• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020...Good, bad, or ugly?

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Well they hosed me out of buying a 20, I was hoping for a 20 mseries that made me want something other than a deep snow crossover, worst thing is i dont even want a riot after the initial excitement wore off. I mean seriously? Its a ****ter high country, worst thing is all they had to do is put a m front end on it, and a 2.25 track and got my business again. I sure as heck wont be buying another polaris sled, but i hate to get stuck with a doo.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Hope you like snow in your lap and slipping on 1990s era design running boards.

I know I've been keeping my fingers crossed for both of those! Thanks Tectron!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I wonder why they changed out all the front track shocks to a spring? I really like the adjustability of the the air shock in that spot. Can dramatically effect the handling of the Alpha. No windshield is good. The current windshield just holds snow behind it and dumps water from melting into the goggle bag. Mine is getting taken off tonight lol.
Interesting about the snow check only. Snow check is a scam I fall for over and over. I might get a new 2020 but it won’t be until January so I can get it for $2000 less lol.
Colors are WAY better. My purple/black Alpha looks SOOOOO dated now lol.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
No king cat? No 9000? No 7000?
Did they break ties with Yamaha?

Well I guess the thunder cat is still there but that can't count for alot of sales
I would think it would make sense to leave the 4 strokes to Yamaha... never have really understood them selling near identical sleds.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Well they hosed me out of buying a 20, I was hoping for a 20 mseries that made me want something other than a deep snow crossover, worst thing is i dont even want a riot after the initial excitement wore off. I mean seriously? Its a ****ter high country, worst thing is all they had to do is put a m front end on it, and a 2.25 track and got my business again. I sure as heck wont be buying another polaris sled, but i hate to get stuck with a doo.

Look at the Riot X, it’s got just what you said it was missing

The RIOT X is more off-trail oriented, allowing you to cross over into the steeper and deeper conditions. It is fitted with the Arctic Mountain Front Suspension, a Vertical Steering Post and a Challenger 2.0” (or PEAK 2.25”, we’re also seeing two specs on this one) lug height track with angular lugs. Your only engine choice is the C-TEC2 8000 engine. Once again we have Green and Charcoal shock packages. The Mountain Front Suspension comes with adjustable FOX 2.0 ZERO QS3 coil-over ski shocks (Green) or Arctic Cat IFP 1.5 non-adjustable ski shocks (Charcoal). Both colors come with adjustable FOX 2.0 ZERO QS3 coil-over rear shocks in the CROSS-ACTION Rear Suspension. The RIOT X has adjustable 39.5-41.5” ski stance

Last edited:
Z
Apr 26, 2017
I can't believe Cat is giving no options for a dual rail Mountain Cat, and you can only get a sled if you snow check one. So what the hell are the dealers supposed to do, sell 12 sleds through snow check and be screwed on in season models to sell? So what is Cat then gonna jam a bunch of non mountain sleds down western dealers throats that they won't be able to sell? I can see dealers snow checking sleds out of their own pockets under their name and selling them above market value to keep customers. If they can even mark up over retail legally...

Have you run an elevate kit on a mountain cat? Curious how that stacks up to the alpha. I'm one of the few people that probably think this way, but I am thinking about ditching my alpha to pick up a twin rail mountain cat. I plan on putting a elevate kit on it. The alpha is a absolute hoot, but I still feel it's a bit unpredictable in tight terrain. This is probably 90% due to me riding it wrong and it reacting so fast.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I wonder why they changed out all the front track shocks to a spring? I really like the adjustability of the the air shock in that spot. Can dramatically effect the handling of the Alpha. No windshield is good. The current windshield just holds snow behind it and dumps water from melting into the goggle bag. Mine is getting taken off tonight lol.
Interesting about the snow check only. Snow check is a scam I fall for over and over. I might get a new 2020 but it won’t be until January so I can get it for $2000 less lol.
Colors are WAY better. My purple/black Alpha looks SOOOOO dated now lol.

I noticed the change on the FTS too. I'm guessing too many dealers didn't check if there was enough pressure in the shock before sending them out the door, and/or people were trying to run them too soft = bottom out too hard arm to rail tip = broken rail. Take away the adjustability and you eliminate some warranty claims and lower production costs. Just can't let people have nice things.

I'm curious to see what this "special pricing" is. If they truly stick to snow check only there should be no new sled rebates in January because there will be no spare current model sleds. Maybe on remaining 2017-2018 holdovers. If dealers order extras under false customer names then have too many sitting around they can't get rid of Textron isn't going to want to bail them out. If they put some of the usual mid-season rebate on them from the start and drop the MSRP to $12-13k instead of $14-15k for the snow checks would be awesome.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Anyone notice the poor photoshop job on the RTS on the charcoal/green base model?

As for which one I'd get (if I was) I kind of like the silver on the Alpha Mountain Cat since it's different, but would likely go the base model route and put some high end shocks of my choice on it since that's about all it's missing comparatively. Curious if the new top end on the motor makes any difference.

Disappointed they didn't put the iACT handlebar adjustable shock package on it, but they can't make the other easy updates either: bars, boards, tail light, snowflap, intake, etc.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
So in summery

one mountain sled

two shock options

two track options

5 color choices

Snow check only.................

did I miss anything?

