• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M Series Pre-season Maintenance

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Im going to have my mechanic clean my power valves, clean my clutch, change my DD fluid, check track tension, and just give everything a good checkup. Im too lazy to do it myself haha, and i have to have him put a couple parts on that i dont know how to anyway.

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
Im going to have my mechanic clean my power valves, clean my clutch, change my DD fluid, check track tension, and just give everything a good checkup. Im too lazy to do it myself haha, and i have to have him put a couple parts on that i dont know how to anyway.

In my opinion do it yourself and learn how, at least you might have an idea whats going on when you breakdown 3 miles back in and don't have your handy mechanic around. That's just my opinion though.

As for what you mentioned to check, yeah that's a pretty good list:D

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Pressure wash
Wax
WD40 the exhaust
Remove the DD, open the case, clean/inspect, reassemble
Adjust track tension
Clean clutches
Adjust belt tension
Adjust toe-out
Tighten upper steering block bolts
Adjust Float pressures and check skid spring setting
Check wire harness for rubs, pinches,...
Adjust throttle cable
Clean inside of airbox
Still running original plugs @ 1100 miles, they still look nice and brown - Maybe I'll change them this year
Original belt as well, perhaps I'll swap it with the new spare...hmm...
Top off gas and oil
Wait 10 more weeks for pull the rope and go!

Last edited:
V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
hmm i had a lot of this stuff done after the season was over. Then if there was a problem with anything, it can be done while there is no snow flying and while parts and repair facilities are available.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
Pressure wash
Wax
WD40 the exhaust
Adjust track tension
Clean clutches
Adjust belt tension
Adjust toe-out
Adjust throttle cable
Clean inside of airbox
Still running original plugs @ 1100 miles, they still look nice and brown - Maybe I'll change them this year
Top off gas and oil

so, my big question is can you just pressure wash everything under the hood? do you cover anything up or try to avoid any areas?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I personally NEVER pressure wash anything on a sled, especially anything under the hood. You get water into some electrical components, grease zerks, or normally sealed areas by introducing water at extremely high pressures and you could be chasing that problem all winter long.

I always grab a roll of paper towels and do it all by hand with either Cat cleaner (watch out, it's slightly acidic and can F*ck up decals/paint), windex, or blue windshield washer fluid. It's mostly to clean up any oil spills, exhaust residue, clutch/belt dust, etc...I don't keep it spotless, but I do make a good effort to clean it at the end of the year so it's ready to roll in the fall.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
My underhood never gets dirty enough to pressure wash - A quick mist of the wand just to knock any dust off. In my particular case, I need to pressure wash the mud of the rear tunnel that is still stuck there from the first trip last year. :)

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
My hubby he is the best! always changes all of the sleds fluids. Cleans the clutches adjusts them. adjusts the track, (Drinks a bit of beer) stands back and looks at the sleds, uses it as an excuse to play in the garage and (Drink more beer!) cleans and inspects all our sleds. Oh I forgot I am out there with him? we keep them spotless

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
bh-38 multi -use degreaser

works really well for cleaning around the clutch and motor mounts, also brake side. or also try awesome at the dollar store. it is cheap and works well

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Thinking about snow today in Colorado and overheating my brakes at Rabbit Ears from a few years back, added flushing brake fluid to the list. It's a job that doesn't take much fluid and with one caliper, is super easy compared to a vehicle.

Check brake pad thickness and flush brake fluid
Pressure wash
Wax
WD40 the exhaust
Adjust track tension
Clean clutches
Adjust belt tension
Adjust toe-out
Adjust throttle cable
Clean inside of airbox
Top off gas and oil

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i just check everything and replace what is worn. belt, plugs, clutches, diamond drive fluid, the list is never ending...

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
What???? I better not have to wait that long!!!! More like 4 to 5 weeks!:beer;

5 weeks top is all I hope. Was up in alpine Wyoming those mountains are starting to look good up high. Can't wait. Pray for snow:beer;

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
I try to check everything that could possibly go wrong on the trails to keep us from riding. Change the drive fluid,check plugs,make sure no wires or hoses are rubbing or fraying,grease all zerks,spray lube all steering linkages. Check track alignment,tension,and condition of hi-fax's. Inspect all suspension wheels,clean and grease as needed. Detail all area under the hood,wax and polish the fiberglass,clean and spray detailer on the seat and all of the plastic and the aluminum. Now this is just to get to the trails. We usually ride from 85 to 105 miles a day so when we get back to the lodge for the night we go thru another check list. Fill fuel check belt,lube the clutches,clean the ice build up from underneath the tunnel,check the track tension and alignment,place cover on the sled and DRINK BEER !! >>>>.

Premium Features