• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Maintenance intervals with synthetic oil

N

NDflatlander

Nov 21, 2007
Jamestown, ND
I've been running syntethic oil in my vehicles for a couple years, but haven't changed the maintenance intervals at all. I still have been changing my oil anywhere from 2500-3000 miles. What do you guys do? Does anyone run the synthetic oil longer and if you do how long? This stuff is getting expensive and it seems that we're always doing a $50 oil change on something around the farm.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Change your oil 3 times your factory reccomended change intervals. If you are not using the synthetic oil for extended changes you are not getting the best benefit. I change my oil once a year on my vehicles or 20k miles. For the most part the year is up first. I do change filter at 6 months. You have to use a high effeciancy filter to do this. I have been doing this now for years. Currently I have a beetle tdi that has 197000 miles on it and it has only had the annual change. I also run WVO in it so was a bit concerned about that one. I have several truckers running there rigs to 50k miles and pulling samples at that time. Sample results..."good for continued use" With the correct filtering you can run 100k miles! BTW these are ALL Amsoil examples.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
BTW, a study done in last few months shows a potential increase of 3% fuel effeciancy using synthetic oils over std. petroleum. This combined with added protection and extended drain intervals makes it a no brainer. Actual results found in a recent fleet study yielded a 1.2% increase in economy and this was done outside the govt. studies results. Granted this means very little to us but think about the benefit to larger fleets!!!

**If you want to buy the oils at my cost I would be glad to set you up as a preferred Amsoil customer. Just PM me.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Synthetic is the only way to go...

Once a year here too, I run Mobile 1 and usually do 8000+ a year. '96 Suburban, 5.7, 12-17 MPG depending on trailer I'm pulling and wind, the 17 was between Yakima, Wa and Boise with my two place and a Dragon. I did get passed by a tumbleweed while doing 55 before I hit I84. :eek: 215000 miles now, hoping for another 100000. :D If the transmission holds up I'm sure the motor will still be going strong.

G
Nov 28, 2008
MN
Once a year here too, I run Mobile 1 and usually do 8000+ a year. '96 Suburban, 5.7, 12-17 MPG depending on trailer I'm pulling and wind, the 17 was between Yakima, Wa and Boise with my two place and a Dragon. I did get passed by a tumbleweed while doing 55 before I hit I84. :eek: 215000 miles now, hoping for another 100000. :D If the transmission holds up I'm sure the motor will still be going strong.

Should be able too. I got 275,000 on my 03 HD and it has the orignal tranny. Fluid changes are key to tranny life. I should have 300,000 by the end of June

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
a buddy has a friend who is a amsoil rep with 250k plus with out oil change on a d max. he has an auxilary oil filter that does the trick

Premium Features