• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on Garmin rino 520 or 530

B
Dec 21, 2006
I am considering upgrading my Rino 120. I am wondering if anybody out there has done the same and has any suggestions for me. Is the 530 worth the extra $50? Do you actually use the additional features? How long do the rechargable batteries work in the mountains? Thanks for any help.

S

Spector

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
530 has the electronic compass which is really nice for zeroing in on a location and it has the barometric altimeter.
I would suggest getting the Hcx version whichever one you get, it has the high sensitivity GPS chip which makes a huge difference in tree cover etc.
They also except maps on microSD card where the non-Hcx versions don't.

I have a 530Hcx and really like it.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
The rechargeable batt. lasts forever, it seems. I don't have to recharge it every ride. I have a 520, not the lastest technology one. The color screen is great and will probably be your best improvement.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Batteries on the 520/530 are great. I charge them up for the first ride and can make it a weekend and then some if I need to. I just sent one of my 530's in for a speaker issue and the guy told me to keep the battery and they'd fix the unit and send it back. They ended up sending me a new one and guess what, it had a battery on it. I called them and they said just keep it not worth sending back but thanks for the call... Now I have one extra battery.:)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I have a 120.

Batteries last a really long time.

Honestly though I wish I had the 530 ... it's everything the 120 is and more.

I think it'd be worth it to save up and get the 530 IMO ....

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
We had the 120s and upgraded to the 530HCX... it is really good. Today for example, I had it wrapped in a sock cap stuffed in my hood back and it tracked the whole day no problem.

The radio is about a million times better than the 120. And SD chip can hold more maps than I care to put in it.

As someone else said, battery life is great... I've ridden 2 full days on one charge and it is currently at 52% remaining although I haven't used the radio much.

And the color screen is lots easier to read than the 120 screen was.

So yea, I'd recommend an upgrade.

sled_guy

T
Dec 10, 2007
my buddy and i got the 120's about 3 years ago just for hunting. its nice to see each others location and what not.... this year we upgraded to the 520's. ITs worth getting atleast the 520. The batterys last a heck of a lot longer then in the 120. You get a lot better range with it also. definately spend the extra coin, its worth it. Plus you can store so much more info on them.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Got the 520 HCx for xmas, awesome rig. I bought a BOSS seat with the shovel pouch, and I just turn this on, pop it in the pocket on the inside, dry as a bone, not a single bit of interference. Don't have much to compare against as this is my first GPS unit, but it does all I need plus way more so... yup, worthy investment.

800HMRK

Dec 17, 2007
Alaska
I have the older version of the 530 and really like it. Wish I had the HCX version but it wasn't out when I bought mine.

R

RMKRAZY

Aug 5, 2001
UTAH
Hcx

530HCx is a great unit - can't be the ability to add 2 GB of memory via the microSD slot. I also like the NOAA weather radio in the 530 unit - great to know what might be on the way!

Another reason I really like the Rino is that they are 5W radio's with the Lithium battery pack(2W with alkaline pack). Very few FRS/GMRS radios can push at 5W. You have some great range in these units vs other radios for finding lost buddies or in the case of an emergency.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Now, who has the best price? It looks like I have found the 530hcx for $499.99 and the 520hcx for $449.99. Any cheaper?

i could have sworn i saw the 530 hcx for 389.99 the other day... i think it was on amazon or something... it will be my next purchase, but i am waiting till i can find it for 349 at least. By the time you add maps, SD card your looking at another $150... but im a freaking map nut and must know the names of all mountains, creeks, lakes, roads, etc...

maybe this will help -- looks like $340 with shipping will be your cheapest. Check on the warranties before you buy...
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=garmin+530hcx&scoring=p&safe=on&sa=N&start=10

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
newegg is pretty good with the price of the 530hcs, 2gb microsd card wasn't too bad either

paying for maps?, torrents are out there for everything, north american navigation is pretty sweet.:D though it is a shame that usa topo is not at the same resolution as usgs topo maps, only the national parks ones are.

FWIW

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
newegg is pretty good with the price of the 530hcs, 2gb microsd card wasn't too bad either

paying for maps?, torrents are out there for everything, north american navigation is pretty sweet.:D though it is a shame that usa topo is not at the same resolution as usgs topo maps, only the national parks ones are.

FWIW

newegg lists for 389.95 which must have been where i saw it for that price...

your using torrents to download maps? how do you live with yourself...

my grandpa was head of the US Polar operations for years and spent most of his life surveying and mapping the north and south poles, including surviving the US east base in the antarctic (quite a story mind you) and several trips with admiral byrd and ill be d@mned if he risked life and limb to map this stuff so people could steal it off the internet...

now i know where my jonzin for maps comes from...

Premium Features