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2001
laramie wy
I never did hear the total of 19 alphas sold was but it makes me wonder if so many People got one this year that they doubted the numbers that would upgrade to a new year sled that was basically the same? Too much of a good thing this year since they didnt stick to snowcheck only...

B
Feb 21, 2016
MN
Have you run an elevate kit on a mountain cat? Curious how that stacks up to the alpha. I'm one of the few people that probably think this way, but I am thinking about ditching my alpha to pick up a twin rail mountain cat. I plan on putting a elevate kit on it. The alpha is a absolute hoot, but I still feel it's a bit unpredictable in tight terrain. This is probably 90% due to me riding it wrong and it reacting so fast.

Ice age has the elevate kit for the alphas as well and I heard the kit really really works well on the alphas

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Look at the Riot X, it’s got just what you said it was missing

The RIOT X is more off-trail oriented, allowing you to cross over into the steeper and deeper conditions. It is fitted with the Arctic Mountain Front Suspension, a Vertical Steering Post and a Challenger 2.0” (or PEAK 2.25”, we’re also seeing two specs on this one) lug height track with angular lugs. Your only engine choice is the C-TEC2 8000 engine. Once again we have Green and Charcoal shock packages. The Mountain Front Suspension comes with adjustable FOX 2.0 ZERO QS3 coil-over ski shocks (Green) or Arctic Cat IFP 1.5 non-adjustable ski shocks (Charcoal). Both colors come with adjustable FOX 2.0 ZERO QS3 coil-over rear shocks in the CROSS-ACTION Rear Suspension. The RIOT X has adjustable 39.5-41.5” ski stance
Interesting on the peak 2.25, didnt see that posted anywhere officially. Only thing i can say about that is from my experience is the peak is a trenching beast that doesn't climb up on the snow worth a crap. The other thing is yes, it has the ams front spindles, but they are still too wide for a deep snow crossover. My sks handles great with the poo narrow front end, and is very controllable both on and off trail even on the narrowest setting. Vs my fathers 18 hc which is a lot more work to lay over in the deep snow. They are splitting hairs between a 41.5 sled and a 42-43. Should have went with even a 38 front end or pulled the parts from the mseries and gone with the 35.5-37.5 front end.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO

I posted my review of the elevate kit on the 3rd page of that thread. This why im bummed cat dropped the dual rail. But with the alpha you could still do a dual rail elevate on it, youd need a driver swap and the misc stock rear suspension and rail parts for it to work. Still more pricey that way though. Was really hoping theyd have the new track punched out for a dual rail. Ya the ice age kit will be fun on the alpha too but I cant see it make it any less unpredictable in certain low snow and terrain. Height gain and track flex will make it flick real easy and go through snow great, but will prob dive even more. I always have had 2 sleds since I blow a motor every year whether it be cat or poo. Just dont want 2 mono rails. The elevate kit is that good. Its like an axys, only way better.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks For the review Jordon! Guess I’ll have to get an Elevate ordered up

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
'tis a simple strategy, make only what customers will buy this year, in anticipation of a completely new sled for 2021, designed by Textron...how smart these people are remains to be seen...i went to the design sessions put on by textron 2 years ago, they said they planned on a new 2021 sled, and this seems to fall into that scenario....i was less than impressed with what their ideas were at that time, and made mention to them to not throw out all the good stuff that made the cats what they were....they impressed me as engineers wanting to redesign a fantastic new machine, but didn't know the basics of what is desired and important in a mountain sled...hopefully in the intervening months since then, they have been open enough to learn the essential things that make a mountain sled different than a trail sled, if not, it will be back to trying to get a one size fits all for ease and manufacturing efficiency....in which case my alpha will have to be good for a long time....they seemed to be set on the one chassis for all sled types at that time, due to cost, but as i pointed out, sales drive profits, not costs, i.e., if you don't make what they customer will buy, the cost efficiency is pointless, as demonstrated by the lack of sales in the 12-16 model years....but what do i know compared to a 30 year old engineer with a clean sheet of paper, but no experience riding the deep....:face-icon-small-dis...it'll be interesting for sure...

S

spiceyunicorn

Jun 20, 2010
NW, Iowa
Lol I haven't been on snowest all winter long and I see nothing has changed everyone still crying about the little things has everyone forgotten last year when the alpha was only available if you snow checked one then early fall they started popping at dealers that had buyers "backing out" then early winter almost every dealer had at least two to get rid of.... Now everyone is mad they didn't put out a bigger cc motor 80 percent of riders (including me) aren't capable of riding these sleds to the fullest potential like an extra 80 CC's is going to make you the next Rob Kincaid

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO the alpha is the best mountain sled on the market. I don't own one, I am not a cat guy, that sled just works. That being said I think all the design was in place, textron in just provided the money to come to market. I will be massively surprised if they redesign again. Inside 5 years Cat is gone.

S

spiceyunicorn

Jun 20, 2010
NW, Iowa
IMO the alpha is the best mountain sled on the market. I don't own one, I am not a cat guy, that sled just works. That being said I think all the design was in place, textron in just provided the money to come to market. I will be massively surprised if they redesign again. Inside 5 years Cat is gone.

You're not the first person I've heard say cats on the way out but if it's true why would Textron buy them up if they were dying and on their way out? Yeah Arctic cat was a competitor in the atv/side by side but if Arctic cat was truly in that much trouble why spend the money to buy them out rather and just let them die?

Premium Features