• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can I keep the oil in chain case during gear change?

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Can you tip the sled on its side and keep the oil in the chain case like you could way back when before the diamond drive? Or should I get a new bottle of chain lube before I start? Any other things to watch out for? 800 PC

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I did it both ways and I think it was easier with sled on its side

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
When you tip it up on its side, make sure to plug your chaincase vent tube. I dribbled oil all over when I had mine apart last time

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Thanks for the replies. I just tipped it on its side and it worked great. I still spilled a little but not bad. Next time I will make sure my block under the tunnel is a hair bigger then I wont spill any. The new chain tightened is pretty cool.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Everyone-Quit making it so difficult - the easy way it to put a floor jack under the handle bars- 1st- raise the jack as high as it will go- tip the sled on the side guiding the brake side to rest in the jack cup- then all you have to do is lower the jack till the sled is horizional-

I find it easier to tip the sled with the jack all the way up- undo all the bolts except for the bottom two- lay it over and remove the bottom two-
You won't loose a drop of oil- don't have to worroy about no vent tube or nuttin--- easy cheesy:high5:

S/C

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
It's sad I had a floor jack right next to me the entire process and never thought about how easy that would be. Oh well next time I guess

Premium Features