• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike box on truck?

S
Oct 21, 2017
Thinking of building a box on the back of my truck to store snowbike in. Wondering if anyone has done this? My garage stays cold even with a propane heater blasting my bike it would barely melt off, so there is no benefit of putting it in there in the cold and dark after riding. Just want to keep it in truck. Never know when it will snow and go riding after work. With a little insulation and a small heater my bike would melt off nicely and dry out. Only thing is it will stick 3 feet out the back and tall enough to get bike in easily. Too redneck?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Also I just rent so it's not my garage. I frame houses so I can get free material mostly. Just a really tall topper haha

Buy a $300 trailer 6x12.

Build an enclosed.

Means the redneck will only accompany you on riding days.

If it’s parked inside the garage and insulated a small heater would cook it inside.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
It would work... I use a van and can't close the rear doors all the way and it still melts out with the heat on... There is no insulation in the storage area of the van I have... But melting out the bike is pretty important to avoid issues...if it's been through a lot of powder....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

K
Jul 7, 2011
My garage is technically insulated, but not heated, barely warmer then outside temps. I just toss a tarp over the bike with a heater blowing under it. Works great!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Just make sure if you have caked up snow on the intake or filter that it is removed so that water does not drain down into your engine........

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I had a ski bum friend that made a whole camper out of the back of his toyota. It was big enough to fit a couple bikes in it. I'd be in to do it. That would be great. I'm thinking some zinc roofing panels, framed with 2x4s. Big garage door on the back, making a floor would essentially seal it off. propane heater for 20 min would thaw everything out in the mornig.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
I had a ski bum friend that made a whole camper out of the back of his toyota. It was big enough to fit a couple bikes in it. I'd be in to do it. That would be great. I'm thinking some zinc roofing panels, framed with 2x4s. Big garage door on the back, making a floor would essentially seal it off. propane heater for 20 min would thaw everything out in the mornig.

Did it look like this?

attachment.php

12308835_10207755641431596_1661656787658557445_n.jpg

Last edited:
M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Nice and hommie looking Tim. But where do you store your SB?

I'm a back country skier as well and like the idea of warming up or taking an overnight at the trail head parking lot before/after a trek. Wondering what my overly white neighbours are going to tell me if they see something like that parked in my driveway?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
In all seriousness, while an in-bed bike "garage" sounds cool, a little enclosed trailer is about 100% more practical. AND the trailer will maintain most or all of it's value for a good while.
If cost is an issue, a Couple side jobs taking the same amount of time as building a bike shed on your truck could pay for the trailer outright.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Did it look like this?

attachment.php

This is amazing!

If you can build something that is anywhere near as cool as this, I would vote that way.

Anything short of that, I’d vote for a small enclosed trailer.

Generally I think the more redneck the better but I think you’d save time/money going the trailer route.

My 2 cents.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Pure awesomeness! I'm going to use that line at first opportunity!

Feel free to use that one AZ...no royalty needed. Just credit me but spell my name backwards - it truly is AHSIM!!

Back to the Jed Clampett mobile...although I like the quaint look, I'm using a open truck this year with two bikes but we also have an enclosed trailer. Our problem is the trailer storage. Right now I'm forced to leave it in the bush. If you're in the country, most of your neighbours are out of sight. Here in the big smoke (Toronto), we have prying eyes on all sides that don't take kindly to anything other than a status quo symbol in the driveway.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
Nice and hommie looking Tim. But where do you store your SB?

That's not my setup, that belonged to a guy I grew up with that was a pretty well known skier. Made a guess that Chris was talking about him when he mentioned a skier in the past tense that had a Toyota with a homemade camper, especially since Adam was a Baker regular and Chris spends a lot of time up there.

He had that thing pretty well set up, my buddy Joel welded up a little woodstove for it and everything. Adam's dad is a highly skilled wood worker, and there were some serious tricks they worked into that setup.

But seriously, I'd just go for an enclosed trailer before I'd strap a dog house on the back of my pickup.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
This was last year's set up. My second garage (trailer) in the driveway had the bikes in it. Pure luxury compared to keeping them in the garage which is what I'll have to do this year. I'm going to insulate the garage floor and re-pour the cement slab this fall. That should melt the bikes off asap but I'll miss having the extra room in the garage to work around other projects. I need a new neighbour.:face-icon-small-win

DSCN7904small.JPG DSCN7905small.JPG

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
That's not my setup, that belonged to a guy I grew up with that was a pretty well known skier. Made a guess that Chris was talking about him when he mentioned a skier in the past tense that had a Toyota with a homemade camper, especially since Adam was a Baker regular and Chris spends a lot of time up there.

He had that thing pretty well set up, my buddy Joel welded up a little woodstove for it and everything. Adam's dad is a highly skilled wood worker, and there were some serious tricks they worked into that setup.

But seriously, I'd just go for an enclosed trailer before I'd strap a dog house on the back of my pickup.

Yeah, Adam. Coming up on two years he is gone now :(.

Half the places I go there isn't any way in heck you could get a trailer in, especially an enclosed. I have tried. Four snowbikes in a 12ft enclosed, diesel rolling coal, sliding backwards down a steep narrow hill, me in the driver seat of my friend's girlfriends truck trying to follow him in his truck without trailer.. him saying "just giver'er bud!" NOT doing that again I hope. I laugh when people say " that is dumb why don't you get a trailer" - you have no idea.

Premium Features