• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding tip suggestions: Going from the M-Series Chassis to the 2018 Ascender chassis

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Feedback

Thanks! Maybe I'll give that a try.
I do not discount the advice on skid relocation as the R&D Test riders work in my backyard here in SW MT; It's just that, it is the first & only time that I heard such a change. I will follow up with my connections. When you try the relocation, please let us all know your impressions. Thanks:face-icon-small-coo

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Have you checked/ adjusted the shock pressures? Ski shocks with too much pressure or a skid not set right will cause the same issue. The shock setup on these sleds are critical. Remember to always adjust the pressure at ambient temperature and with no load.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Again, this is your best advise, and adjust shock pressures, shock pressure and foot position

The best advice I could give you to make the switch is keep your feet on each side. No need to get on one side anymore. If you do you will end up pulling it over on yourself. Also keep your feet way further forward than you would on your M. Just like everyone else has said also...get some grippers. My first ride back in 2012 on my first Proclimb I felt like a fish out of water after years on an M. After about 2 rides though I never wanted to ever have to ride an M again. The 2012 was terrible compared to the 18 too. Just give it a couple rides and you will be amazed how you ever rode your m for so long.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Have you checked/ adjusted the shock pressures? Ski shocks with too much pressure or a skid not set right will cause the same issue. The shock setup on these sleds are critical. Remember to always adjust the pressure at ambient temperature and with no load.

My current shock set-up (main/evol) FSS 50/85, FTS 50/95, RTS 110/145. Rider weight 175 lbs. without gear, so maybe 200 suited up. Any suggestions? Thanks

F
Feb 4, 2008
ND
I have the '18 ES version with the coil over front shocks. I had the same issue initially with it diving so backed off the springs and it helps. So I'd agree you need to let air out of the shocks for the same effect.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Yup Stack, I'm in the same boat. Came off a M-series and now have an '18 Snow Check 162.

I'm 48, very experienced, aggressive rider and I'm not comfortable yet on this sled as well. I too have a 5.5" riser delivering today. Shock set up is crucial and with the low snow conditions we've experienced here in Colorado and southern Wyo, I just haven't felt comfortable pushing the sled yet.

Great advise above. I too will stand tighter in the "stirrups" and get out and tear some donuts!

Sled is awesome. I know it's just me that is the problem.

Q

Figured I should update,

I went out last weekend with the updated pressures mentioned above. Primarily less pressure in the front an rear shock, running #2 on the trail and #1 in the bush. I rode most in deep touched logging roads and a few easy climbs, but the point was to get more comfort with the sled. I will say that has had a lot of smiles! Changed my riding position and have challenged myself to not do those things like I did on my old "M" that lead to the diving. Its coming together, and this things is really fun with sidehilling too....practicing that as well. I still to had contend with a bit of the diving, but its kinda specific to situations, and mostly at slow speed for me. Once I get a bit more comfortable I'll get into the tight tree climbing that we have up here. My Front Shock on the rear skid is the standard coil over, so my setup is unique as my other shocks are the Mountain Cat QS3's. I might update that to the QS3 or look at adjusting the spring to see how it reacts. Note; I also added the 5.5 riser which was a but more comfortable to me, only added an inch from the stock 4.5, but I feel a lot better on the sled.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far, it has been very helpful, and gave me motivation to keep moving forward on this awesome sled!

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
My current shock set-up (main/evol) FSS 50/85, FTS 50/95, RTS 110/145. Rider weight 175 lbs. without gear, so maybe 200 suited up. Any suggestions? Thanks

I am running 60/110 for the skis and front skid and 125/145 for the rear i am north of 250. Unfortunately there is no exact formula its all trial and error. But well worth the effort.

I went from a 10 to a 14 now an 18 and I didn't like my 14 or 18 until I put the Powder Pro skis on, night and day. Now it listens, as far as shock pressure I ride mostly woods with a dirt bike also and I like soft (no jumping to old) I would run 60 in front only 100 psi in the rear until I went out west (150 psi rear climbs better)

Premium Features