For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Fouled Plug Stuff not directly related to snowmobiles. ATVs, trucks, hunting, sports, boating etc. Please keep it clean.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 04:50 AM
Currently: TOO MANY PROJECTS!
joshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default garage shop choices

I have a few options upon me but would like suggestions

I just bought a crappy house with a little garage and hardly any property.

I don't plan on being here forever so I definitely am not interested in building a blown out shop like I want just to have to do it again.

as it sits is too short to drive my pickup in and even if I could its too long to shut the door. the floor is messed up with big pits chunked out of it. it had a flooding problem and the previous owners answer to it was to drill 1" holes all over randomly to drain it out. however I do get night crawlers through em!

I have a plan in my head ofjacking it up for a new floor and gaining clearance. but no one has any thing good or bad to say about pouring 4" of concrete on top of 4" of set concrete. I think this would be the cheapest route

or I could tear it all down and rent a storage unit for all my crap and start over with maby a 30x40 or 50 nothing too big

I wish I had enough space to just build new

what would you do

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Currently: Waiting on Winter
sledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond reputesledheader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkoltes View Post
I have a few options upon me but would like suggestions

I just bought a crappy house with a little garage and hardly any property.

I don't plan on being here forever so I definitely am not interested in building a blown out shop like I want just to have to do it again.

as it sits is too short to drive my pickup in and even if I could its too long to shut the door. the floor is messed up with big pits chunked out of it. it had a flooding problem and the previous owners answer to it was to drill 1" holes all over randomly to drain it out. however I do get night crawlers through em!

I have a plan in my head ofjacking it up for a new floor and gaining clearance. but no one has any thing good or bad to say about pouring 4" of concrete on top of 4" of set concrete. I think this would be the cheapest route

or I could tear it all down and rent a storage unit for all my crap and start over with maby a 30x40 or 50 nothing too big

I wish I had enough space to just build new

what would you do
Structurally speaking, you wouldn't have any problems pouring concrete on top of old concrete, but you need to stop and look at the economics of what you're talking about. Can it be done? Sure. But would you be better off to start over? Most likely. What kind of shape is the building in? How high are you going to lift it? If you need 6 inches for clearance, if you put a new floor in, you will need 10. That's alot. Then you are going to run into problems in front, because you will have to build a ramp to get up the extra 4 inches so you don't have a huge break in grade. The best way to do this is a concrete apron rather than gravel so it doesn't just bounce out. Not a big deal, but concrete is expensive to buy. Have you poured concrete before? Are you going to do this work yourself? If you are paying for it to be done, you will be baffled at how much labor will cost, and in the end, you will still have the same garage as you had before.

Do you have clearance issues with the whole garage or just the door?

Old 05-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
warreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond reputewarreng417 has a reputation beyond repute

Make a sea can garage

The Following User Says Thank You to warreng417 For This Useful Post:
MountainTrashCat (05-31-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM
joshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Well your right on all that but it seems it'll be expensive both ways. I was thinking of raising it two feet four inches. The apron that's there now is part of the problem its uphill and runoff flows right in the front door! But yes I'd still be in the same garagewhich is a little short to put my ford all the way in
Cost wise I'm assuming starting over I could do the demo but pay for some storage for the duration of the build, pay for excavating a pad, pay for forming the pad, then pay for the pour. Then buy a building which I have the ability do erect slowly

Where as raising it I have no excavation, the forming I would build into my raising stilts and just the materials for the two foot rise in the sheeting and the new door which I need either way.
Six one way and a half a dozen the other either way I don't end up with what I want.

As far as sea cans, no way I don't see the appeal of them and I have no room to do that build correctly.
As in they would need to be stacked double high to get the clearance I want so that would be 16 grand in just containers, then add special cut rafters and you still don't have either end wall or a door. Yes you get dry storage on both ends and could build an office in one but I'm also loosing sixteen feet of floor space on each side. I just don't see the appeal of them

Old 05-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Garage

It was $120 for a steel beam for my stilts to raise it. Wood for the forms, new sill, and studs could get kinda pricy. And the concrete probably in the 5 grand range

Vs

The demo, the rent 100$ / month, the prep and concrete who knows? And the building around this size is max http://m.ebay.com/itm/141674329186?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 AM
Currently: Not set.
Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,285 Posts
BLITZKRIEG has disabled reputation

Find a recently divorced rich cougar that took the house and husbands shop.
Move in, be her cabana boy, take over her ex husbands shop!

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BLITZKRIEG For This Useful Post:
allied1 (05-28-2015), HawkShot99 (05-28-2015), Himark (07-21-2015), joshkoltes (05-28-2015), kbl6z (08-10-2015), Marty UT (11-05-2016), NorthMNSledder (06-02-2015), rmk8000 (05-29-2015), Ryan-41 (09-22-2015), Scott (05-28-2015), slash (11-06-2015), sledheader (05-29-2015), smwizzz (05-30-2015), T-Bone (02-09-2016)
Old 05-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Currently: ACTIVELY defend your right to ride.
Polaris & Montana Moderator
Thanked 8,307 Times in 4,786 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Put a urinal in it.

Dolley and channel on the ceiling with a hoist to put your sleds on the loft for the summer.

Dog door for the indoor kennel.

Make it bigger than you want...and then add 20' out the back. Then add one more stall.

NEVER smaller than 10' wide doors.

Slant the floor for a drainage. OR put in a floor drain.

Ambassador for:
FB & IG: Scott Stiegler

Check out these cool products:

Old 05-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Garage

Well I just measure my use able space and it looks like the max I could build new is a 30 to 40 wide x 35 long maximum if I did 40 wide I wouldn't be able to get around it with a vehicle

If I stick with what I have this is what I need to deal with

Last edited by joshkoltes; 05-28-2015 at 05:54 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 05-29-2015, 04:53 AM
Currently: Trump is a troll
Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,821 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

I see a dump truck in the back ground.
That truck is your friend, put it to work.
Your floor space is more valuable than the clutter that you are working around.

Member of South Dakota Snowmobile Assn.

Support the sport you love, join a club & get involved!

Remember, Pig & Elephant DNA just don't splice

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mafesto For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (10-16-2015), Dirty Steve (08-09-2015), Himark (07-21-2015), Scott (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Currently: ahhh back to work
Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
slash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

dozer time start over mtl building , you don't need to drive around it just build it in the corner .

09 IQ
KMOD
RAPTORS
2.5 CE
MOHAWKS
SLP PIPE
KOOLME KUSTOMS 660 KIT
TATERSPORTING PORTWORK

[IMG]//www.snowest.com//www.snowest.com/i/snowest-forum-logo.jpg[/IMG]

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 05-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,130 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 05-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 05-30-2015, 02:27 PM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,130 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 05-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 05-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Currently: Trump is a troll
Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,821 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Mafesto For This Useful Post:
togwotee9 (12-23-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 05-31-2015, 10:21 PM
Currently: currently looking for work to support my habit
bholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to bholmlate For This Useful Post:
joshkoltes (06-01-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 01:05 AM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 AM
Currently: currently looking for work to support my habit
bholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bholmlate For This Useful Post:
BLITZKRIEG (06-02-2015), joshkoltes (06-03-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to joshkoltes For This Useful Post:
BLITZKRIEG (06-19-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 07-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to joshkoltes For This Useful Post:
pt379 (03-15-2016)
Old 07-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Currently: Need some steak for my beans and rice
Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,743 Posts
05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 08-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register