• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019?

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
All very good points. A nice set of pro boards would be good. Remove that tail light fix that snow flap and upgrade the steering so it stops getting sloppy I had doo but man that steering stays nice and tight forever and it feels light.

Cat are you listening?

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
IMHO Cat will never change the running boards much because as is they are just stamped out as part of the tunnel. No way will they put running boards on that some people want because it adds way to much into production costs adding another entire process/step. You can get them cheaper aftermarket than you could stock from Cat and they know that so they will keep the price down let those that don’t like the boards swap them out on their own.

Now a belt drive is another thing all together because those are parts that are assembled onto the sled already so putting a belt drive instead of a chain on really doesn’t add cost. I bet they would have to rethink the oil bottle though because I don’t ever see a factory selling a new sled with only a 2 quart oil bottle. To much of a liability running out of oil for those that out a lot of miles on in a day.

I just wish we had snow so I could enjoy my 18 instead of thinking about a 19.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
IMHO Cat will never change the running boards much because as is they are just stamped out as part of the tunnel. No way will they put running boards on that some people want because it adds way to much into production costs adding another entire process/step. You can get them cheaper aftermarket than you could stock from Cat and they know that so they will keep the price down let those that don’t like the boards swap them out on their own.

Now a belt drive is another thing all together because those are parts that are assembled onto the sled already so putting a belt drive instead of a chain on really doesn’t add cost. I bet they would have to rethink the oil bottle though because I don’t ever see a factory selling a new sled with only a 2 quart oil bottle. To much of a liability running out of oil for those that out a lot of miles on in a day.

I just wish we had snow so I could enjoy my 18 instead of thinking about a 19.
They are already building the boards, just be a matter of some rivets. Would save the consumer alot of cutting and hassle. No one likes chopping their brand new sleds up.

A few little things like boards, belt drive, and less parts/a more minimalist design(bars/taillight and flap, etc) would help them sell a ton of sleds. They really need to build these sleds with the idea of eliminating the aftermarket scene. The new cats work great but there is still alot left on the table with them. They need to changes these things now, and start selling sleds NOW not over the course of the next 3 years.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

You mean like from this

s-l1600.jpg

To this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah I doubt a sled company would do that. ;)

No they're not tube boards but I probably wouldn't change them out if cat did something similar. It would be nice as mentioned to not think "okay overpriced toy PLUS an additional 400-500 bucks to replace the pinner bendy stock boards".

Last edited:

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
-Better running boards
-Different bars, cleaner/less bulky controls on the bars

^^both of those haven't been changed in 10 years and are long overdue for an update in my opinion. Hopping on a friend's mountain cat and seeing the same boards and bars as my old M series (my two most annoying features about that sled) really was disappointing.

-snowflap that isn't 1/2" thick lol

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
-Better running boards
-Different bars, cleaner/less bulky controls on the bars

^^both of those haven't been changed in 10 years and are long overdue for an update in my opinion. Hopping on a friend's mountain cat and seeing the same boards and bars as my old M series (my two most annoying features about that sled) really was disappointing.

-snowflap that isn't 1/2" thick lol

I agree, new boards would be good. The Proclimb/Ascender boards evacuate snow far better than the m-series...not even comparable.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Other than tube boards rigidness or narrowing up, i don't see a reason to replace the boards.
My boards always have the least amount of snow buildup in my group. Doo's , Pro's stock and tube boards.

Maybe different environment would net different results but i cant see it affecting Cats more than Doo or Poo so cat would still be the cleanest..

Different controls on the bars would be nice.

Mountain Cat

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I don't have any personal experience with the coated tunnels but my M packed really bad, obviously the powdercoat helps with that but the coastal snow seems to pack on anything. I don't understand why cat doesn't change their boards, polaris and skidoo opened theirs up, why doesn't cat?

Hopefully next year I'll be able to swing a mountain cat, but there's a few things I'd change before riding.

First thing I'd do is cut the flap off cause its a useless pain in the butt

Second is T-top post and probably cfr bars, relocate the switches to the console. After riding pro-tapers for a bit it'd be hard to go back to the arctic cat bars. I don't miss the 8" long brake lever and huge bulky switches all over on my poo.

And of course the tube boards. Although taking a grinding wheel to a new sled would be painful.

just my 2 cents!

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
A "shot" style system can be easily put on any snowmobile. But I think only form the factory as it will need programming control over the computer and some motor positioning sensors. The Doo system will slowly tun the motor up to 1/3 of a rotation to top dead centre and then fire the cylinder to start the motor. Thats why sometimes when you hit the button it fires right up and sometimes it takes like 3-4 seconds.
Now that being said, until the actual info on how Doo is manipulating the magneto, well never know. But that doesn't mean the rest (Poo,Cat) can't make one them selves. The tech is not new at all. Just new to sleds. Plus Ucaps are relatively cheap.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
As far as I know they just backfeed stored power from the capacitor bank and turn the stator into an electro magnet, you would need some logics with it too I’m sure to aid things, so this would mean reprogram ecu’s new ecu’s or stand alone brain box. Shouldn’t be hard for other brands to do this as from what I know this isn’t new tech just newly applied to the snowmobile world

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Reading more about it the ECU converts the AC output of the stator into DC power to charge the capacitor. When the SHOT starter is used, its Vice Versa. A "Non-shot" machine cannot be converted to one without huge costs, you either get a SHOT sled or you don't. 600$ added build charge.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
2019 wishlist would be belt drive, new running boards, new bar controls, lighter track, lighter hood, and the tank that was suppose to come on the 2018.

I am actually shocked how much lighter the hood is on the 18 vs previous years. I didn't weigh it but noticeably lighter when handling it. A lot of the weight still has to be in the headlight assembly. Not sure how much more weight they can pull out of it.

And yes, finally cudos to Cat for making the tether an easy 15 minute install vs an hour plus. Only thing they could do now is provide it factory installed - should be mandatory by all manufacturers from a safety standpoint.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Anybody else get this email?

The design team for Arctic Cat snowmobiles is asking for your help and input into the next generation of award-winning Arctic Cat snowmobiles. We are reaching out to you as an Arctic Cat snowmobile enthusiast hoping you could provide some feedback related to the way you ride and interact with the products we design. Your answers will be used to improve the products and service we provide.

Our survey is electronic, so to complete it, click on the following link:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4054647/ARCTIC-CAT-SNOWMOBILE-DESIGN-SURVEY

Last edited:
R
Feb 26, 2008
The technology to use the magneto to start a machine is literally 50 years old. Suzuki and Yamaha dirtbikes had this in the late 60s/ early 70s.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Anybody else get this email?

The design team for Arctic Cat snowmobiles is asking for your help and input into the next generation of award-winning Arctic Cat snowmobiles. We are reaching out to you as an Arctic Cat snowmobile enthusiast hoping you could provide some feedback related to the way you ride and interact with the products we design. Your answers will be used to improve the products and service we provide.

Our survey is electronic, so to complete it, click on the following link:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4054647/ARCTIC-CAT-SNOWMOBILE-DESIGN-SURVEY

No, not this one, but just completed it thanks to your link. Got one with questions RE: use/wants of electronic GPS riding Apps. Maybe Textron is waking-up the marketing & design department @ AC??

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
They must be farming a few different themes.

As you saw the one I got was all about styling and looks it seemed.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Track lengths?
174 or longer....
Different pitch coming?
153 is the only cat lenght.

How interested r u in factory turbo?
Color options, wraps?