• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pre-season maintenance

S
Jan 12, 2013
Last year was my first year playing in the snow so I have no idea what I'm doing as far as maintenance for the Timbersled. I searched the other posts and saw that a lot of people check chain tension and bearings, anything else you recommend?

What do you check before you ride?

Is there a way to check the bearings without actually removing them?

Can I just use chain wax on the chains or do I need some kind of low temp stuff?

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
pre season:
bearings
chains
bushings for fit kit
grease
chain alignment
sprocket wear
inspect/tighten loose bolts
inspect track
look down the side panels of the kit to see if the panels look damaged or twisted(anyone who has hit something hard with the chaincase knows what i mean)

pre ride: i check chain tension, sprocket wear, grease suspension parts, chain wax on chains, have used grease before though but it makes a huge mess

as far as checking the bearing, you can try taking off the chains and spinning the shafts slowly and feel for any roughness or sticky feeling spots, not perfect but might ease your mind if you dont want to remove them completely

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
About the only thing SLDHVN missed was to check and replace the carbides on your ski. The new dual skag runner that TS makes for the 10" ski is really sweet. You can 5th gear down a rutted road with one hand wide open and she tracks true. I consider that center skag to be a yearly replacement item if you ride a lot in the spring down gravel roads.

Another thing I found is that you should check your exhaust welds. I know it sounds silly, but twice I had to have my FMF w/ Powerbomb re-welded at the silencer joint due to the vibes these bikes put out at high rpm... the welds become fatigued much sooner when you are at a sustained 11K RPM.

V
Sep 22, 2008
Clean area where kit fitments to bike ,inspect with a bright light for cracking around tubing and webbing , also replace strut bolt if slightly out of round (3/8 bolt grade 8 ) , check hyfax for uneven wear ,all pivot point on suspension for friction spots ,disasemble clean relube .

Premium Features