• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

STATOR CONNECTOR: QUESTION FOR THE POL-TECHS.... AND THOSE "IN THE KNOW"

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
On the Axys (and ProRide) does the stator connector have any function that is tested by directly plugging into the stator connector on either side.... Does Digital-Wrench plug into the harness DIRECTLY at the stator connector for any reason?

I'm wondering if there is any reason, from the service end of things, not to change the stator connector on a sled that has this burnt/melted and is out of warranty?

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
On the Axys (and ProRide) does the stator connector have any function that is tested by directly plugging into the stator connector on either side.... Does Digital-Wrench plug into the harness DIRECTLY at the stator connector for any reason?

I'm wondering if there is any reason, from the service end of things, not to change the stator connector on a sled that has this burnt/melted and is out of warranty

No, not to date.

Edit:
I would change it out to a better connector.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My VR and stator were replaced because of the slightly melted pigtail harness over by the air box.

I'm not answering your question, more like I'm sharing your question.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
FYI mine is in the shop right now for the melted connector. Polaris believes the stator put out too much and melted the wiring and they said the VR is cooked too. They are replacing the stator, wiring harness and VR. There were no codes visible.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Poor beancounter decisions IMO

Eric,
A better connector is in order for sure. But wondering what the underlying factor could be. Could a fix be as simple as stacking VRs?

I think that the connector has too much resistance in it... just like the bikes that melt that connector all the time.

Bare brass Yazaki knockoffs of Packard-56 terminals...CMON Polaris (Medina) !!
Add moisture and vibration... FAIL!!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Metripack 630

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/Metri-Pack/metri-pack.html

https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/Delphi_Metri_Pack_630_Series_Section.pdf

630 Metri-Pack Features

Available in device and in-line connections for underhood vehicle
applications, Metri-Pack 630 Series sealed connectors can meet or exceed the
requirements for most marine, appliance, and industrial control applications.
Utilizing triple-rib peripheral silicone rubber seals, Metri-Pack 630 Series sealed
systems are ideally suited for high current applications that require protection from
environmental hazards.

Metri-Pack Series
• Connector Position Assurance (CPA)
• Terminal Position Assurance (TPA)
• 46 Amps continuous maximum current rating
• Low energy, low voltage capability
• Excellent resistance to temperature, chemicals and abrasion
• -40ºC to 125ºC temperature range

mp630-2p_1653.jpg

Last edited:

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Just checked mine and it's melted also. Took it to dealer to take pictures and start a warranty claim. Leaving for Wyoming so I doubt that I will have parts by then, just going to cut the connector, solder and heat shrink the wires. These connectors start terminal fretting because of the vibrations and then add the fact that they are not sealed creates a big problem for us the consumer. I'm glad that I checked mine :)

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
So where do I find this connector to check and possibly replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
My stock connectors were melted as shown in a different post. I replaced them with these connectors MH has posted. They only come as 2 terminal connector so you need to use 2 of them. I have about 500 miles so far on them and when I last checked they were fine.
You need the proper crimp tool to install them, but I have one so that wasn’t a problem.
They were easy to get MH has a link in his post, the guy is a private seller in NJ.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
lots of suppliers out there.

Make sure to mark the wires well, as there are 3 yellows...

Then, When you use the two connectors... you can flip/flop the orientation so that you can only connect them in the correct way.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The correct crimp tool is best for sure.... and if you are careful, you can do them with standard/generic crimp tool... I also use a drop of solder on each for good measure.

Note, the wire has to go through the connector housing BEFORE you crimp on the FEMALE terminal (the side with the short housing).

Good idea to buy a few extra terminals M/F when you purchase, in case you mess up. The terminals are inexpensive.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
14 gauge...

The MetriPack 630 series (not the 280)

And soldered after crimp for good measure...
Also put a dab of dielectric on the wire seals to seal better with the fabric covered wire of the stator.

BTW... With the MP-630's .... put male housing and female housing on the harness side... matching for the stator side...so you don't get them confused in the hookup and and can only connect correctly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I am wondering why this is happening on some sleds and not others. Is this related to the LE models? I just checked mine (2016 non-LE) and the connector looks perfect - shows no signs of getting hot. I expected to see something after seeing other photos on here.

Premium Features