For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Currently: CONTEMPLATING: "Laughter is gods hand on a troubled world.".
Thanked 9,561 Times in 4,236 Posts
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute
Question NEED INPUT FROM THE RAM-TRUCK PEOPLE.... BEST AUTOMATIC LOW MAINT DIESEL.

I'm a Chevy guy... but trying to help a friend that lives in Hawaii buy a good diesel truck and will ship to her.

Hawaii has a lot of beaters and not much selection.

Looking for input on what year/model/option-spec is the best in a used RAM diesel. (cummins 5.9)

Needs to be an auto trans... so the manuals are out for sure.

From a reliability standpoint... and WHEN the truck needs work... what are the best years and spec? One that most decent mechanics can work on... that will hold up and is not known to be problematic.... and not crazy expensive when service time comes.

I will be doing all required maint before the truck ships as needed... brakes, tires, fluid changes/flushes.

The truck will be kept stock... no add on tuners, no lift kits etc... if there are some add-ons in the aftermarket that are really needed... and reliable, non-hotrod, parts... thats fine.

Lots of trucks out there to choose from, and I'll be doing due-dillegence once the target-year/model is chosen.

MUST be the Cummins/4x4/Auto.... Extended/Crew... Long bed.
And not so rare that I won't be able to find one.

Please help me keep this thread on-point and relevant.

Thank you in advance... much appreciate the input!!

Signature:

WANT TO BUY:
Good to excellent 162 x 15" x 3" Camoplast X3 track.
Please PM me if you have one to sell, with photo, price and location
... must be willing to properly roll/strap... and ship. Thanks in advance.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 AM
Currently: Working on the new/Old School Tow Rig.
Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,025 Posts
turbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Things to look for on each of the Cummins model trucks.
93 - 97 2nd Gen trucks the mighty P-Pumped 12 valve. Most sought after motor. And the 5 speed manual is like buying gold. The 47rh then later 47 RE trans are alright at stock power levels but torque converters, clutches and input shafts fail with regularity at almost any added power levels.
98.5 - 02 24 valve motors with the vp44 injection pump. Still the same issues with the 47RE trans (you’ll find this issue with most trucks with any power adders, the trans is the weak link and WILL NEED TO BE UPGRADED )
Another issue with the VP 44 injection pumps is that the electronics are cooled by fuel flowing throw the pump. A weak lift pump will destroy the brain in a vp44 in short order. A dead lift pump is almost a certain death knell for them. (Hence the popularity of aftermarket Airdog and Fass lift pumps)
03-07 5.9 24 valve common rail. This is where you can make some real power. The 48RE is still the weak link.(torque converter, clutches and input/output shafts) (Do Not tow without the trans in tow/haul mode!! You can almost guarantee rebuilding due to over drive being destroyed)
The CP3 pump is a good reliable pump and very few issues. Use good clean fuel and keep it clean. A Baldwin BF7977 filter is cheaper than the OEM filter and far exceeds the micron rating. Dirty fuel can hang an injector open and you will wash a cylinder down and destroy that cylinder. Can’t stress this enough.
07.5 - 12 6.7 Cummins motors blue tech ( no DEF)
13 + 6.7 Cummins (DEF)

Up to I think it was 99 they used Dana 60 front axles and a hybrid Dana 70/80 rear. All of these axles use a unit bearing knuckle. Ball joints are an issue with all of these years as the weight of the motor causes them to wear prematurely compared to similar use in gas powered trucks.
00 - 01 they switched to AAM (American Axle) still use a unit bearing knuckle and a central axle disconnect to engage 4wd.

I can go Into more detail you need it.

14 800 Pro RMK 163
09 600 RMK 156

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turbolover For This Useful Post:
hamlin (03-04-2019), mountainhorse (03-04-2019), NO IQ (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:29 PM
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you buddy !!

Definitely sticking with stock configuration and power levels.

Signature:

WANT TO BUY:

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-04-2019, 04:34 PM

I remember someone talking about a 2004.5 or something like that as being a good choice... or some ".5" year ???

Signature:

WANT TO BUY:

Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Currently: Not set.
ryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhorse View Post
I remember someone talking about a 2004.5 or something like that as being a good choice... or some ".5" year ???

I owned a 04.5 quad cab. It has the 325/600 Cummins in it. I sold it with 285000 miles on it several years ago.

