• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

track length

E

elimn8r475

Jan 5, 2010
fargo, nd
i want to get a new mountain sled and am unshure on what length track to get how much diff is it 153 to 164 etc power/ weight / turning around, what is the best all around track length for boondockin, hillclimb, i do like to jump alot too

R
Mar 21, 2009
it really depends on what you ride like we have a dragon that is 164 and it's weird to carve but awesome to climb then we have a 153 cat and it is a blast to climb and carve and a 154 skidoo that is different again it all depends on your person preference really so get with your buddy's and ride there's and see what you like that's really the best way to decide what you want

I once had a older wise man (my father) tell me that sled with power and traction is only as good as you ride it. SO I thought i was big and bad on my 1000 W/162 then I rode a couple 800 W/151 and 154 I then reliezed I can climb everything I was climbing before almost as easy. The point im trying to make is if you ride style is somewhere a 154- track can handle then why I get a 162+? I know some guys who buy a 162 or around that and spend most there time on the trail and when they get off its somewhere a intermediate rider can handle on a 151. I would never have got a 162 if I knew how bad I would hate it for jumping/boondocking. there has only been 4 rides on the 1000 W/162 600 miles that I was happy having that long of a track.

Now something to consider if your a bigger guy 280+ and tall like my father you might want the longer traction to float with but I way 200 and get away just fine with a 154 track. Infact I kinda wished I had went with a 146 for jumping but I know there would be more times then not i wish I had went with a 154. Keep in mind any newer sled these days is light and nimble compared to early 2000's sleds. I hope this helps:beer;

O
Dec 6, 2007
You definately need to ride some sleds. Track legnth really isnt going to be a big issue between 153 and 162. That is only 4 inches on the snow. I would concentrate more on the chassis that serves your needs best. If jumping is really what you want to do, you can go Ski Doo and get a 146x16 track which gives more floatation for the legnth and Doo's are excellent jumpers, very well balanced for it. Also depends on where you live and what kind of snow/terrain you ride. If you are in the Pac NW maybe a shorter track is better for the heavier snow. In CO where the snow is usually very light and dry I like a looooong track. Turning isn't and issue when the snow is light and deep.

It is a compromise, there is no silver bullet. The good news is, they are all FUN.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
i want to get a new mountain sled and am unshure on what length track to get how much diff is it 153 to 164 etc power/ weight / turning around, what is the best all around track length for boondockin, hillclimb, i do like to jump alot too

Get the biggest track you can. The only downside to them is they require a little more attention loading in and out of short enclosed trailers.

Bigger track means you just gotta hit the jumps with more speed ;)

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
i have a 146 x 16 and wouldnt trade it for anything, and have never had a problem keeping up with anyone

You obviously don't ride in DEEP snow. We ride with sleds (doos) that have this track and they can't even track poach a long track sled up the hill in the deep.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
from everything i've read your a dumb****

great post fu**tard.

These threads pop up about every other week and usually get about 5 people that say they will never ride anything but a 174, or may be a 162. I live up high, ride big-ish terrain, and the idea that you NEED to ride a long track like that is ridiculous.

I like a short track, and have NEVER not been able to ride where my friends are riding, but yeah, it takes more work.

Sorry somebody has to give a counterpoint.

But thanks for your impressive insight into my psyche, truly astounding.

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
X2,:beer; but I am sure i will have more miles on my 154 then my 162 by next winter.

I agree with your statement on track length but to compare a xp to a rt is like comparing apples to oranges. totally diffrent machines to begin with

Premium Features