• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track hard to spin by hand.

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
So, i ported my track today, but when i lifted the track up in the air, i couldnt spin it by hand, at all. it was pretty tight, so i loosened it so there is a little play when you push the top of it upwords. its still decently hard to move, takes a firm hand to spin it. Any thoughts? It was ratcheting last year, so i left it at the tightness it stop ratcheting at from last year, but it seemed really tight... mabey it just needs a few good spins or a ride to loosen it up?

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
ratching is not always track. Your chain my be loose or breaking?

check your chain because if that breaks it is not a good thing. you will be the changing chain case.

also check if your drives are centered and drive shaft.

some times a bearing is bad.

Thats all i got

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Take your drive belt off and try it again. ;) If you are not running anti-ratchets your track should be as loose as possible without ratcheting.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
How tight was it before you ported it?

How much sag does the track have? or when the sled it jacked up in the back how much is the track sagging below the rails in the center most part, but to check this you only need the track off the ground enough that it doesn`t sag to the ground, to high in the back will kinda give you a false reading.

with it lifted like this, measure between the hyfax and the track where the hyfax rides at the lowest sagging point usually right about the middle of the skid, take the belt off and rotate the secondary around and remeasure a few times to get a more acurate measurement, then let us know what it measurees out, and go from there.

After I ported my track there was a considerable difference in how easy it could rotate by hand.

If you already know the procedure in measureing sag then sorry.

Darren

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Off the top of my head, i'd say there is 1" or less sag when lifted, mabey even 1/2". I checked it again today, when lifted i can turn it with one hand without much effort, not butter though. Last year, my front skid bolts that bolt into the tunnel raddled loose and tore a hole in both sides of my tunnel (right where yer feet go), i fixed them with 1/4" steel plates and bolted em back up nice'n tight. since then, my track would ratchet a bit (happened before the incedent aswell) and i just keeped tightening the track until it stopped, which is where it was before i loosened it. How hard is it sappose to be to turn it? 1 finger pull? 2 finger, hand, etc. And i think im showing around 20 threads on my adjuster bolt (between the head the other end). Thanks!

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Sounds a bit tight , my sled I have extrovert drivers and run about 1 3/4 inchs sag, the same when it didn`t have antiratchet drivers I am also running that on my 136 arctic cat 580.

My sled also damaged the from arm bolt holes you are talking about, at least on my friend before I bought it, also was fixed with some aluminum, the front arm on the suspension is also known for breaking where the top of the shock mounts, this maybe not you problem but somethin to always check on the sc10 suspension, it will usualy break at the weld. anyway, you might try measureing to see if everything is true, like measure from the driveshaft to the front arm bolt on both sides to see if the are square and if the front of the rails aren`t bent pushing the track to one side that could cause ratcheting too. also see if the drivers are in good condition too.

I can rotate my track with about the 2 fingers you described fairly easy. which is a 153 ported. antiratchet driver are noisy but they work.

Darren

Premium Features