tell he is not happy with me. I always like to use the kill them with kindness approach but things still seem fishy to me.

I dont mind paying for parts but, the chaincase bolt I was just going to leave anyway and if I was going to do anything with the clutch it would be to try what others have had success with. I asked if the clutch rattle is gone and he said no, I asked if it was any better and he didnt know. The comment is we dont know why the 3 cylinders rattle so much. I said the apex doesnt rattle nor the vector so that didnt make sense.

Again, in fairness I dont mind paying for the parts, as theoretically I would have had to anyway. I called numerous other dealerships and asked about their warranty policy. What I was told by the others that the mechanic looks at the problem tells service what needs to be done, then service appeals for coverage if it is covered then they do the work, if not then talk to the customer.

So in the end they want me to pay for parts and I was told that really if it has a turbo on it then warranty is 100% void for any claim and that they where doing me a favor. Last time I had it in they where great did the ball joints and gave a new rear shock, this time however things seem to have gone wrong.

I told them I would come in and look at the bill and try to come up with something fair. Again, I dont mind paying for the parts but my guess is that they will not push to get the ball joints covered.

Here is my beef with warranty I dont know why there is always a fuss/fight about it. If it is covered then do it, they get paid to do it. If they are not happy with the rates, coverage system, approval that appears to be more of an internal problem not something that should be thrown at the customer. It always seems that shops hate to do warranty (like they are doing you a huge favor).

Its a long read and sounds like a rant but really I am just curious as to your thoughts. The dealership otherwise has been good to me at least.

Insert opinions :beer;

I will pick the sled up tonight I will let you know what happened.

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
do you think for a second that your dealer hasn't already billed back Yamaha and is trying to get you to pay for it as well. happens all the time, double dipping for sure. but any "agreement" you and your dealer come up with is still gravy for them.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
do you think for a second that your dealer hasn't already billed back Yamaha and is trying to get you to pay for it as well. happens all the time, double dipping for sure. but any "agreement" you and your dealer come up with is still gravy for them.

Ouch, maybe I am too trusting giving them some credit. You would think if they where regularly doing that they would get themselves in trouble.

Looking forward to more input.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane

You must have had a very crappy dealer experience. Double dipping is unethical and I doubt more than 1 in 1000 dealers would do it.

Most people don't understand how warranty claims are handled by the manufacturer. DEALERS LOSE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON WARRANTY WORK!!!!! That's the reality. Anyone that has worked at a dealership at length can tell you that.

This dealer is not doing anything out of the ordinary. You pay them, then when they get reimbursed by the manufacturer they refund your $. If they did not do this then they would be left holding the bag should the manufacturer inspect the parts and find that they have been altered or a crash causing the failure. Most dealers will fight to get you everything they can.

Last edited:
M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Here are some points for you...Is this under normal warranty or YES extended warranty?

First, I have EVER heard of a policy that they will only replace it once...that is something new...and I would ask the Dealer to provide you a copy of that policy...If they cannot provide a copy of the policy, chalk it up to HOGWASH, and start looking for other red flags to fly...

Second, I could not disagree more with WFO, that it is NOT the owners job to foot the bill for the dealers ability or lack thereof to appropriately represent your warranty issue...

My understanding of the warranty process from a dealers perspective, the identify the cause, try and decipher the cause of failure. Then they contact Yamaha, to address this item, and get verbal or written clarification of whether the repair will be covered under warranty or not...If it is under YES warranty, they will pay for overnight shipping to the dealer of the part if necessary...Additionally, if you are stranded, due to the failure, they will even pay for your hotel bill...

So, the dealer is not going to be out any money at all if the part is covered under warranty...Additionally, the dealer (assuming they have a good reputation) can even negotiate the hours for the repair, but most dont...In general they can find a way to take care of it...but some done bother to push back, and just get what they get...remember even the dealer side is a negotiation...and the outcome and result is on the dealer...Yamaha views it, as the dealers job to get the customer satisfied, and will not just roll over on issues...

Third, on the Turbo issue...Here is an exact quote from the YES warranty (which I am confident is not that different than the normal...Which Yamaha is VERY aware, that if it were NOT for the turbo market, they would NOT be selling sleds in the west...oh yeah, and the Yamafest thing...hmmm doesnt Yamaha sponsor that? Yeah, those are all stock sleds huh!!!

Any decent dealer will do the same thing as in first and second point...if the aftermarket non stock part caused the failure, no warranty claim will be made...if it had nothing to do with it, then they will, and can...Can they and do they reserve the right to void the warranty for any and every reason, absolutely...but do they in practice? No, they would be crazy to...

Here are the quotes from teh YES policy...

SPECIFIC EXCLUSIONS THIS Y.E.S. CONTRACT
DOES NOT COVER:

13. Damage due to alteration, modification or use of the covered
vehicle not recommended by YAMAHA.
14. Damage due to failure of “non-stock” or modified parts.

