• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Nytro: What are my choices??

D
Nov 26, 2007
I had some at one point. Dont know if I still do. The charge tube rubs where it is smashed between the frame and the top of the engine. If you pull your fuel tank off you can see where im talking about. then pull the charge tube off. You will then see the gasket with the half circle alignment tabs. The tube rubs against one of those tabs and knocks it out.

I bent a piece of aluminum plate and cyliconed it in place between the motor and the charge tube to keep it from rubbing

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
I really enjoy riding the Ski-Doo Summits that I have rented over the past couple years, but I am SERIOUSLY concerned about service/maintenance issues on them...

Just courious, what concerns do you speak of? I put 1300 mile on my 09 X last year and still have the same belt hitting 8200 RPMs. put a bunch of SLP goodies on it and all I do is push the little starty button and ride. Would like to know about service/maintenance issues

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Chris, come up to Butte, MT have mark leipheimer install a 270 MCX kit and be done with it... i guarantee you will be happier with the larger kit, and at lower boost it will last forever unless you dont take care of it.

I kinda forgot about NW turbo when ulmer took it over, but thats a very good idea for your setup, i know somebody who runs one on 10# and has no issues with it and its as reliable as a stock sled, just always look it over, its not stock, and never will be stock with a turbo on it, just try not to forget that.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I agree with what has been said about the Ulmer/NW turbo. I was looking at them before I decided to go with a boondocker kit. The NW kit was marketed as plug and play. The original fuel controller wouldn't let you lean it out too far, it has a cast iron header that shouldn't crack, and runs just enough boost to put a smile on your face.

My reasons for going with boondocker....They are close by for customer support, adjustable boost for elevation (controller does it automatically), front mount (less lag), smokin good price from SNOW JW, and it comes with a neat little "push to pass" button that will increase boost to a pre-set level if you need a little more ooommph to get over the top. The down side is I'll have to run Race fuel if I go over 10lbs of boost, anything over 5 and I'll be running AV gas.

I personally wouldn't go MCX because its a rear mount (a little more lag when you hit the flipper), and with the headshim you lower the compression which means you'll lose a little grunt in the lower RPMs. I personally love the torque my sled has off idle so I dont want to change that a bit.

When you boost your sled you will probably want to get a shockwave helix so you can tune for RPM at altitude, although the 47 degree helix from an Apex can be used and guys have had good luck with them. I'd also recommend supertips from bikeman to help get the clutching dialed.

Another issue I haven't seen brought up is swapping the drivers to avids. Your stock ones might hold up okay to low boost, but I think its worth it to have the peace of mind knowing you've got avids in there that will take the abuse.

along with that, you might as well put a decent track and suspension under it, because the stock suspension is HEAVY and undersprung. At the least, I would upgrade the track and springs.

Hope that helps!

M
Jan 14, 2004
I just recieved my Rx midmount conversion parts from Paul at Impulse and I have never held a beefier header in my hands, ever, it makes all the others look like a total joke. Somebody might make one but I don't know who. When I turbo my Nytro I'll be taking a pretty serious look at the Impulse kit. IMO its got everything a guy could want. Good weight disribution on the sled, killer throttle response being a midmount, reliability, top notch fuel management, real tube header as opposed to a log style and quality parts. 17lbs on pump, that's off the hook.

M5

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I would say Impulse for all around kit. Having it be a mid mount with one of the shortest runs to the intercooler makes for pretty much 0 lag, which is great if you want to boondock a lot and climb. And having it a full stand alone system you can lower the boost on most days you are out with the family but if there are days you go out with the guys and want to turn it up a bit and have some fun, just turn the dial up on the boost controller and your done. The fuel system will do the rest.