I did a couple things to increase the longevity of it. I used 3 micron fuel filters.
I also did a Amsoil remote oil filter that had a 3 micron rating.

The Transmission was the weak link even in stock form. Use the Tow/Haul button "or as it really is an overdrive lock out"

I ran Schaeffer’s oil in motor, diff's, transfer case and transmission and changed the oil every 10k miles and had oil samples tested with every oil change.

I learned that the 4.5 motor was internal EGR, which I understood was an additional injection event for some reason. That is why I used the additional 3 micron oil filter. I also did not have injector issues, and I believe fully it was related to using 3 micron fuel filters, always.
For the first 36k miles it was stock, then I changed a couple things to make it tow better.

I added a modified CP3, some Exergy injectors, ARP head studs, Modified fuel rail, FASS fuel system, 6.7 harmonic balancer, Compound Turbo's, fully built transmission with torque converter lockup control, some stiffer valve springs, and I am sure there was more but I cannot remember it all.

It ended up being 711hp and 1300 something lb.’s of torque on a wheel dyno.

Had that setup for 200k miles, and that truck did not have an easy life it. I towed stuff I should not have at speeds that I should have known better.

I guess the moral of the story is with the proper maintenance, and care the Cummins motor will take a hell of a lot of abuse.

Here is a link for the internal EGR

Last edited by ryanjeri; 03-05-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: adding a link for internal EGR

The Following User Says Thank You to ryanjeri For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:37 PM
turbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond reputeturbolover has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhorse View Post

The motors really arenít the issue with any of these trucks. The motors are fantastic and easy to work on. The dodge components around it... ie transmission, lift pump, ball joints, central axle disconnect, that is what you have to look out for. The actual motor is very seldom the problem, itís the stuff around it that causes issues with the motor or truck itself.

14 800 Pro RMK 163
09 600 RMK 156

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turbolover For This Useful Post:
IcutMetl (05-23-2019), justinkredible56 (03-14-2019), mountainhorse (03-05-2019), NO IQ (03-05-2019), ryanjeri (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 PM

So... all that being said....

What 2000 -2010 has the best trans Automatic (only) especially... and other maint factors included?

If kept stock (tire-size, engine, trans etc)

Will be used for pulling a kubota tractor often.

How weak are the Dodge Auto Transmissions??\

I really need to narrow this down quickly and start looking for 'that' truck

Signature:

WANT TO BUY:

Old 03-05-2019, 09:58 PM
Basic Member
sportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond reputesportfire has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the cummins forum. I like manuals so I'll let others chime in.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/index.php

The Following User Says Thank You to sportfire For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:31 PM
Garage

I believe that 98.5 - 2002 will have the 47 re trans - OD lockout only

These are the years I would look for, The 2003 - 2007 will have the 48 RE trans - OD lockout and Tow/Haul Mode. More specifically an 06 or 07.
These years are all 5.9 motors. In stock form the trans will hold fairly well if you remember to use tow/haul and be nice to it. No drag racing with the trailer, if it down shifts on a hill - pull the shifter down there and hold it and slow down.

I had an 07 5.9 that got fantastic fuel mileage. It would pull a fully loaded 30 car trailer up just about anything at about 60. I could go faster but didnít like to wind it up that much. When it would drop out of OD about 60 Iíd kick OD off leave it in direct and just keep going up the hill at that speed.

I upgraded trucks to a 14 6.7. I certainly has more power but no where near the fuel mileage.

The 2007.5 - 12 trucks are 6.7. They didnít have DEF but the tuning absolutely sucked for fuel mileage. Tuners, exhaust and intakes didnít seem to help them much either.

14 800 Pro RMK 163
09 600 RMK 156

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbolover For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (03-06-2019), ryanjeri (03-06-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ800 For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (05-02-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 AM
Currently: I have reached the limit of my Free Basic Member reading privileges.
whitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond reputewhitefish has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to whitefish For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Currently: Still Riding...
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big10inch For This Useful Post:
hamlin (03-15-2019), mountainhorse (05-02-2019), turbolover (03-20-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Currently: rigging instad of riding
0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute0neoldfart has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to 0neoldfart For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 AM
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to turbolover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Currently: Still Riding...
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big10inch For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (05-02-2019), turbolover (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Currently: Waiting for snow
Evanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond reputeEvanbcx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Evanbcx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Currently: sourceinnovations.ca
Teth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teth-Air For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (05-02-2019), turbolover (05-01-2019)