• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

120 mph xtx

R
Sep 10, 2010
Does anyone know about mods that get you into this area short of a turbo.

clutching + intake mod + exhaust + ??????? = ????? mph

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
You might look at adding a shot of NOS if you dont want to run boost...cheaper and would give you a pretty good boost in HP for short runs.

danredig

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Detroit Lakes, MN
change your gearing and clutching around and have a long straightaway!! should be a gearing chart somewhere that will put you in that range, just gonna take a long run for that motor to pull it.

R
Sep 10, 2010
120mph

Thanks I will look for a chart. I USE to own skidoo's and had the mods down for running around 115 mph depending on condition, but llike everone else got tired of rebuilding the motors 2 in total(rings). 2002 x package bulletproof, 04 couldn't kill it, 05 boom, 06 boom.

anybody know if the claims from barker exhaust gaining 12hp are legit ???

danredig

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Detroit Lakes, MN
When i had my nytro which was an 08 i added the hauck exhaust package which included the bigger header pipe and husher pipe, i also went with the "ram air intake" which is nothing but your stock air box lid with 2 of the round 1 1/2" slp vents glued into it which would probably cost about $10 if you ordered them from slp, and their fuel controller. thinking it cost me a total of $1200. I'm not exactly sure if it really added that much hp but it did feel quite a bit more snappy than stock and really sounded alot better!! but in my opinion not sure if it was worth the cash should have waited for the 180 sc or turbo and went with that, then you know you have the ponies everywhere you are riding!

R
Sep 10, 2010
Yah I think it boils down to about $ 1000 per 10 hp no matter how you do it other than a turbo or nitrous. I am not a fan of nitrous ,but am a fan of a turbo. I guess the thing is you can do a bunch of stuff in stages and that takes away the $ sting. Where as a turbo is a one shot deal.

Some turbos are advertised at 260hp approx at 16lbs of boost for a nytro, so if you do the math at about $6000 for a system it works out to be approx $ 230 per 10 hp

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
2008 i bought a nytro RTX short track, i put a 2" 121 dropped all 9 tooth drivers for two 8 tooth extro/intros, played with the clutching, built my own glass pack and ran it under tunnel, and stipped everything of wieght i can befor the sled would fall apart, pulled tons of wieght out of my skid, and in stock form at 660feet i was running about 140-150kms after everything was done i was pulling about 165kms all day, its just over 100mph, at a 1000feet fast pull i did was 185kms, thats about 110mph? give or take and i still had lots left just no room, If it wasnt for the wieght and i like my sleds a multi purpose i would have keep it but i have heard about guys doing port/polish and some other goodies and making upwards of 180hp on pump gas? but most would rather slap a turbo on and go, i like that your keeping it naturally asperiated, i would have done many of this myself but there really isnt any market as yamaha is killing the turbo area and thats there new name, if you can get a hold of yamahas race team or one of there sleds i bet that motor has some tricks under the hood

T

t_thall

Oct 22, 2008
Anyone know how high the nytro can geared? I've heard they are pretty limited how much you can change cause of the chaincase but haven't tried anything my self yet... Btw firecat99 i'm the one that bought your yamaha. I ported/polished it, modified the chambers and valves, rods/pistons, custom turbo setup, etc etc. The clutches shift out fully right around 185-190 on the speedo, not sure of the actual speed cause of the 8 tooth drivers, gets there very fast though!

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Sorry

Does anyone know about mods that get you into this area short of a turbo.

clutching + intake mod + exhaust + ??????? = ????? mph

Drive ot off a cliff......thats about it.(don't tke me too seriously here) Make sure someone below has a radar gun. My riding buddy put Hauck(??spell) exhaust on his MTX after a year of stock and he figued for sure it was way noisier... but thats about all he was sure of. Camo challenger was a huge improvement for climbing how ever but thats not what your after.
Two other xtx that we ride with in the flats and 120mph is a loooooong way from where they are at stock. Even on the Yami dream-ometer its a long way from 120. You may need to budget for a hair dryer and some gearing. You won't regret the move to boost but your bank account will.
If you go boost just remember that the diff between a 180-200boost kit and 240-280+ is about $1500-$2000 so thats about 60-80hp @$20-$25each.
As has been stated above, typical hp comes at about $100 a pop.

Premium Features