With his header design and extra turbo support you don't have to worry about a broken header, and with the larger fuel tank you don't always have to pack fuel, but with it being a tunnel dump you still have the option without having to modify the mcx or put a 90 degree on it. If you are spending the money for the turbo might as well get the most for your money and then you have the option of turning it up or down when you want and don't have to mess with a fuel controller on top of a boost controller. And with it being mid mount even at lower boost levels and the shim you won't see the lag you would in a rear mount with a shim and lower boost levels.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
For those looking to do a kit, just know that mcxpress is not the only "turnkey" "no wrenching" "no tuning" kit. Seriously, if it's initially set up right Impulse, mcxpress, Alpine, will be just the same. Just because Impulse and Alpine have fuel controllers that you actually can adjust doesn't mean your pushing buttons all day. In fact on my Impulse Apex this year I bet I touched the fuel controller maybe 3 times. 2 of those times I probably didn't need to. And I was running 18 psi day in day out. With the Impulse pump gas kit with stand alone, you won't have to tune at all with fuel, you won't have to, nor will you have the ability to adjust, just like the mcxpress. Paul will have all the mapping done. Turn the key and ride, just like the mcxpress. Not tuning no wrenching. If you don't want to run 17 psi and run 10, you can turn it down to 10 psi, or anything inbetween. If you ride in the deep stuff IMO you will eventually want to turn it up to at least 15. I think that's when things start getting fun. I can honestly say for most, if you ride a couple times at 10 psi you WILL want to turn the boost up eventually. So why not have the capacity to do so? You may not think it now, just trust me you will sooner or later want to crank it up, especially when it's deep, and you'll be glad you had the ability to when that time comes.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
if you ride a couple times at 10 psi you WILL want to turn the boost up eventually. So why not have the capacity to do so? You may not think it now, just trust me you will sooner or later want to crank it up, especially when it's deep, and you'll be glad you had the ability to when that time comes.
This seems to be a common comment in this thread.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
IMHO, I think boost is an absolute waste of money if your not looking to go over 12lbs. Even at that level, it will not blow your hair back. Ive ridden a tonne of different sleds. Once you hit 15lbs the fun factor starts to go up. Below that......personally I would stick to a lightwieght two stroke.

Again......just my humble opinion. :beer;

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
IMHO, I think boost is an absolute waste of money if your not looking to go over 12lbs. Even at that level, it will not blow your hair back. Ive ridden a tonne of different sleds. Once you hit 15lbs the fun factor starts to go up. Below that......personally I would stick to a lightwieght two stroke.

Again......just my humble opinion. :beer;

You obviously haven't ridden a Nytro on 12lbs, LOL :D And yes I've ridden a race gas 2 stroke turbo, fun, but not the same as a 4 stroke

Last edited:
E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Christopher, you find a kit yet to suit your needs? If your interested i know a guy selling a alpine kit off his Nytro 2860 turbo prologer ect.... and will be priced fair.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thank You for the continued comments.
I really do appreciate hearing from all of you.

Just like the rest of you, I have to pay for this out of my own pocket, so I want to be as careful and diligent in making a choice as I can, since I really can not afford to make a $6,000 mistake.

N
Jan 29, 2008
I'm surprised you haven't looked at a Powderlites turbo setup. They seem to be one of the favorites over on TY and everyone seems to rave about their customer support.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am wide open and considering ALL of the options at this point. Right now I am just trying to gain some understanding whats out there, what works, what doesn't and what makes each of them different and unique in the marketplace.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Thank You for the continued comments.
I really do appreciate hearing from all of you.

Just like the rest of you, I have to pay for this out of my own pocket, so I want to be as careful and diligent in making a choice as I can, since I really can not afford to make a $6,000 mistake.

You've got that right, 6 grand is a lot to drop on a sled at once! I'll have around 6200 into my boondocker kit (kit, avids, A/F gauge, clutching) by the time I'm done...and that is if I do the install myself - which is pretty unlikely. Boondocker might be a good choice for you since they are in southern Idaho as well...they are close by for customer support.

As long as the customer support is there and you have a good installation you should be fine with any of the major kits.

Premium Features