• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike maintainance concerns

J
Dec 18, 2016
I have enjoyed sleds since 2002 and have very little maintainance.
I am considering adding a snowbike
How often will i be changing oil?
What other maintainance will need to be done on a regular basis.?
How long should a snowbike last ?
Is it time to try the snowbikes or wait one more year?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Snowbike maintenance

Snowbikes more fun but more maintenance. How often you change oil is dependent on how effectively you control engine and oil temps. If running a cold engine ( less than 150 temps ) you will have fuel in your oil necessitating changing ever ride. If you can keep it warm (around 200) you could do multiple rides. I put 300 hours on my first snowbike (husky te510) and never touched the engine other than checking valve clearance. I was able to control temps with few dips below 170, 90% at 190. I changed oil at 15 to 20 hrs but never had fuel in the oil.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
If you run a 2 stroke you changing clutch oil ever 20 hours.... Temp not as crucial as a 4....skid wise I had similar maintainence on a sled.... Other than that you maintain the bike like any other Dirtbike schedule wise bumping up you rebuild time because they work a good bit harder... But like anything every riders maintenance is based on how they run their bike... The main thing is setting whatever bike you get up right the first time then they will be start and go....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

U
Sep 12, 2010
Once the bike and kit have 50 hours, expect to spend equal hours wrenching and riding. Lots of folks only put 100 hours on a bike and 200 hours on a kit before buying new, saving a lot of hassle.

Budget time and money for maintenance, and enjoy the hell our of your snowtercycle!

S
Feb 9, 2017
I have personally had much better luck with snowbikes as far as expenditures go. They have seemed to be a much more durable toy than a sled. A quick oil change and a run around with a wrench to check bolts and maintain your drive train will make your kit last a long time. I have found that radiators on the snowbike are their biggest weak spot, so get some radiator guards.

2015 Timbersled sx120 has been bolted up to 3 different bikes and has been ran hard every season since purchased.

received_1955501168101711 (2).jpeg

HenryTheHammer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Treat my snowbike no different then when setup for dirt. Change the oil every couple of rides, lube and fluid check every ride. Make sure everything is snug.
Easy peasy.

Premium Features