• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice scratchers

I thought I added to an old post on ice scratcher's but fail to see it here on the Polaris pages. ......

Anyway, I bought a couple of pairs of the Holtz ice scratchers for my 2 2002 RMK 700's, to keep the temp down,...and have a couple of questions.

Where the hell do they fit/go on?? Does the frt idler wheel have to be removed? It seems that there going to have to be installed too far back from where I think they SHOULD go. I would think that you'd want to have them as far forward as possible wouldn't you???
If the frt. idler wheel does have to come off for the install.... {and this may sound stupid} can the wheel go back on with the scratcher's in place??

I have also been thinking of doing something I saw on the web,.... where a guy drilled some holes in the rear of his ski's and attached a bolt and lock nut to throw some snow to the hyfax and help cool the heat exchange.
Any thoughts on that??

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I answered your question in your other post with the same question (picture included)

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247671

Scratchers on your ski's will also help. If you do the bolt through the ski, make sure you pay attention to the bolt length as it will catch on your trailer when loading, or you will look like a squirrel with a .22 in his a$$ flying over the front of your sled.

Thanks "morsno" that is very helpful. ....And that is a great photo to show the placement of the scratcher's !!........should I have the sled lifted to remove the idler wheel? I hope not I'd like to leave the sleds on the trailer while I do the job.
I don't have a sled ummm???...... "jack",... to get the sled raised. Maybe I can get my hydraulic floor /car jack under it if the sled NEEDS to be raised up.

I wish I had a manual for the sled,..... I'm going to guess there is just the one bolt running through the wheel that needs to be removed, then drill the holes and install, then replace the wheel. I'm thinking there should be a specific torque for the bolt.

And as far as the bolt in the ski idea,.....the idea was to have a hole drilled through the bolt, and have washers and pin to hold them there. And your comment about the squirrel and going over the handle bars was funny, but no,.... they mention taking them off at the end of the day.
Here's a a link to the "youtube" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0lj3wNHDw

Looks like it would work pretty good. But first things first,...I'll install the Holtz scratchers.
Thanks again for your help and your humor .."morsno" !!
"rickyboy"

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
No you don't need to jack the sled up. The bolt through the ski is a bad idea because ice is like rock and can split the back of your ski at the bolt hole. It also doesn't throw the snow far enough to hit the slide rails. You only need scratchers when you are on ice. You keep them up the rest of the time, so you better mount them where they can be hooked over the top of the slide rail. Other ways to keep the engine cool is to stop and kick snow into the track, and pack snow onto your footrests. If it is overheating any other time, then you have bigger problems that should be attended to.

No you don't need to jack the sled up. The bolt through the ski is a bad idea because ice is like rock and can split the back of your ski at the bolt hole. It also doesn't throw the snow far enough to hit the slide rails. You only need scratchers when you are on ice. You keep them up the rest of the time, so you better mount them where they can be hooked over the top of the slide rail. Other ways to keep the engine cool is to stop and kick snow into the track, and pack snow onto your footrests. If it is overheating any other time, then you have bigger problems that should be attended to.

Thanks, ....The issue is with my wife running slower and not going where you and I may go, and the fact that she likes to get into the bush and the "inner" trails. Those trails tend to be more,....packed. And along with the slower pace, over heating was an issue the one time she was out last yr..
We are new to sledding but a bare lake/ice is not something we see a lot or tend to travel on. The "bolt thing" might get tried but only where there is less snow. I'd remove them on ice, thanks for the heads up though, really.

"rickyboy" :face-icon-small-hap

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
No need to jack it up, do it right on your trailer. You can also tip it on it's side for easier access. Just put a milk crate, bucket, etc under the end of the handle bar and that will keep it from tipping all the way over.

No need to jack it up, do it right on your trailer. You can also tip it on it's side for easier access. Just put a milk crate, bucket, etc under the end of the handle bar and that will keep it from tipping all the way over.

I'm going to try and get to it tomorrow some time. It's suppose to warm up a bit. I'm going to try it on the trailer but might just as well pull the trailer and sleds out and run them into the garage/shop to do it.
Thanks again and I'll let you all know who've helped me out, how it went once I "get'er done"....:devil:

Thanks "morsno" that is very helpful. ....And that is a great photo to show the placement of the scratcher's !!........should I have the sled lifted to remove the idler wheel? I hope not I'd like to leave the sleds on the trailer while I do the job.
I don't have a sled ummm???...... "jack",... to get the sled raised. Maybe I can get my hydraulic floor /car jack under it if the sled NEEDS to be raised up.

I wish I had a manual for the sled,..... I'm going to guess there is just the one bolt running through the wheel that needs to be removed, then drill the holes and install, then replace the wheel. I'm thinking there should be a specific torque for the bolt.

And as far as the bolt in the ski idea,.....the idea was to have a hole drilled through the bolt, and have washers and pin to hold them there. And your comment about the squirrel and going over the handle bars was funny, but no,.... they mention taking them off at the end of the day.
Here's a a link to the "youtube" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0lj3wNHDw

Looks like it would work pretty good. But first things first,...I'll install the Holtz scratchers.
Thanks again for your help and your humor .."morsno" !!
"rickyboy"

Well I had to remove the scratcher's off both my Vert. Edge 700's. I didn't want to lose the boggy wheel so I mounted them just behind them. { I did have to remove the boggy to install them} but they were interfering with the suspension spring arms, where I mounted them. I'll have to re and re with the cable/carbide type.

S
Feb 6, 2010
central MN
Well I had to remove the scratcher's off both my Vert. Edge 700's. I didn't want to lose the boggy wheel so I mounted them just behind them. { I did have to remove the boggy to install them} but they were interfering with the suspension spring arms, where I mounted them. I'll have to re and re with the cable/carbide type.

just do the bolt in the ski trick it works better than rear scratchers, hasnt damaged my powder pro skis when I've had them in

S

skywagon

Oct 29, 2010
Just drill a hole where you want to mount them and be done with it.
Ron

Just drill a hole where you want to mount them and be done with it.
Ron

Hi Ron
That's pretty much what I did. But being new to snowmobiling and how they work....I did exactly what you suggested. But when the spring arms went down and were extended, they hit the spring of the scratchers. Totally screwed the suspension or the way they worked. .....I thought the rear track shock was toast. My bad.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Hi Ron
That's pretty much what I did. But being new to snowmobiling and how they work....I did exactly what you suggested. But when the spring arms went down and were extended, they hit the spring of the scratchers. Totally screwed the suspension or the way they worked. .....I thought the rear track shock was toast. My bad.

Sounds similar to how I had my cable scratchers mounted. Put enough pressure on the cable end to spin them loose and lost one on the trail. Not only that but bent both torsion springs so I had to buy new ones. Expensive error on my part.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Those scratchers do not look like they are stowable. You have to stow them when you use reverse, or if you are going to drag your sled backward.

Holtz scratchers have always been the ticket. They are stowable and can take a licking and keep on ticking.

http://www.holzracingproducts.com/store/snowmobile/polaris-iq-rmk-05-10/ice-scratchers

These are the same Holtz ones you posted "whoisthatguy" and they are "stowable" but they screwed with the "torsion springs"....Thank God, not enough to bend them. So mine are still good.
Instead of spending more $$$ on these I'd still would like to know more about those bolts posted by rdr99 http://www.rsiracing.com/IDLER-WHEEL...TORS_p_53.html
Not sure if they are a 2 or 3 piece bolt plus the washers etc.. How do they fit/go on?? Do they have a main bolt, and then a Lrg. secondary washer between the boggy wheel and the spring???

Last edited:
Premium Features