• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

simple gps for tracking

S
Sep 28, 2012
basically i just want a gps that will work in areas with no cell reception etc like big horns cooke city i want to be able to set the hotel as a waypoint then be able to wonder deep in the backcountry and be able to find my way right back to the hotel anyone have any suggestions on a gps to purchase ? not looking to blow a ton of money doesnt have to have an amazing screen just something so i can wonder off and not get lost !! thanks!!

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
about any of them will make a gps track and follow you as you wander around.
However, you may want to spend enough money to get one with background maps. This can be much more helpful when you are trying to figure out how to get back. Backtracking is great in that it will take you back the way you came. However if you can look at the map and figure out the shortest route or best route it is alot more helpful than just a track trail.

I myself prefer the Garmin models. I have an Etrex Legend C. It is about 10 - 12 years old and still works great.

S
Sep 28, 2012
ahhh great advice

im totally new to the gps world thanks! i found a garmon oregon 400i for 125 bucks local here and theres a garmon etrex for 50 which to jump on?

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Im new to the gps market myself I have done a bunch or research for awhile and I think I`m going to go with the New Garmin 20 for me the new models have been broken down to a few rather than a bunch of models, the Etrex 10, 20, 30. I beleive the 10 black and white screen not sure of the options I like the 20 has color screen, waypoint, tracks your route a good memory and has memory card slot and can download Topo maps also has a compass but you have to move for it to read direction, the 30 has more options but doesn`t really seem like much more just more memory, storage space and the compass is a standing direction dont`t have to move a certain distance or speed for it to read you can stand and turn any direction and compass it operational, that feature I don`t really have to have for the price difference between the two. I have a compass in my backpack anyway.

I`m going with the 20, If I could really afford it I would go with a Garmin Rino that has the walkie talkie in it and all the gps option you`ll need but pretty expensive for me, I already carry walkie talkies.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=87771

Good Luck, Wildcard

Premium Features