• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 summit 800 144 running rich

I
Sep 11, 2010
i have a summit 800 with 2000 miles it has run rich since day one(my cousin owned it) he was not the tinkering kind but now that it is mine i think i'm giong to try to lean it out some.
it is 100% factory right now with altitude compensator system,i run the carb heaters off all the time.
a work buddy says to gut the airbox,but i was thinking since it is rich at home in mn and out west in the mountains maybe dropping the jet size some would be the best bet.
the sled uses gas and oil like a pig and the plugs are always black and oily.it will not start out west without holding the throttle open 25% or so

any ideas on the best route to go here would be appreciated as this is my first doo
pete

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Before leaning it out , I would confirm that your oil pump & throttle cable are adjusted properly & returning to a closed position when you let off the throttle. I would also make sure that the altitude compensator is working correctly.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I don't know about the '03, but the '02 came with 520N main jets and "hoodless" needle jets.

The fix for those at the time was to drop to 480 mains and whatever the OEM needle was for the 2000.5 800 was. (I don't know the number off the top of my head)

Mileage went up significantly, but you need to keep in mind to feather the throttle if you are stuck on the trail as there is a lean spot in the midrange.

Maybe this info is of no benefit for the '03, I don't know if they had hoods on the jets or not, or if your '03 is a Zx or Rev.

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
I don't know about the '03, but the '02 came with 520N main jets and "hoodless" needle jets.

The fix for those at the time was to drop to 480 mains and whatever the OEM needle was for the 2000.5 800 was. (I don't know the number off the top of my head)

Mileage went up significantly, but you need to keep in mind to feather the throttle if you are stuck on the trail as there is a lean spot in the midrange.

Maybe this info is of no benefit for the '03, I don't know if they had hoods on the jets or not, or if your '03 is a Zx or Rev.

The 03 came with hooded needles in the carbs. The slides should be green color

Premium Features