• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: All new SWAPMEET section.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
SnoWest Forum Members:

For the last several weeks we have been working on a new module to completely overhaul and upgrade the SnoWest Forums. I am happy to announce that this new part of SnoWest is now ready for public testing.

If you will look on your main menu bar, you will find a new listing "Swapmeet". When you click on this 6 new options will appear.

Main Page
List All Ads
Place an Ad
Search Ads
My Watch List
Subscriptions
My Ads

From now till Friday October 16th the SwapMeet will be in TESTING MODE. That means you welcome and invited to place TEST ADS in the forum to learn how the system works and help us debug the new software. If all goes well, On Friday the 16th ALL ADS WILL BE DELETED and the system will go live. When that happens we will begin a gradual phase out of the old Swapmeet forum over the course of a few weeks.

So, I invite you to go take a look at the newest section of SnoWest, and then to come back to this tread and post your comments.

If you find something that doesn't work properly, Please Report It.

If you have a constructive suggestion of how we might make it work better, Please Post it. Our goal is to create a more dynamic and useful Swapmeet section for all our SnoWest Members.

=====

The feature lists below are detailed but not completely comprehensive. Some features exist that are not mentioned here.

Classified Ad Templates

• Categories can use provided templates for Classifieds For Sale, Wanted.
  • New templates easily added
  • Additional custom fields per category
  • Extensive customization of categories for look and feel

User Features

• NEW! Sellers can place classified ads for fixed prices or with optional eBay style bidding enabled
  • Sellers can upload several photos to display with each classified ad
  • Sellers can set an expiration date for each ad
  • SOLD IT! and RELIST IT! options to disable/re-enable ads
  • NEW! User feedback system to provide ratings and feedback for buyers and sellers
  • Contact seller page allows buyers to contact sellers without revealing seller email address
  • Search by keyword

Registration System Features

• Integrates with third-party forums; including vB2, vB3, UBB Threads, phpBB2, InvisionBoard, Nuke/PostNuke, DCFroums+, SMF, Ikon and PhotoPost/ReviewPost
  • Supports user groups and admin editing of user groups to enable specific permissions for different users
  • User profiles
  • Encrypted passwords
  • Supports COPPA (can be disabled)
  • Auto verify user email address
  • Admin editing of user levels and profiles
  • Ban users
  • Allow/disallow new user registrations.
  • Allow users to change passwords.
  • An automated "I Forgot my password" feature.

Other Features

• MySQL database driven
  • Can integrate with vbPortal
  • Multi-language support via template files. English provided.
  • ZLIB compression support to speed page loading, reduce bandwidth
  • Option to require users be registered to view ads
  • UBB/VB Code (linkify, bold, etc) for ad descriptions
  • Traffic tested on sites with over 3M monthly page views
  • Dynamic titles for pages to improve search engine indexing
  • Help system. Popup windows with help topics.
  • Configurable date formats and time offsets per user
  • GD2 support for image resizing, watermarks and on-the-fly watermarks (or use ImageMagick for all but on-the-fly)
  • ImageMagick support for image resizing and watermarks (or use GD2)
  • Supports JPG, GIF, PNG, and TIF file formats for ad images when using ImageMagick, or JPG, GIF and PNG formats when using GD2
  • Automatic thumbnail creation of ad images
  • Thumbnail display pages show details for each ad such as number of views and date posted.
  • Product images stored on disk in a directory rather than in the database, which allows them to be cached by browsers, saving bandwidth.
  • Number of ads limited only by your server's diskspace (for images) and MySQL's record limits
  • IP caching
  • prevents multiple views in a configurable timeframe
  • Known to work on RaQ 3/4 systems

M

MN_Nole

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Big Lake, MN
emails

How come PM's from the admin get sent to my email but not when PM's from members that I have contacted and look for response don't.

I appreciate all the work you have done to and for the forums, but I hope this is something you can fix. I just dislike updates to my mobile that say you have a PM when its only a admin notification for changes to the 4m.
Thanks.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
How come PM's from the admin get sent to my email but not when PM's from members that I have contacted and look for response don't.

