• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM Track Tension, Does this look correct?

Dec 24, 2012
Took my sled in for it's post break in maintenance. The track had been ratcheting under really heavy snow conditions. I informed the dealer. My invoice on the maintenance listed track adjustment. Next time out track only ratcheted once during a steep hill climb with lots of throttle. Left me suspecting that the track might still be too loose, but I haven't done anything about it just yet.

Was just adjusting my clutch belt and doing some random cleaning, getting ready for the weekend, and noticed my track seems pretty saggy. Just wondering what you guys think. Also, what do you guys think of the wear on the sides of the track, that seem normal?

20130222_124535.jpg 20130222_124513.jpg

cadams

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
ND
Took my sled in for it's post break in maintenance. The track had been ratcheting under really heavy snow conditions. I informed the dealer. My invoice on the maintenance listed track adjustment. Next time out track only ratcheted once during a steep hill climb with lots of throttle. Left me suspecting that the track might still be too loose, but I haven't done anything about it just yet.

Was just adjusting my clutch belt and doing some random cleaning, getting ready for the weekend, and noticed my track seems pretty saggy. Just wondering what you guys think. Also, what do you guys think of the wear on the sides of the track, that seem normal?

Need about an inch of play. Could use a slight tighten

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Dec 24, 2012
I went ahead and adjusted it according to the manual. I placed 16 lbs. of weight on the center of the inside of the track (used a 15 lb. barbell and a 1 lb weight), with the machine suspended in the air, and adjusted till I got 1 3/8" sag at the lowest point. This approach sound reasonable?

I also checked my alignment which was slightly off. Next on the todo list, call service dept. and get some cash back for what I was charged to do this in the first place.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
obviously if it ratchets it is to loose. Bring it up a little tighter and ride it if it doesn't do it any more you are fine. As far as the cords that is normal, if the rubber starts getting tore up the track isn't running true.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I went ahead and adjusted it according to the manual. I placed 16 lbs. of weight on the center of the inside of the track (used a 15 lb. barbell and a 1 lb weight), with the machine suspended in the air, and adjusted till I got 1 3/8" sag at the lowest point. This approach sound reasonable?

I also checked my alignment which was slightly off. Next on the todo list, call service dept. and get some cash back for what I was charged to do this in the first place.

The 16# is supposed to be the amount of force that it takes to move the spring in the deflection tool, not 16# sitting in the middle of your track. Take the weight out and lift the rear off the ground. There should be about an inch of sag at the rear bump stop. Adjust accordingly.

Dec 24, 2012
Well, I'm just poking a bit of fun at the service dept of the dealer with my comment about getting money back. Took me 5 minutes to fix it, you're right.

This is my first sled, so I'm just learning as I go along. Thanks everyone for the comments, I really appreciate the newbie support! Gonna be a sick weekend here in the NW!

R
Jan 6, 2012
AK
the monkeys in the back only making min wage. wouldnt trust them with anything. they want $265 for the post 10 hour check. tighten a few bolts, grease the skid, check oil . ya do it your self

Dec 24, 2012
Just for anyone reading this thread in the future, my adjustments using the 16 lb. weight, mentioned above, worked perfectly. Ratcheting is no longer an issue.

Premium Features