• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Water/Meth without head shim

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Thinking? If I run meth/water what is the most boost i can run on a stock motor(without headshim) on 91 octane? Been doing some reading and am worried about losing to much throttle response at high elevation.

Is cam timing still someting that can be done to make a turbo sled perform better even if the head shim is not installed.

Hopefully I can get some good answers. I have this meth/water injection kit sitting here. And My motor guy is slow to get the shim installed(hasn't started it yet and I am just thinking about not doing it.

G

GroundPounder

Aug 14, 2008
West Seneca, NY
Im running Powderlites Stage 2 rear-mount on my 09 Nytro RTX. My motor is untouched and running regular fuel (87) at 9lbs of boost at sea level with Hurricane's Meth Injection kit. This is my second season with this set-up and have had no problems at all!!

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
timing

Does PL run a special map for the meth injection? If so it is possible that they are making a big change to timing. This is why I ask as i don't want to have to change timing. I pretty much have myself sold on doing this.

Thanks

G

GroundPounder

Aug 14, 2008
West Seneca, NY
I did not touch the timing at all. Dave Marshall at Hurricane Performance did my turbo install as well as his meth injection kit. Give him a call. Great guy to talk to and if you go onto his website my sled is pictured there so you can get an idea.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Thinking? If I run meth/water what is the most boost i can run on a stock motor(without headshim) on 91 octane? Been doing some reading and am worried about losing to much throttle response at high elevation.

Is cam timing still someting that can be done to make a turbo sled perform better even if the head shim is not installed.

Hopefully I can get some good answers. I have this meth/water injection kit sitting here. And My motor guy is slow to get the shim installed(hasn't started it yet and I am just thinking about not doing it.

Sounds familiar, hope you have better luck than I did:eek: Am I the only one that's had bad luck with this?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Ttt

I was hoping that Racinstation would chime in. I know that he has done alot of research to see what works and what doesn't. I know that there are alot of guys out there that are wondering the same thing as me.

I saw an older post that he was advertising 9-10lbs on 85 octane, 12lbs on 87 octane and 15lbs on 91 octane with they kit he is selling on the nytro without head shim. Should this apply to the apex, RX1 and vector just the same?

R

richyrich

Nov 26, 2007
Mt Baker
Please dont think I want you to go away from Racinstation if thats where you want help from. I just did a Meth kit through Dave at Hurricane Performance. One of the best guys to work with. Very helpful with the purchase, install and setup. He even took my calls on a weekend to make sure things were done correctly. Great guy.

E

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Yep

Please dont think I want you to go away from Racinstation if thats where you want help from. I just did a Meth kit through Dave at Hurricane Performance. One of the best guys to work with. Very helpful with the purchase, install and setup. He even took my calls on a weekend to make sure things were done correctly. Great guy.

E

Good Point, All of these guys are good to work with, Racinstation, Powderlites, hurricane Performance. And i believe all have the 4 stroke turbo world figured out, and have done the R&D on the things that they sell. Would buy from any of them!

But that is not the question I have right now I would just like to know what aprox boost levels are safe on a given motor. For me the vector motor, I think that there are others following this post with apex's and rx1's wondering the same thing. These are the answers to questions that guys want to know before spending the money.

R

richyrich

Nov 26, 2007
Mt Baker
Ty4stroke.com is by far the best location to read about Water/Meth injection on 4-stroke sleds. It seems like the boys on the east coast have been using it for a while now and really have it figured out. In talking with Mike and Dean from Alpine, they have the game figured out for the Mountains. With the combination of the two I got my setup done.

Dave from Hurricane performance actually posts numbers from the dino. With his block and complete motor build I know he's gotten over 460hp on pump gas. Mind you that is a fully built motor, rods, piston, Hurricane block and big head studs. Last week they ran a stock motor with big head studs. They stopped at 349hp on pump gas.

Now alot of people will say all the negatives on running water/meth. , pump failure possibilities and all, corrosive issues of injecting a liquid into the motor. With the proper proventative maitenance and not going crazy and trying to be a HP whore, you should be fine. Im still going to run 110fuel, and use the meth to just take the edge off and try to get rid of the Det issues or possibilities.

Just keep doing your research and hopefully this helps you make a few decisions. Or maybe give a few more places to look.

Good luck

E

J
Dec 15, 2007
Troy, MT
I'm hoping to add Meth injection to the T Vector this year. What is the limit for boost with 91 oct. when running a stock motor?

Thanks, JOP :beer;:face-icon-small-hap

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
JBB~ Was this with the Meth kit or just with the Shim? I'm running a 90th head shim. I'm hoping for 18 to 20lbs on 91 with Meth. Well see how it all pans out. Thanks for the info. JOP

From all the reading, and asking questions that I have done. I was told that the stock vector motor may not have the oiling capabilities that a nytro motor has. This is an apparant issue when on higher boost. Pretty much from the way I take it. If I can keep it denotation free and use a extreme high quality oil in the motor that I can run a decent amount of boost. I am going to run 12-14lbs at 8000+ feet on 91 or better with a meth injection kit. The high cylinder pressure pushing down on the rods sounds more that a rod bearing failure may happen easily with denotation showing its ugly face at the higher boost. Also a major feeling for me about the meth injection for me is that it will keep my header cool and help it to not crack.

So in conclusion. Keep the motor around that 11.5:1-12.5:1 range at full boost. Keep the meth tank full and maintain the system daily, much like you would a oil injection system on a 2 stroke. Use good quality water/meth mixture.

Premium Features