For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: 2-stroke Includes all Yamaha 2-strokes, Viper, Mountain Max, etc

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Currently: Living life to its fullest
Basic Member
Boisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Phazers Down

A little back story. I was given 2 1995 Phazer II ST sleds about 2 years ago. Previous owner took great care of them but passed away. One of the sleds was built by Bender Racing with ported cylinders, different carbs and both sled have Bender pipes. While I am not new to powersports I am new to sleds. Last year while riding I burnt the piston on one sled and the Bender sled lost a wristpin clip and destroyed the cylinder. I replaced the bad cylinder on the Bender sled and was able to ride some more. The other sled stayed down because I believe it has a bad crank seal and the oil injector pump gear is shot(was running premix). This past weekend while out riding the Bender sled died. After a quick teardown I find that the lower rod bearing on the replaced cylinder is shot.
So here I am with 2 great looking, well maintained Phazers, that do not run. I am not sure I have the will to rebuild both engines. I need someone to really convince me that it is worth it to rebuild them, or even one for that matter. I have also recently run into an opportunity to buy Arctic Cat T660(non-turbo) sleds for $500 a piece. They are touring sleds used by an adventure company and were meticulously maintained. I bought 1 and rode it last week. It is no powder machine but it ran great. It even towed the phazer, myself and 4 kids about 3 miles back to the truck on Saturday without any hesitation or a burnt belt. I am considering picking up 2 more and just have fun with the kids.
Please help me decide. Either part out both Phazers or do major engine work like crank rebuild, cylinder boring, case reseal, etc. I am not sure even where to start or who can help me on the technical stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	281845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	281846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	281847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	281848  

Last edited by Boisebiker; 02-28-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Basic Member
Boisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond reputeBoisebiker has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my decision will stem around $$$. Are the sled worth more in parts that as running machines? What will it cost to have someone rebuild the crank? Is there a machine shop out there that is not charging an arm and leg to bore a cylinder?
And also how do I figure out why they both went down? Was it something I did or just bum luck? Sleds are being used in same location as original owner so jetting/clutch should not need changing.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Currently: Dreaming of hunting
Basic Member
K3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebiker View Post
Most of my decision will stem around $$$. Are the sled worth more in parts that as running machines? What will it cost to have someone rebuild the crank? Is there a machine shop out there that is not charging an arm and leg to bore a cylinder?
And also how do I figure out why they both went down? Was it something I did or just bum luck? Sleds are being used in same location as original owner so jetting/clutch should not need changing.
I would try to fix, or buy a parts sled w/low 2K mi. or less motor @ $4 or $500 and hope to get 6K or 7K miles before boring out!!! Can not beat a GOOD old phazer IMO !!!! Hope this helps . l<>l

Old 03-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Currently: Not set.
AMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond reputeAMAX has a reputation beyond repute

Good sleds but hard to justify spending too much on them. I see decent ones going for $500 - $900.

The two options for me would be sell them as is or as K3 suggested keep an eye out for a sleds with a donor motor. I don't have one but while researching old Yamaha stuff for my kids Ovation, there is a ton of info on Phazers on the net. They sold a bunch of these and a lot of guys have been keeping them going

Old 03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Currently: 2014 Viper MTX conversion
stingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond reputestingray719 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a beat up Phazer for the engine and put in BUT LOSE THE PIPES! Phazer ran forever stock but once you get to modding them they go boom. Old Ventures had that engine also. My brother may have parts for you and lives in southern Idaho I will message you his number

Old 03-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Basic Member

Thanks for the replies. I want to keep them running because they are fun to throw around and can get me anywhere I want to go. It is just hard to drop $4-500 into a sled than will never be worth $1000. That is why I do most of my own work to keep maintenance costs down. I am pretty sure I can not do the crank job this one will need. I am contemplating tearing both down and built up 1 runner. New gaskets and seals, best pieces of both sleds and keep the other as a parts machine. I do need help deciding what parts are the best. Stock or upgraded carbs?

Old 03-03-2017, 04:06 PM
Currently: sourceinnovations.ca
Teth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond repute

If the phazers are down all we got left is the force field!

http://www.sourceinnovations.ca

We also have TKI Belt Drives, Arm Candy A-Arm Braces, Oil Tank Inserts, Reversible Scratchers, Polaris Suspension Couplers, Track Clips, Clutching and more.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Currently: sourceinnovations.ca
Teth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond repute

If the phasers are down all we got left is the force field!, Better call Star Fleet!

http://www.sourceinnovations.ca

We also have TKI Belt Drives, Arm Candy A-Arm Braces, Oil Tank Inserts, Reversible Scratchers, Polaris Suspension Couplers, Track Clips, Clutching and more.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to Teth-Air For This Useful Post:
K3 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 05:52 AM
Currently: Yamaha 4 stroke moderator
MODERATOR: Premium Member
motojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

If it only runs you about 500 to get them running, I'd go for it! Those sleds are great, I've been kinda keeping an eye out for one to get my son since he has outgrown his 120.

Back in the day those mod phasers were more fun than you could shake a stick at. Long track 144", custom tunnel extensions...

If you do decide to get rid of them though, let me know as I live just over the pass from you.
Bad decisions make good stories

2015 Yamaha Viper 162 SE/MPI turbo

Elk season 2018

Old 03-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Basic Member
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 AM
motojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond reputemotojunkie101 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 04-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Currently: Early Winrter!
eddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 11-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 11-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Currently: Waiting for winter
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register