• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New idea for battery replacement save weight

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
I posted this in the Yamaha forum. But figured you guys over here might be interested in this also.

Maybe not new idea, but for sleds maybe. We've been testing this setup this season so far. Its been pretty flawless. There is some time needed to fit the two components and wire them together but in total the weight savings is good and for not super high dollars. Considering the EarthX battery we were running weighed in at 4lbs this set up came in at 2.88lbs for about the same price as the EarthX battery.
The main reason we looked into this idea, is the Viper seems to be plagued with a voltage issue. If it wasn't good and strong, its would do all kinds of crazy things.

Super Capacitor http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Eaton/XVM-16R2656-R/?qs=JUaLNLaZVXYJ%2fQBssI7LKw%3d%3d
hobby battery https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-4200mah-4s2p-30c-lifepo4-pack.html

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Do you have a write up about how to put it all together? Do you have to pull start it after it sits overnight to get a full charge to the capacitor?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Nothing yet really. Just have it wired in and zip tied in place. But is pretty simple plus to plus ground to ground. The hobby battery keeps the super cap charged. In theory you could just run the super cap with out the hobby battery. But you would need a pull start on your sled as well as the electric start. Once the sled is running it will charge the super cap. The super caps do leak so after a week or so they would need to be re charged. But for a day of riding you'd be good.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Would be cool if you guys would do a little write-up with pics to show just how you did it. What gauge wiring you used, where you mounted everything. Have been waiting to put my estart in my 16 Limited because of having to mount the battery in the engine compartment. Looks like this would save me a ton of time having to fab in the battery box and use less room. Does the sleds charging system recharge the hobby battery or do you have to recharge it with a wall charger?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Would be cool if you guys would do a little write-up with pics to show just how you did it. What gauge wiring you used, where you mounted everything. Have been waiting to put my estart in my 16 Limited because of having to mount the battery in the engine compartment. Looks like this would save me a ton of time having to fab in the battery box and use less room. Does the sleds charging system recharge the hobby battery or do you have to recharge it with a wall charger?

The sled were using this on is the viper. So its different under the hood than your 800. But I would follow your instructions of the Estart install. Then when it gets to the battery part. Find a location under the hood and just run the wires as needed. I used 12G but thats good for about 12"-14" if you longer than Id go 10G.
The sleds charging system will charge both the capacitor and the hobby battery. I personally have a disconnect plug for each, just to make it easier to remove if needed.

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
I wouldn't trust hobby Lipos under the hood of my sled. Yes, they are light weight, but they need to be balance charged and carefully discharged.

They're prone to catching fire when not handled with great electrical caution, or damaged in any way!

Sent from my Palm Pilot

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Ok so we were out again over the weekend. Again totally in love with this set up. Next time out I will try just the Super caps on a warm engine. But this time around sled sat for two weeks(with hobby battery unplugged) the Super caps drained down to about 0.35v plugged the hobby battery back in waited 2min for it to charge the Super cap and it fired right up. No hesitation. It had been -20C over night and about -15C when started.
Next morning tried just the Super Cap. temps were about -12C unplugged the hobby battery and it didn't fire. Then plugged the hobby battery back in waited 2 min and it fired up took a little longer but still started, with out any issues

Also next time out will try them on a 2S 800 cold and warm. with both Super cap and hobby battery and then just the Super cap.

https://youtu.be/42iHKjfGggY
https://youtu.be/FYO09RyzS_Y

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Some brochure pics popping up on faceyspace are insinuating that skeedoo will be releasing a setup like this next year to start there sleds. Called it the shot start or something like that

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Some brochure pics popping up on faceyspace are insinuating that skeedoo will be releasing a setup like this next year to start there sleds. Called it the shot start or something like that

Yes, skidoo is on the ball with this. Just wonder how many cranks you can get outta that set up before you have no battery

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Not new tech by any means. But finally someones using it. Good on Doo.
Im very interested in how they "programmed" their system to use the magneto. Since physics and electricity are still the same. Im wondering if its usable on other sleds and other brands
Time will tell

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Sure this will end up like the "perc" reverse, Doo is charging $600 for it now. But I would imagine within the next couple of years all sleds will have it as standard equipment just like reverse. By adding only 2 pounds who wouldn't want it? Awesome:)

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Electric start

You'd think some one in the aftermarket would design a kit like this.
Ultra light weight electric start.
I'd have it on all my sleds if they did.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
We have discovered that the hobby battery stopped woking. Last weekend, after a full weekend of use it just didn't have enough to fire the sled. We put the voltmeter on it read 13.1v but what we've read now is the hobby batteries have a special balancing program but into the hobby battery charges. So from what I can figure, the sleds charging system does not. So the hobby battery is pooched. Its a bit swollen and I believe it is now toast. But it was fun experimenting with it. I have now a small Interstate AGM in its place. Its working perfect. Plus it doesn't need any special balancing when its getting charged on the sled.
This is the battery Ill be ordering for the other sled.
http://saskbattery.com/ecommerce_109.htm

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
I wouldn't trust hobby Lipos under the hood of my sled. Yes, they are light weight, but they need to be balance charged and carefully discharged.

They're prone to catching fire when not handled with great electrical caution, or damaged in any way!

Sent from my Palm Pilot
Yup, wrong battery for the job.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Yup, for sure. Nothing blew up. The hobby battery failed to function. Then just got a bit swollen. Glad I tried it. and it only cost $45 so no great financial loss.
I still think this is a great set up. Just not with the hobby battery.
Im pretty sure you could rig up a 12v hobby battery charger to the sleds charging system to it can balance the hobby battery. But I think that might be not worth the time and effort. Since light weight AGM are readily available.

Premium Features