• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

low budget performance upgrades??

hey all, i have a 2004 switchback 800 and i was wondering if anyone has some legit low budget performance upgrades for it besides twin pipes and heads. also i was wondering about shortening the steering post on it so when i take the cover off of the handlebars and put on a riser and pro-taper bars i dont have 5 inches of post, and 5 inches of riser...is this a good idea and if so how should i shorten the post so that it still remains strong and straight??

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
Shortening the post will probably be more work than it's worth.
Higher bars work better riding off trail any way.

For low cost performance work, look at your clutching.
Set up is everything when it comes to making a machine perform.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Regear the sled. Either go to the RMK gearing of 21/41. Or, if you spend most of the time off trail, go crazy with 19/43.
You are on the right track with risers too. I wouldn't bother with the post, but I would get those suckers up there a bit more. I think the cables could only handle about 2". So you will need extended brake and throttle.

i dont want to shorten the post to keep it short, i want to shorten the post so when i do put on risers, it looks decent with just risers showing instead of a little skinny post, and then lots of riser. but clutching and gearing i got all done on it. forget wut spring and weights i have but it shifts quick and smooth, and i have a pretty low gearing set up already. i was wondering more along the lines if theres some tricks with the airbox to gutting it or removing it completely and inplace putting a high flow filter of some sort? and if its worth getting any porting done or any thing? thanks all so far for there help...and yes i do needa go on a diet!

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
I have an 01 rmk 700 with ported cylinders and that wa the best thing I ever had done sled pulls so much harder now not to mention revs up much quicker
idk if this helps I hope so

Premium Features