• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to get more backshift

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
What is the best way to get more backshift in the axys rmk? helix?

I'm a bit of a noob regarding clutching, I know how it works but I've never really played with different setup since I started riding 4years ago.

I ride 0-3000ft and we cannot keep a huge amount of fresh snow on top so we cannot really count on the loose snow to slow us down. i know you mountains guys barely speed up in the deep snow and with lower hp output but it's really different here it really snaps and get things moving fast. We have many feet of snow but most of the time we can only go thru it under hard acceleration or going uphill.

Is it even possible to really feel the backshift into more setuped snow?

what I have done already:
pro ride QD gears
zrp lightweight primary cover
needle bearings in the secondary(didn't feel much difference)
d0e94eb5d455a0b1e05dbeb8c6e49868.jpg

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Well I have to say one thing the team tied clutch did was backshift like a mofo, I do not use one, however we have tested them, try and find a used one for cheap on swapmeet or ebay,:juggle::juggle: sold mine for 200 bucks all setup and ready to go, mint condition. I would not buy a new one as it would be a trial for you:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
What is the best way to get more backshift in the axys rmk? helix?

I'm a bit of a noob regarding clutching, I know how it works but I've never really played with different setup since I started riding 4years ago.

I ride 0-3000ft and we cannot keep a huge amount of fresh snow on top so we cannot really count on the loose snow to slow us down. i know you mountains guys barely speed up in the deep snow and with lower hp output but it's really different here it really snaps and get things moving fast. We have many feet of snow but most of the time we can only go thru it under hard acceleration or going uphill.

Is it even possible to really feel the backshift into more setuped snow?

what I have done already:
pro ride QD gears
zrp lightweight primary cover
needle bearings in the secondary(didn't feel much difference)
d0e94eb5d455a0b1e05dbeb8c6e49868.jpg

I think you are misinterpreting backshift. Backshift is what is needed to keep you at a constant rpm when your track loads. For example your headed down a packed trail at 8300 rpm and you zip off the trail into 3’ of powder. Proper clutching should backshift and still give you that 8300rpm at a slower ground speed.
If your looking for engine braking that is another issue and has its own set of belt issues.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
well youre right I was confusing both.

but isn't engine braking on a 2 stroke almost inexistant? and since the engine is tied to the cvt system wouldn't the clutches plays a huge factor on a how a sled would brake under deceleration and/or no throttle?

just like in a car, tranny and final drive will influence most of how much a car will coast.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
well youre right I was confusing both.

but isn't engine braking on a 2 stroke almost inexistant? and since the engine is tied to the cvt system wouldn't the clutches plays a huge factor on a how a sled would brake under deceleration and/or no throttle?

just like in a car, tranny and final drive will influence most of how much a car will coast.

The only way you can get true downhill braking with a CVT is engage the reverse notch.

Last edited:
Premium Features