• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 xm chain case

S
Nov 13, 2009
What oil is every one using in their chain case?,how often are you adjusting the chain? and how often are you changing the oil?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Adjust at first 100 miles and check at 4-500, at least 2x a year to be safe. Those long chains stratch a lot!
I use pretty much any synthetic chaincase oil, it takes 8-9 oz, no need to use the check plug.
A easy way to check tension....adjust with cover off the first time to get the proper amount of play. Then put the brake on and feel or measure how much you can rotate the secondary. Get a feel for what is "right" and in the future just a wiggle of the secondary clutch and you will know if it needs to be tightened.

S
Nov 13, 2009
Thanks for your time to reply,can you use a synthetic 75 140 gear oil? I think i read somthing on the amsoil site as a better match for the brp,but wasn't sure.

S
Nov 13, 2009
It does say that on the amsoil site that the 75w 140 gear oil is a closer match to the brp chain oil spec, has ony one been using the 75w 140 gear oil? Does any one know what the spec's are for chain oils?

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
I would say just use actual chaincase oil that you know is good it only costs like $14 and its not like you burn through it 14 for a year is pretty cheap in this sport don't cut corners and experiment with non proven oils.

S
Nov 13, 2009
Thanks for the reply,it is never about the cost (but, more about which is the best to use )a little confusion being that the xm usues a smaller chain , it might make sense that it does generate more heat and that is why they say the gear oil spec is closer to the brp chain case oil spec,which might be a little thicker than other chain oil brands.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
i have used a syn gear oil when that is all that is available, which is a good choice also i think except when its -25 c out and you take off and go riding, the oil is very thick for a while till it warms up, i use with absolutely no issues for years now is a full syn manual trans fluid, its a 75 weight and never really gets super stiff.. im a tech also and i know there is lots of heat and friction in transmissions also so i figured it would be fine also.. i get it for nothing that is why i use it but if i had to buy it off the shelf i would probobaly buy the normal chaincase oil also..

Premium Features