• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

symptoms of a blown/leaky head gaskey under boost?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Become a member on ty4 if your not already. There is alot of info over there about cam timing and installing head shims. A few step by step right ups and everything.
im a memeber of TY and read a LOT, just as you know, searching and hunting it down can be a PITA... half the time you might as well just read everything!! but i do try to hunt on there as much as possible.

as far as installing, I know why i messed it up now, but i wont post that on here for the sake of looking rather retarted, lets just say we were all young and dumb once.. glad im still young and can say that! but i know what I need to do, and actually, i think its easier for me to take my head of then on a front mount RX1 or apex... just how it wroks out i guess!! very little has to come off...

Im also wondering if the leaky gasket is causing me my bizarre erratic idle, as it only does it when the sled is nice and warm... if its leaking enough to idle up, leaning out, then it spools the turbo a bit as the idle jumps then it starts to push more air, open the slides... makes sense as my idle doesnt quite hop around the same without the airbox on, or at least not as high.
and kinger, your about to get a PM.

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
If the cam timing didn't get done that would be way off too causing weird issues. It needs to change alot considering the thickness of the powderlites shim.

For now I am not going to run the shim in the vector. Just keep the boost down and run some meth in it. Maybe I will decide next year I wanna run big boost and put rods and pistons in.

Hopefully this head gasket issue gets all your problems figured out. My advice is to take your time on the motor work. Realize that your probally not going to get it done in a night. These 4 strokes have alot going on. Also might as well check your valve clearances after you have the new gasket in and cam timing done. It will take some time but so would pullin the motor again. I beleive the clearances should be at the top of the spec. for a turbo application.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, also, lucky me, the motor only has 1200 miles on it, so everything is nice and not worn, so that makes things at least not suck working on stuff thats getting slopy.

after reading more on the cam timing that could also be making it run kinda goofy as the powderlites shim is .065 if i remeber correctly, so that changes things a LOT. gotta grind out the intake cam gear while its out. doing lots of fun reading on TY figuring out whats going on. and i still may be a tad lean on my mains, but this could be causing some serious issues that i dont need to be trying to tune around.

Premium Features