• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how much slop is too much in crank bearings?

Oct 28, 2009
I just split the case this morning to check the bearings and they have side to side slop. there are no rough spots and they all spin freely and dont sound like theyre worn out there is just a bit of play side to side. i loked into cranks on ebay and they sell rebuilt ones for $375 and you have to send your old one in. Is there a cheaper place to do this if I need to replace them?

Oct 28, 2009
Also I noticed the outer most clutch bearing on the crank would spin freely with the crank sitting in the bottom half case. It looks like its worn down on the case.

Dec 30, 2007
Crescent, Iowa
Usually you measure crank run out on the PTO side (clutch side). Up to .005" is tolerable. Though when it get to .004", I would start to be concerned. The only thing that you are checking for doing it that way is for rust, and usually these don't fail from rusty bearing unless they weren't properly stored in the summer. The case holds the crank in position, but I would be concerned if there were wear marks in the case from the PTO bearing.

2nd When you are purchasing the crank don't go for the cheapest one unless you know that is a quality shop. IndyDan puts a 3 year warranty on his. Plus if the cheap one goes, probably no warranty and you end up spending more money on it. This is the heart of the sled.

Dec 30, 2007
Crescent, Iowa
You can check crank run out easily in the chassis by setting up a dial indicator on the PTO (with the clutch removed). Pull the Plugs and have some one pull the rope easy while you watch the dial indicator. Hopefully you didn't pull the crank out of the cases. Sometimes they will go out of tolerances by pulling it out of the cases.

Oct 28, 2009
You can check crank run out easily in the chassis by setting up a dial indicator on the PTO (with the clutch removed). Pull the Plugs and have some one pull the rope easy while you watch the dial indicator. Hopefully you didn't pull the crank out of the cases. Sometimes they will go out of tolerances by pulling it out of the cases.

With the cases split I cleaned the cases in the solvent tank and wiped the crank down. Set it on the bottom half and i tried to spin the bearings. the clutch side was good, the two bearings on the mag side spun and looks like they have been spinning for awhile, the next one in would spin too, the others woudlnt spin. what do they do when they line bore the cases?

Dec 30, 2007
Crescent, Iowa
You can contact him through the members list under indydan or Indy Specialties, 23503 145th Ave Welch, MN 55089
651-388-9045. Easiest way is to go to the members list and pm him.

Premium Features