I appreciate all the work you have done to and for the forums, but I hope this is something you can fix. I just dislike updates to my mobile that say you have a PM when its only a admin notification for changes to the 4m.
Thanks.

in forum options under usercp, there is an option to select email notification of pm's from peeps:beer;

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Nice update for swapmeet:D

Now the little things,

Dial-up beware? If they load all the possible pics.

Listing a ad, I would make it 4 steps by categorizing it in a step. then itemize.
I see a lot of newbs putting parts in the sled listings, I almost didn't scroll down.

Shipping, You have to list a price or it posts NONE, for most of the stuff sold here we either list it shipping included or depends on your location.

Shipping, a section for if your willing to ship to Canada or US or to Foreign soil .

You can only ad a Photo Bucket pic in the description?

Location Required, nice addition, but I can put timbuktoo in there and it accepts it.

Buy it now/pay now, automatically put quantity at 6

Item description default is Excellent?

KSH

Last edited:

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
IMO if I wanted to buy and sell on ebay, then I would. The swapmeet didn't need a complete overhaul, just a little tweak here and there.

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
Tried listing a wanted to buy item, would not let me past the 2nd stage, the drop box was empty with no options. since i could not make a selection it kept looping back.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
On the length of time remove the " no expiration " . It should be a 30 day max. add only. If people don't sell it in 30 days they can always use the relist option.
I TOTALLY AGREE on removing no expiration. We need to limit this. Maybe 45 to 60 days max.

I think this is a nice change albeit a bit rough around the edges compared to modern auction sites. The categories will need some work. adding a listing and using the drop down is goig to result in a lot of stuff in the wrong place. The old swap sucked huge, so this is already a lot better.

I would like to see brand specific parts. I have no interrest in Polaris, ski-doo, and Yamaha parts. The sellers are going to get better exposure by being more specific on brand/model and than by being more specific on actual part type. If you have an M series, you might buy extra parts you are not specifically looking for but happened upon in the swap, but not if it is for a different brand/model.

We for sure need to allow classified type ads, or auctions.

G

geetz-123

Aug 11, 2009
Ely MN
Ebay Vs Snowest Forum How will the fee structure compare?

Love the concept.........Paypal offers great security.........But esculating fees for both Ebay and Paypal will be a deterent or a advantage to Snowest Swapmeet...........hopefully your fee structure will be competitive and stable.......You could give Ebay a run for their money........Nice Job keep on improving........Really enjoy the privilege of using Snowest......Thankyou!! Gary

S
I like the potential here.

• I can see the "no expiration" ads being good for advertisers to the site. Free ads ought to have an expiration of say 90 days.
  • Quantity option seems useless?
  • The text editor for the item description (TinyMCE) in default form like that is a huge mess of buttons. Most of which aren't needed. I'd suggest making it as close to the normal forum layout as possible, just to keep things simple.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Nice update for swapmeet:D

Now the little things,

Dial-up beware? If they load all the possible pics.

Listing a ad, I would make it 4 steps by categorizing it in a step. then itemize.
I see a lot of newbs putting parts in the sled listings, I almost didn't scroll down.

Shipping, You have to list a price or it posts NONE, for most of the stuff sold here we either list it shipping included or depends on your location.

Shipping, a section for if your willing to ship to Canada or US or to Foreign soil .

You can only ad a Photo Bucket pic in the description?

Location Required, nice addition, but I can put timbuktoo in there and it accepts it.

Buy it now/pay now, automatically put quantity at 6

Item description default is Excellent?

KSH

i agree with all this especially the shipping has to be an option for calculation or contact for shipping.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I like the potential here.

• I can see the "no expiration" ads being good for advertisers to the site. Free ads ought to have an expiration of say 90 days.
  • Quantity option seems useless?
  • The text editor for the item description (TinyMCE) in default form like that is a huge mess of buttons. Most of which aren't needed. I'd suggest making it as close to the normal forum layout as possible, just to keep things simple.

i second all of this also

Premium Features