• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Etec hesitation

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
How many are experiencing a hesitation even after break in. I know there are guys out there complaining about this. I already have had the sled in a few time for this hesitation because something didn't seem right, and now it's broke there are no more excuses.
Mine is still doing it and I tried a can on mine today and it seemed to make the problem worse or at least sound worse, Went back to stock can. Going to the dealer to check for codes as well because with the can on the sled, it acted up real bad for a short period of time, like the sled went into limp mode had no power, but I remember that the sled did this on the trail once at about 100 miles on the odo than backfired, just shrugged it off as a break in thing. It smartened up and ran like it's old self again.
Other than the hesitation the sled takes off like a raped ape with and without the can.
I cannout really isolate the problem to the conditions the sled is in, other than it does it from a standing start or traveling 10 to 15 MPH and when it does it it leaves a black mark in the snow.
Has anybody tried changing the plugs to see if it helps? Did a aftermarket exhaust help?
BRP better figure something out soon because if the sled looses power like this again in the mountains when I need the power and I damage my sled or hurt myself because of it!!!
We'll enough said!!

H
Nov 26, 2007
Merritt, BC
i've had no hesitation prior to installing a MBRP can on last week. Drag racing near the loading area (4000ft) there was a very noticeable hesitation. Hear this is somewhat common at that elevation and lower with a aftermarket can. Above no issues.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
i have a 2011 600 etec tha does the exact thing and it is out of break in mode. It hesitates and is leaving black streaks in the snow, and will back fire from time to time.

Its been to the dealership and they couldnt find anything wrong.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Mine does this too (broken in)....but yesterday it only did it 1 time, even when I tried to get it to act up. I am at about 4800ft most of the time, a few rides ago it would do it consistantly, now rarely. :face-icon-small-con
Might be tied to temperature/fuel/or rate of RPM increase perhaps??? No doubt there is a flaw.
I have been trying alot of clutch setups and it seems worse with some....that's where I'm thinking the rate of RPM? Just a thought.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I added almost a gram of pin weight yesterday taching 8000/8100 on clicker 4at 3200 ft here at home, and at 90mph rpm fell to 7700/7800rpm. Now that I fixed my intake problem I tested it again today hesitation was still there, but gained rpm 8100 to 8200, and 7900 to 8000 at 90mph on stock clutching, ambiant temp was the same today as yesterday.
It only does it while i'm doing a holeshot or driving 10 MPH and pin it. will no do it at higher RPM.

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
It seems like the sled hesitates when there is no load on the motor like for example You get to much track spin (like jumping are going wide open down hill) and the ecu is protecting the motor from damage, Are the rave valves are not opening fast enough. Its something weird like that. I know on mine not enough pin weight are too high of clicker setting makes it worse. it souldnt be the rev limiter because it does it around 6000 rpms.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sled

Not sure if this is the same thing but mine will hit 8000 right away on a flat hard packed trail and then back of slowly to like 7400rpm but doesn't seem to lose any ground speed?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Anyone figure this out yet?

If we're all experiencing the same hesitation, it's most likely just the engine protection feature that kicks in if RPM is gaining too quickly.
It goes away by loading the clutching harder at low-mid shift.
The feature is there to protect the enginein the event a belt blows or anything else that causes a sudden RPM increase....it does seem overly sensitive.

R
Jan 9, 2011
If we're all experiencing the same hesitation, it's most likely just the engine protection feature that kicks in if RPM is gaining too quickly.
It goes away by loading the clutching harder at low-mid shift.
The feature is there to protect the enginein the event a belt blows or anything else that causes a sudden RPM increase....it does seem overly sensitive.
There is a new E Tec hesitation trouble shooting chart that just came out with the annual technical updates. Your dealer now has more info on this.
Tell them to look at 2012 Technical update and troubleshooting tips.
Cheers.

Premium Features