In summary, they tell you something is "policy" ask for a copy of the policy...They tell you, they have not gotten paid but have submitted it, all your doing is taking them off the hook for having to work with Yamaha to get it warrantied (best case) or you are paying them for something they have already been paid for (worst case)...either way, it should be a red flag to you, and you shoudl ask to speak with the Yamaha Customer Service department, and for a copy of your warranty claim number...

generally speaking, when you ask for the claim, they will back off (which shoudl be a red flag)...and they should be able to supply you with a reason for refusal of warranty...Generally speaking, a lot of dealers, just wont fight for their customers...

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
You must have had a very crappy dealer experience. Double dipping is unethical and I doubt more than 1 in 1000 dealers would do it.

Most people don't understand how warranty claims are handled by the manufacturer. DEALERS LOSE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON WARRANTY WORK!!!!! That's the reality. Anyone that has worked at a dealership at length can tell you that.

This dealer is not doing anything out of the ordinary. You pay them, then when they get reimbursed by the manufacturer they refund your $. If they did not do this then they would be left holding the bag should the manufacturer inspect the parts and find that they have been altered or a crash causing the failure. Most dealers will fight to get you everything they can.

I can understand where you are coming from but I dont nessarily agree. Dealers may very well loose money on warranty work but that is problem on their end not the customer. When you buy a new item you pay for the coverage so its up to them to honour it.

I have never had nor heard of any company having you pay upfront for work then wait on reinbursement for warranty claims. Others here will agree that the dealers should know what is and is not covered. If is questionable then the customer needs to be put in the loop before work is done not when they show to pick up there RV and handed a bill.

So do feel the customer should be left holding the bag? Again to clarify I was extremely clear and repetitive on not doing any work that would not be covered. I would understand if someone asked to have some work done and said try to claim it and if it fails then complete the job regardless. Two compeletely different scenarios.

Thanks for the input.

PS I am glad that I knew this before I went to pick up the sled otherwise I would have been fuming and I hate those confrontations. I also hope the manager has had time to go over things.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
If they performed work you did not explicitly authorize, then you should NOT be held responsible for the work...specifically for the reason you requested, and repeated it...

I would ask for Yamaha Customer Service number, and for copies of the Claims submitted....

My best guess would be they never submitted it, and just expect you to pay as it is easier, or Suzie had to go to lunch, and the fill-in person forgot...

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Anytime I have had a warranty issue (Cat and Yammi) I did not have to pay a cent for anything. I'm not sure how the whole warranty process works but I know I did not pay a cent for any work or parts that were needed.

I was quite specific in which dealer I chose for the reason of good service. Maybe I was lucky in the dealers I picked but I never ever had to pay for any work that was done then get reimbursed for it later.

Warranty was warranty but if I broke something cause of my own stupidity then I paid for the work and parts.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
When you buy a new item you pay for the coverage so its up to them to honour it.

Only if the manufacturer agrees to pay for the repair. The dealer is not responsible for covering repairs not deemed warrantable by the manufacturer.

If they were nobody would be foolish enough to sign up as a dealer.

However, in your situation they should not have done anything that was not authorized by the factory as warranty work since you specified it that way.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Only if the manufacturer agrees to pay for the repair. The dealer is not responsible for covering repairs not deemed warrantable by the manufacturer.

If they were nobody would be foolish enough to sign up as a dealer.

However, in your situation they should not have done anything that was not authorized by the factory as warranty work since you specified it that way.

exactly...

However, No dealer would do work that they did not KNOW what the outcome of their payment would be, and from whom it was going to come from...If they did, they are either charitable, naive, or unwise

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Long story short, when I showed up there was no bill. The service manager remembered what we had talked about and zeroed out the account.

I was willing to pay for the parts but he would not take the money.

Thanks for everyones input.

PS
He did some hunting around for the 2 thousand shim that they used to put in the vectors that was part of service bulliten. Apparently they no longer do that procedure and the shim is not to be found. They put in some new sliders and an replace the o ring in the primary (I really dont know alot about yammi primarys, the others I can rebuild in my sleep just havent had to on a yammi yet). I did not get a chance to run it to see if it was any better. So yamaha knows the clutch rattles and do not have a fix for it they just blame it on the 3 bangers shrug....

Also they ended up putting in new lower ball joints. He said the first time they changed them because there was an update and typically they dont change them again as it is consider a typical wear item. We both felt that was BS after 370km. If they go again I will put something different in.

Last edited:
D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I wish Yamaha would build us a sled with no tunnel, seat, tank, skid, track, etc and no warranty. Just a bulkhead, motor, plastic, electrical, chaincase. Boosters Package :p And a reduced price.:D

Y

youd47

Nov 27, 2007
Stanford, MT
I wish Yamaha would build us a sled with no tunnel, seat, tank, skid, track, etc and no warranty. Just a bulkhead, motor, plastic, electrical, chaincase. Boosters Package :p And a reduced price.:D

Now that would be a fun way to start. I don't know what everyone would do with all the extra room in their shop if it wasn't filled up with expensive stock parts.

Premium Features