• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

550 ext motor swap

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
hey everyone, i have a 93 ext 550 cat with a bad cylinder on the pto side, does anyone have a decent runnable cylinder? its my step sisters sled so its not a huge modified machine. my other question is i have a 530 ext motor, and was wondering can i put the 530 engine in the ext chassis? what would i have to do to make it work? or even better can i just put the 530 top end on the 550 bottom end? the 530 is out of an el tigre. the engines appear to look the same in tooling....thanks for the help

Bills R.E. Repair

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, WA
550 EXT motor swamp

Hi

Unfortunately Arctic Cat changed a lot more then you think between the 530 & 550 motor series. Rod pin diameter was changed from 18mm to 20mm. You would not be able to swap top ends, as pistons would not fix your crankshaft. On a complete motor swamp, the 550 is the first of A/C motor series that has the water pump part of the crankcases. While the 530 used an external water pump driven by a rubber belt. None of your water pump hoses would interchange. Not that it couldn't be done, without a lot of work. There is a lot more here then you think. You can call me anytime, as I would be more then glad to fill you in on more. I also live in Washington. Land line is 509-382-4795, and cell is 509-876-6336.
Bill

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Is your 550 an EFI? I have a complete 580 engine that would bolt right in and could get it to Othello, Wa after Thanksgiving. All the electrical parts from your 550 would bolt right in to this 580. The same would work if your 550 is the carb version. I would need $300 for it without any electical parts or carburetors.

I put a 530 in a Prowler ( which is pretty much the same as the 93 EXT )
some years ago. I think I had to move the engine quite a bit forward to get the water pump housing to clear the front of the bulkhead. Also I had to widen the bar in the front that connects the frames that the front shocks mount to to get the exhaust pipe to clear. It worked well enough but was a lot of work, It would be a lot easier to fix your 550 or put a 580 in it.

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
Is your 550 an EFI? I have a complete 580 engine that would bolt right in and could get it to Othello, Wa after Thanksgiving. All the electrical parts from your 550 would bolt right in to this 580. The same would work if your 550 is the carb version. I would need $300 for it without any electical parts or carburetors.

I put a 530 in a Prowler ( which is pretty much the same as the 93 EXT )
some years ago. I think I had to move the engine quite a bit forward to get the water pump housing to clear the front of the bulkhead. Also I had to widen the bar in the front that connects the frames that the front shocks mount to to get the exhaust pipe to clear. It worked well enough but was a lot of work, It would be a lot easier to fix your 550 or put a 580 in it.

mine is a carbureted 550. and i do alot of chainsaw repair and sell saws as well if your interested in partial trade?

Premium Features