• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Starter snowbike questions

C
Sep 21, 2018
So I think I want to try snow biking this winter and have been looking at kits and have found a 15 timbersled st 120 with a fit kit that will fit my 09 Wr 450 for 3500. Is this a good kit or would I be better off with a newer 120 raw kit for a $4300+tax+fit kit? Don’t know if the newer kit is much better or if I should be looking for something else.

I do most of my riding in Saskie but get to the mountains a time or two each year.

I also have a yz 250 or yz250x I could use, is the 450 a better choice or?

Thanks

Jon

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Newer kit
... Much better track and valved suspension.... I run a yz250 and a yz250x and love them... I would pick that over the wr....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
For the price difference I’d agree with Wilf, for the bike the WR is pretty soft in power but will do it. Some guys just love there 2 strokes but the percentage of guys ridding them is small.

If it was me I’d go with 2 stroke. Just to muddy up the waters a bit more..... last option is to buy the older skid and use the extra money to put a new Camso 129 track and rail extensions.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
2 strokes are fun -- but just do not have the torque needed to work well for snow.

You can wring them out for al they are worth they just don't have the grunt to ride along relaxed if you are not on the pipe they will not go. Its like using a v6 when you really need a Cummings diesel. I was riding a uphill challenge and my 2014 yz 450 all stock just ate a KTM 300xc.
I weigh in at a solid 80 pounds over the A class rider on the 300 that usually just kicks me hard when we are head to head on the same equipment.
Not bashing the smoker , they are fun to play with , but just do not really have what it takes to hang with a 450F.
Can you mod them like mad to come close -- Maybe -- does it make sense -- maybe to some. For 90% of riders a stock 450 will out do the most modded out 300 all day long and bone stock.

Premium Features