• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C-tec 2 pump gas turbo

J
Jan 12, 2017
SK
This has probably already been asked a million times, but I'm considering a turbo for my 2018 early release sno pro for this season. What's my best option for a pump gas "pull'n'go" set up. I know boondocker has the side kick, but I'm hearing now that for arctic cat it's no longer a true pump gas option as it runs best at 100 octane fuel. I really just want a simple set up that requires minimal tuning(no fuel controller or mixing fuels). Not looking for huge horsepower, just want consistent horsepower at all elevations. Anyone have some insights on some good options for kits out there other than sidekick? or even some reviews on the sidekick kit?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Sounds like what you are looking for is the silber kit. But.... There were only a handful on the snow last year. Haven't been able to find anyone that had issues. They have sold a pile of them for this season so should be a lot of feedback out there soon.

N
Oct 15, 2018
Sounds like what you are looking for is the silber kit. But.... There were only a handful on the snow last year. Haven't been able to find anyone that had issues. They have sold a pile of them for this season so should be a lot of feedback out there soon.

While I'm with you in hoping the Silber kit runs flawlessly (I have one for my 18 mountain cat but haven't had it on the snow yet) even Silber isn't necessarily advertising it as a pump gas kit. It comes preset at 5psi and the manual recommends mixing AV and premium until you are over 9000'. You can drop to 3 psi and then you are good after you get above 6000'.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I was considering a sidekick for my alpha until I found out there is no pump gas option. I talked with BD at length at the salt lake snow show. They told me with the new program (that is supposed to work better than last years program) you have to run 50/50 pump/race.
I know a few guys who run silvers at high elevation with the 5lb spring on pump fuel. We have no snow here in Utah yet, so I can’t 100% verify that.

T
Nov 26, 2007
OVS has a true pump gas kit... It's been on my ER 18 for 2 seasons now... It's been from 6lbs to 10lbs on just pump gas... yeah you're going to spend a lil more and yes it has a controller that i never touch.. but it is a pull and go sled

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
OVS has a true pump gas kit... It's been on my ER 18 for 2 seasons now... It's been from 6lbs to 10lbs on just pump gas... yeah you're going to spend a lil more and yes it has a controller that i never touch.. but it is a pull and go sled

Just curious. OVS is using the Dobeck box? Nothing wrong with it, if it’s ptogrammed correctly it works very well. They using stock injectors or axillary?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Trying not to get too far off topic, but is Speedwerx able to run 8-9psi on pump gas (their claim) because they have an intercooler to keep charge temps down?

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
While I'm with you in hoping the Silber kit runs flawlessly (I have one for my 18 mountain cat but haven't had it on the snow yet) even Silber isn't necessarily advertising it as a pump gas kit. It comes preset at 5psi and the manual recommends mixing AV and premium until you are over 9000'. You can drop to 3 psi and then you are good after you get above 6000'.

I was told that the internal gate is set at 7.4 psi?

Trying not to get too far off topic, but is Speedwerx able to run 8-9psi on pump gas (their claim) because they have an intercooler to keep charge temps down?

I would assume it has something to do with the injectors that they supply, but it doesn’t really matter. They have no product available for pump or race fuel right now. They have missed their “delivery date” twice already with no firm date to be had.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I too had a phone call and was told 5 psi.
now have a MBC on the gate... as the cat is non external gated.
now on to the real problem 2 program updates and a 3rd on the way and no snow yet.... with no communication from silber about any updates needed.:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis
and this is NOT a pump gas turbo! with the low squish of this head your only fooling yourself. see page 2
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...at_Ctec_Owners_Manual.pdf?4111308540667278877

this will help

Last edited:

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I too had a phone call and was told 5 psi.
now have a MBC on the gate... as the cat is non external gated.
now on to the real problem 2 program updates and a 3rd on the way and no snow yet.... with no communication from silber about any updates needed.:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis
and this is NOT a pump gas turbo! with the low squish of this head your only fooling yourself. see page 2
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...at_Ctec_Owners_Manual.pdf?4111308540667278877

this will help

Ah there it is. The **** the sales men forget to tell you before you order. :boom:

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Ah there it is. The **** the sales men forget to tell you before you order. :boom:

Hey boys

Jeff from silber chiming in here. Few things...

1) We are conservative with our octane requirements. We've run our test sleds on pump gas at 8-10K at 5psi without issue. That said, we aren't overly comfortable advertising that as we know well that one bad batch of pump gas and you can lose a motor at that MAP on this motor.

2) We feel strongly the pump gas turbo is a bit of a grey area. You can run extensive amounts of boost on pump fuel on certain setups at certain elevations. However, if there is an environmental change, a change with the fuel, a change in elevation (too far down) you can end up in a very expensive situation very fast.

