For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Bourboncty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anything bad about a 2014 ram diesel?

Looking to buy a 2014 ram SLT crew cab with 90,000 miles. This would be my first ram purchase, and first diesel. Anything I should be concerned about or specifically look for at the inspection - the owner appears to take care of his stuff. Price is $30,000

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Currently: Doing the Snow Dance!
TecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond reputeTecCrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2014 Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourboncty View Post
Looking to buy a 2014 ram SLT crew cab with 90,000 miles. This would be my first ram purchase, and first diesel. Anything I should be concerned about or specifically look for at the inspection - the owner appears to take care of his stuff. Price is $30,000
I wish I was more help on what to look for, I took my 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie into my mechanic to check over before I bought it as it was my first diesel as well. It's damn good truck that pulls anything I want to hook on to. I average about 19 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving. Let me know if you have any questions at all.

TecCrash

Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Currently: "It's Aerial Yoga"
zecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond reputezecow224 has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is my buddy bought one new, and within 10k miles it has been throwing codes wide open and goes into limp mode. He ended up getting lemon law on it and switched to a duramax.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Currently: Leroy, MN waiting to go west
hamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond reputehamlin has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not a bad price if it’s been taken care of. I have a ‘12 I bought new and close friend has a 14 he bought new. They’ve both been solid trucks. The 14 pulling an 8.5x25 v-nose steel trailer to Wyoming and back to mn we average 11.5-12 mpg. I think he gets ~19 empty I’m usually in it when it’s hooked to the trailer.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Currently: Trump is a troll
Thanked 3,602 Times in 1,808 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecow224 View Post
All I can say is my buddy bought one new, and within 10k miles it has been throwing codes wide open and goes into limp mode. He ended up getting lemon law on it and switched to a duramax.
I have a friend with a '13 with same issues, but it appears that they got stuff squared away, been good for. A couple years now.

Member of South Dakota Snowmobile Assn.

Support the sport you love, join a club & get involved!

Remember, Pig & Elephant DNA just don't splice

Old 10-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Currently: Riding every chance I get
Basic Member
GlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the Cummins Forum.

www.cumminsforum.com

A lot more info.

If you look, for the most part the 13 and up Cummins are pretty trouble free.

My 14 has been great

Old 11-15-2018, 06:41 AM
Currently: needs some shop time to work on the sled
dodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond reputedodgetruck2 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Id imagine you made your purchase or didn't by now but just another $.02, it sound like a pretty great deal if all is taken care of, one thing to remember is they all break, and every now and then ya get a bad one, ive been a Ram Cummins guy from the beginning and still am but I did recently switch to 5.7 Hemi just to shake things up wishing now id have opted for a 6.4Hemi but this ol 5.7 Can work too, im genuinely surprised after being in the diesel world so long, currently the only 2 things I miss are the mpgs and that sweet exhaust tone but with diesel around hear being almost 70 cents higher then gas (E10) I think the mpgs are about a wash and I don't have to deal with winter fuel

as far as the truck in question being its getting up there towards the 100k mark id look into an emmissions delete if it hasn't already been that will eliminate 75% of potential issues, the 6.7L injectors seems to have their crap together also I don't see near the failures like the older 5.9s did, if you do delete keep the power under control the 68RFE is a solid trans behind the stock engine, my last one had a 170k when I sold it and the next owner took it to 250k before he wiped out the OD clutches (he beat it pretty hard too)

post up some pictures if you buy :thumbsup:

2004 Polaris 700 RMK Vertical Escape 144" Converted to 163x2.25" l 7T No Slip Drives l Anti-Stab l PERC l Hand Guards l SLP Pipe/Can l SLP Intake Air Horn l 8" Big Wheel Kit
69 SnoJet JetFlite working on restoration / 72 SnoJet StarJet Deluxe
2006 Ram 1500 MegaLaramie 5.7L Auto 4x4 STOCK