• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Non-Essential Under Hood Stuff

never_summer_ind

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Parkman, Wy
Anyone start gutting their engine compartment yet? I took a bunch of the foam out and and that got me to questioning some of the other stuff I found. What about the engine shroud? Can that come off? Or the plastic and felt board between the engine compartment and the clutch area? I thought about removing it but I can't get a front filter kit and I was noodling that I might want that to keep the fine powder away from the clutches. But other than that it looks non-essential. (Mind you I said 'looks.') I've heat taped the exhaust panel, below the pipe, and that little plastic guard by the coolant bottle. (I was going to get my pipe ceramic coated.) Any ideas or suggestions will be considered, pondered, and smack talked.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

never_summer_ind

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Parkman, Wy
Good info. I'm sure most of that is for noise compliance. Like Norona has said in some previous vids. I think I'll take the rest of the stuff I haven't stripped yet off. Keep it around just in case and see how it works.

never_summer_ind

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Parkman, Wy
I have 2 rides on my 850 now, both in fairly deep snow.

I removed the clutch cover felt, the hood felt, the engine cover, some foam (not all), and the small exhaust heat shield on the pipe above the can. No problems so far. Knock on wood.
How does that engine cover come off? I see the four rubber grommets. Do those pull if or just screw off?

The engine cover is 2 pieces, held together by 2 screws. You have to remove the 2 screws to get it out of the engine bay. Otherwise, the fasteners that hold it on the head just pop-off.

I kept all the stuff I removed, just in case.

Last edited:

never_summer_ind

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Parkman, Wy
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3993364

This is what I removed. Left the foam with the reflective tape on and also haven't removed the engine shield.
I thought I searched the threads for this but I'm an idiot. Very nice. You had a little more patience than me. Mine all came out in one piece but then was promptly wadded up and thrown away. Funny on the clutch cover felt, I was going to leave it and I don't even have a reason why, but now I might strip that as well.

Premium Features