3) Most places AV gas is $1-2/gallon more than 91 non ethanol. If you are running 2 gallons per tank this is $4/extra day. 3 gallons a tank $6/extra per day. This is ridiculously cheap insurance.

4) AV gas is very stable. Fill up 4-5 5 gallon jugs and most people are set for a long time. You do not need to worry about AV gas going bad the way you need to worry about pump gas/race gas. (it'll stay good for a year)

Hope that helps.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I used to mix in a few gallons of av gas or race gas per tank just to be safe with my PG turbo but that would impact tuning from day to day depending on exactly where I ended up with my mix. Also was a PITA to get.

I, as well as others I know, now use octane booster. It is more consistent, much easier to get and simple to carry around. You can also bring it with you and add more if you start to get a detonation code. I settled on Royal Purple octane booster and have found that about half a bottle per tank is close to adding 2 gallons av gas per tank. At $12/bottle, that is only adding $6 per ride for fuel cost. And my tuning is consistent everyday. It also has good conditioning additives to keep the fuel fresh over the summer and prevents any fuel based corrosion or varnishing that is more common with the junk ethanol fuel we have to use anymore.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I used to mix in a few gallons of av gas or race gas per tank just to be safe with my PG turbo but that would impact tuning from day to day depending on exactly where I ended up with my mix. Also was a PITA to get.

I, as well as others I know, now use octane booster. It is more consistent, much easier to get and simple to carry around. You can also bring it with you and add more if you start to get a detonation code. I settled on Royal Purple octane booster and have found that about half a bottle per tank is close to adding 2 gallons av gas per tank. At $12/bottle, that is only adding $6 per ride for fuel cost. And my tuning is consistent everyday. It also has good conditioning additives to keep the fuel fresh over the summer and prevents any fuel based corrosion or varnishing that is more common with the junk ethanol fuel we have to use anymore.

Fair. But the good part about a Silber setup is you aren't retuning for octane. We honestly haven't played with octane boosters for a long time.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Hey boys

Jeff from silber chiming in here. Few things...

1) We are conservative with our octane requirements. We've run our test sleds on pump gas at 8-10K at 5psi without issue. That said, we aren't overly comfortable advertising that as we know well that one bad batch of pump gas and you can lose a motor at that MAP on this motor.

2) We feel strongly the pump gas turbo is a bit of a grey area. You can run extensive amounts of boost on pump fuel on certain setups at certain elevations. However, if there is an environmental change, a change with the fuel, a change in elevation (too far down) you can end up in a very expensive situation very fast.

3) Most places AV gas is $1-2/gallon more than 91 non ethanol. If you are running 2 gallons per tank this is $4/extra day. 3 gallons a tank $6/extra per day. This is ridiculously cheap insurance.

4) AV gas is very stable. Fill up 4-5 5 gallon jugs and most people are set for a long time. You do not need to worry about AV gas going bad the way you need to worry about pump gas/race gas. (it'll stay good for a year)

Hope that helps.

Appreciate the reply. You are correct it is cheap insurance. Just a bit of a headache to go get every few weeks but it is what it is.

I completely understand a manufacturer recommending it regardless of what they have found in their own testing. I knew when I go to Revelstoke and unload at 1500 feet I would want to add some but was hoping at home riding 7-10k I could get away with it. But the cost probably isn't worth the risk.

If the rest of the kit rips this will be a minor inconvenience and the least of my worries. If the rest of the kit has issues this will be one more headache I won't want to deal with...

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Appreciate the reply. You are correct it is cheap insurance. Just a bit of a headache to go get every few weeks but it is what it is.

I completely understand a manufacturer recommending it regardless of what they have found in their own testing. I knew when I go to Revelstoke and unload at 1500 feet I would want to add some but was hoping at home riding 7-10k I could get away with it. But the cost probably isn't worth the risk.

If the rest of the kit rips this will be a minor inconvenience and the least of my worries. If the rest of the kit has issues this will be one more headache I won't want to deal with...

Few thoughts here...

1) plenty of us unload far lower than we ride. Just TAKE IT EASY ON THE TRAIL! Once you get to elevation, hammer on er! One of the big components to det is heat. You won't get a ton of heat on the trial as load is generally low.

2) You can always drop boost. Sure you won't hit RPM. But the motor is a beast and you'll still outperform your stocker buddies by a mile. Carry that 3psi spring. If you end up struggling to find octane, just throw that in.

3) We are betting you can run pump at your elevation. We just dont want to advertise it...again.

Feel free to call if you have any further questions 9702190258 - Jeff Brines

Premium Features