• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you really need to wrap a 2 stroke exhaust?

R
Jan 28, 2018
I’d like to hear from the guys who are riding 300’s. Did you wrap or ceramic coat your exhaust. Do you think it is worth the effort? I know the theory about higher exhaust temperatures in the expansion chamber but is this a real concern in the real world out in the bush? Thanks.

E
Dec 19, 2007
No wrap necessary unless you are really impatient. Some times the pipe will cool going down hill in pow and it will take about 1mississippi to heat back up and get that extra rev power. Some pipes might already be tuned on the low side and rich jetting or frozen carb will make them worse but the fatty and pc2 always worked well bare naked.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Agreed ... I have run an yz250 and have ran a cr500 no wrap needed. That engine could be 90 degrees and ripp
No wrap necessary unless you are really impatient. Some times the pipe will cool going down hill in pow and it will take about 1mississippi to heat back up and get that extra rev power. Some pipes might already be tuned on the low side and rich jetting or frozen carb will make them worse but the fatty and pc2 always worked well bare naked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

S
Dec 3, 2013
I ran a wrap for part of last year, it held up fine but it got annoying. It was always steaming up and smelled bad. A pipe guard is nice but not a necessity. I would choose a bare pipe over a wrap if those were my only choices.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
I have run my KX5 pipe with no wrap for 4 seasons with no problems. I do have a guard on it. I think Portgrinder and his pals experimented with ice cold pipes on the dyno. Maybe he could chime in and tell us what they discovered.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The only advantage I can see is it might slow down the pipe cracking issue of the 500. My CR500 cracks the pipe pretty regularly, its an older Gnarly but it cracked it the first season it was on there. Reducing the cold shock might make it last better. I'm just going to have two pipes going and keep then welded up.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
To solve that I got rid of fmf... Hate to bash but I have had pipes crack from them from yz85 up to my 500... Zero problems with Procircuit or the CPI (this one was bulletproof)

M
Jan 14, 2004
Maybe I will try one of those. I agree the FMF is crap it was just on the bike when I bought it.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Mine was at the first bend out if the cylinder... ... Change pipe manufacturer ... Problem solved nickle plating will help also ...

M
Jan 14, 2004
If I do the CR500 to KTM frame swap this season I will be in the market for a new pipe anyways. I have all the boxes of parts to do it just don't have a box of motivation right now. Actually I'm not sure its worth the effort for a snow bike vs the 500 steely frame.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Thanks can tell you this moving from a steely cr500 frame to the 2014 450sxf it was a huge change in handling and nimbleness with the new chassis... I thought the same thing as you snowbike was but was proven wrong... Take it for what it is worth... 97 to 2014 was a big jump in frame tech.
If I do the CR500 to KTM frame swap this season I will be in the market for a new pipe anyways. I have all the boxes of parts to do it just don't have a box of motivation right now. Actually I'm not sure its worth the effort for a snow bike vs the 500 steely frame.

M5

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks can tell you this moving from a steely cr500 frame to the 2014 450sxf it was a huge change in handling and nimbleness with the new chassis... I thought the same thing as you snowbike was but was proven wrong... Take it for what it is worth... 97 to 2014 was a big jump in frame tech.

The main difference is in head tube angle.

Take the steelie and lengthen the strut rod (or tss) and lower the subframe and i bet you get 90% of the gains. ( minus the 2x4 seat, tiny tank and all the work )

M
Jan 14, 2004

I know what you mean, I rode my YZ last season almost every day, I just miss the power and lighter feel of the 500. The 2 stroke carries most of its weight low in the frame, no cams etc etc etc. In the steely frame with the LT it can get to be a handful, mostly when I'm riding it slow, when I'm ripping in 2nd or 3rd gear it makes no difference. Quite often I can grab 4th and even 5th in a climb, it just rips.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I tell you at this point I like the trees so much that I have been focusing on nimbleness and reliably at this point in riding. Now the Cr500 I had was on an 15 LT so changing to the Camso and yz250 was probably a big jump in both departments... For me it just lends itself to more smiles .... More work than some bikes to get from point a to b but man its just plain fun...

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I have run my KX5 pipe with no wrap for 4 seasons with no problems. I do have a guard on it. I think Portgrinder and his pals experimented with ice cold pipes on the dyno. Maybe he could chime in and tell us what they discovered.

That tech is available when you phone up and order the best snowbike pipe ever built haha. Too many folks on here in the past taking ideas and selling them as their own.

But anyhow wrap is junk. Don’t bother for many reasons.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I assume Neil's pipe is the person your phoning?

Premium Features