• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can a non-tuner own a turbo?

B
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian Idaho
I had a stock apex motor blow up bad on me last year. It can happen, Rare, but it can. The 2 strokes are more matienance but definately easier and cheaper to work on. That being said I still love my 4 stroke. Someday I'll get some boost and then I'll really love it.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I just got back from the mountains with my 2010 Impulse Nytro with the standalone. At first I had a little trouble with it, mainly we had the fuel pressure regulator set to high and it was running to rich but after that and a few minor things the dealer didn't tighten up I had 3 really good days on it. Just turn the key and ride other then playing with clutch weights.
If you don't want to be tuning all the time I think the standalone is the way to go.

Tobbe...

Lifetime Membership
Mar 27, 2008
Sweden
Ive gotta say im a bit confused. I domnt see myself as an mechanical genie in any way, but i managed to mount my MCX 240 all by myself and so far i havent had any issues at all-just fill gas and go. Is it pure luck, or am i better of a mechanic than i realized?? Or is it just that simple that i took the time i needed -real slow, some nights i hardely made any progress at all and find it better to just turn out the lights, go to bed and try again the day after...- The install took me ~60hrs, but as i said i wasn´t in a hurry either.
Initially i got some issues with clutching, but i think i got a good setup at this point. Im at work for the moment, but as soon as i come home again i will try it out in fresh 5 1/2ft of powder:face-icon-small-hap

Am i gonna see a lot of problems in the future or what?
Btw i have in the past done a bit of mod´s on a Audi Coupe with the 5cyl turboengine, but only "minor" modifications as bigger turbo, other intakemanifold, cams, bigger fuelsystems and so on, mapping and finetuning i wont get myself into-ive seen horrible results on other cars when someone that think he can dosent...

So far I will say-yes, a TYamaha is possible to own even if you dont wrench.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
wrenchin

Ive gotta say im a bit confused. I domnt see myself as an mechanical genie in any way, but i managed to mount my MCX 240 all by myself and so far i havent had any issues at all-just fill gas and go. Is it pure luck, or am i better of a mechanic than i realized?? Or is it just that simple that i took the time i needed -real slow, some nights i hardely made any progress at all and find it better to just turn out the lights, go to bed and try again the day after...- The install took me ~60hrs, but as i said i wasn´t in a hurry either.
Initially i got some issues with clutching, but i think i got a good setup at this point. Im at work for the moment, but as soon as i come home again i will try it out in fresh 5 1/2ft of powder:face-icon-small-hap

Am i gonna see a lot of problems in the future or what?
Btw i have in the past done a bit of mod´s on a Audi Coupe with the 5cyl turboengine, but only "minor" modifications as bigger turbo, other intakemanifold, cams, bigger fuelsystems and so on, mapping and finetuning i wont get myself into-ive seen horrible results on other cars when someone that think he can dosent...

So far I will say-yes, a TYamaha is possible to own even if you dont wrench.

Hey if you did the complete install along with a head shim, your no slouch with wrenches. Especially if it all worked when you turned the key.

Tobbe...

Lifetime Membership
Mar 27, 2008
Sweden
To be honest i was quite nervous when i turned the key at the first startup-those three seconds the engine turned felt like forever, just to ignite and idle like it never had been teared down in what i felt a million pieces...

And-there was a point when the sled was completely apart except for the tunnel and cables, and my wife came into the garage and asked me if that was the new sled i had picked up a few weeks before? At that moment i allmost got second thoghts-but it was a bit too late for that:face-icon-small-hap
I made a few -to or three- calls to MCX to straighten some questionmarks out, but all in all it wasent to hard to put it together again, again-take it easy, take the time it works out fine. For now anyway, i just have like 250kms on it at the moment. (Trying at the moment to combine a undertunnel system along with the turbo-stay tuned, i will get back from work in a week so sometimes next saturday/sunday i hope to be done. Did i mention undertunnel along with a muffler?:face-icon-small-coo Time will tell if the space is enough, fact is that the muffler is going to be extremely short-like ~25cm/9,8"...)

And btw-i spended allmoast a hole bottle of red locktite when assembeling-i know i put it on a lot of bolts that´s not locktited from factory, but better safe than sorry so to speak. I put it on allmost every bolt:face-icon-small-hap

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
We normally use blue loctite when bolting in aluminum. Red will keep it tight but if you have to remove the bolts it can tear out the threads.

Tobbe...

Lifetime Membership
Mar 27, 2008
Sweden
Oh, sorry youre abolutely right-its the bottle that is red-not the fluid istelf:face-icon-small-con
(It is blue locktite, i can see witch # it is when im back home...)
Pushing far too many hours at work for the moment, been doin 16-hour-days for ten days in a row now... But starting to see light in the end of the tunnel, just four days left, then im headin´ home for a four week long "freeperiod" in the middle of the best ridingseason! Too bad it takes 20 hours to get home from work thow, it sucks when you just wanna get back home...

Premium Features